Has school started again at your house? I’m torn between not wanting summer to end, and eagerly anticipating fall vibes. Ashley is back in her severe special needs classroom, they start mid-August here in SoCal. As I’ve said before, she adores it. And Ginger and Zoe will be at the public homeschool charter school in September, where Zoe has been for the last two years. It’s 2 days a week at the center, the other 3 days at home. Only now Zoe is in high school. Whaaaaaattt?! Yup, she’s a 9th grader this year, I can’t believe it! Plus she’s taking more dance classes this year, most of which are paid for by the charter. Pretty awesome. I’m so proud of all my kids and their sweet hearts. 🙂 And even though school has partially begun for us, it’s going to be the hottest week of the summer this week, into the triple digits. We will definitely be in the pool every afternoon!
As scones go, I think they mean different things to different people. Depending on where you live and what you grew up eating, scones might be soft or crumbly inside. They were crumbly inside where we lived, so that’s what I prefer 🙂 I made these awesome scones for those of you who can’t do eggs or nuts! They’re super good, I can’t wait for you to make them!
Chocolate Chip Scones
gluten-free, paleo, egg-free, nut-free, dairy-free
based on Chocolate Chips Scones from my book, Easy Paleo Meals
variations to follow
- Set the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine with an electric mixer.
- Transfer the dough (it will be in crumbles) to the lined sheet and press it into a square at the desired size.
- Slice all the way through to make 4 triangles, but do not pull them apart yet. Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
- Do not disturb the scones until they are cool, then stick the sheet in the fridge to set the scones. They won’t hold together when warm, but will be delightful cold or brought to room temperature after refrigerating.
- Store refrigerated.
Variations: omit the chocolate chips and add fresh lemon or orange zest, crumbled freeze-dried strawberries, or dried cherries