Chewy Paleoleos: Paleo Cookies for Valentine’s Day

What do you make for Valentine’s Day treats when cheating isn’t an option? Make these heart shaped Paleoleos from my latest book The Paleo Chocolate Lovers’ Cookbook. My Chewy Paleoleos are the perfect Valentine’s dessert for friends, family and sweethearts!
“Your prayers are answered. Dairy-free chocolate. You may just want to lick the pages of Paleo Chocolate Lovers Cookbook.” —Elana’s Pantry
“An entire book filled with recipes, every single one safe for me and my way of eating.” —Beth at Tasty Yummies
“You won’t even miss those rotten gluten-filled deserts that sent our bodies into a whirlwind of chaos and digestive distress.” —Grass Fed Girl

Chewy Paleoleo Homemade Paleo Cookies

gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free

Cookies Ingredients:
1 cup (112 g) any nut flour
1/2 cup (46 g) raw cacao powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup (packed) soft pitted Medjool dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon water
Filling Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted coconut butter/cream concentrate
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-6 teaspoons water, as needed
Cookies Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the nut flour, raw cacao powder, and salt.
2. In a food processor with an S blade, process the dates until a ball forms.
3. Add the vanilla extract, water, and flour mixture to the dates in the food processor, and process for about 20 seconds. (It will look like fine crumbles.)
4. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet, and lift the sides of the paper to squeeze the dough into a solid mass.
5. Lay another piece of unbleached parchment paper on top, and roll the dough between the 2 pieces of paper to about 8″ x 10″.
6. Remove the top piece of parchment paper, and use heart-shaped cookie cutters to cut out cookie shapes. Carefully transfer the cookies to a flat plate or cutting board covered with another piece of parchment paper.
7. Press the dough scraps together, and roll the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to the same thickness as the first cookies. Continue cutting and rolling until there isn’t enough dough left to roll.
8. Freeze the cookies on the paper-covered plate or cutting board for about 45 minutes before adding the filling.
UPDATE: Not all dates are the same. Some are more moist than others. If your dough won’t come together, try adding a little oil or another date :-)
Filling Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut butter/cream concentrate, honey, vanilla extract, and water.
2. Add more water as needed until the mixture reaches the consistency of frosting.
To assemble:
1. Remove the cookies from the freezer, and turn half upside-down.
2. Spread the filling across half of the cookies. Don’t worry about being neat, just pile it on there.
3. Place another cookie on top to make sandwiches. Press the cookies together so that the filling begins to come out around the edges. Use a butter knife to go around the edges, scraping the excess away.
Store the cookie sandwiches in the refrigerator.
Makes 9 cookie sandwiches about 2 inches at the widest part of the heart.

Comments

1. Sarah in CA says

is there a substitution for the dates? As a type 1 diabetic I should never eat dates as that causes my blood glucose to shoot above 200+ on my meter. Otherwise the cookies look divine. The filling would work in many other recipes. Thanks so much.

My daughter and I are in the process of making these right now! So delicious so far…one question though. The filling? How does yours look so white? When I added the honey and vanilla to the coconut butter, it turned a caramel color. Still tastes fabulous, so it’s not a big deal, I just wonder if I did something wrong?

I had to try…very tasty dough, but I had a lot of trouble getting the dough to come together. I added 2 extra teaspoons of water, but still too dry. I added 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and then the dough was lovely to work with. Thanks!

Sarah, This is not a low-sweetener recipe for sure. I would stick with another one of my recipes, and stay away from the date recipes :-)

Jules, No, I doubt coconut flour will work. I’ve used walnut meal, and I think even a sunflower seeds (ground) would work.

Dana, Yes, no bake :-)

Beckie, The filling is not white, but when it chills it will be whiter.

Karen, They have it in lots of stores, and you can click on the link in the post too :-)

I wish I could show you a photo of your cookbook right now! My daughter (who can’t eat soy dairy gluten) got a hold of it and marked all the pages she wants us to make. The book is now bulging with bright green bookmarks! Our first recipe is going to be the chocolate donuts.
    I was also wondering if you would be willing to let me post the donut recipe on my blog (of course with all the proper accolades to you etc..) feel free to check out my site and let me know if that would be okay.
    Thanks for all the hard work that makes our lives so much better!
    Jodie

These were a huge hit with my 6 and 8 year old girls. We actually rolled the left over bits of dough into “power balls”, which were a huge lunch box hit!- Adria

These are so easy to make and taste decadent. My picky 3 year old (aka: Hope and Tom’s grandson, Nolan) couldn’t stop eating the cookie dough – which made me very happy because I have trouble getting him to eat healthy fats. I found them to be the perfect Saturday morning breakfast with a cup of coffee for myself. Thanks for the recipe and congrats on all your success here!

8. Amy lee says

Betting my gf/sf/corn free/cf boy will like these. Pulling healthy treats over on a 13 y/o is trickier than the young ins! Even if he has been eating this way for several years;) I smile when I see the family chefs starting their tikes early:) Good plan! I am wondering if using the coconut nectar instead of honey would work? He seems to react to honey now too:(

Thank you Kelly for all of your hard work in the kitchen/lab:). And for sharing your gifts with all of us! Your a blessing to many of us!

Best,
    Amy

9. Heather says

I made these cookies for Valentine’s Day and they turned out great. My son used them for part of a dessert for the Valentine’s dinner he cooked for his girlfriend. She has several food sensitivities. I found them a great treat and that one was enough. They were also easy to make. I will be making them again, possibly changing the flavor of the filling a bit with orange or strawberry. Just to put a bit of a twist on the coconut. Thank you for so many good ideas!

10. Michele Voss says

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I can’t get the frosting to be anything other than watery