While we were on our book tour / road trip for nearly a month I daydreamed about what we would do when we got home. I imagined how I could simplify our life and make more time for the kids. One of my thoughts was to do more menu planning. It’s so nice knowing what will be for dinner every night, breakfast every morning, and even lunch too. And having a plan prevents those days where I spend all day cooking meals. I create my one week menu around the idea of making no more than one meal a day, and I double it so that there’s leftovers.
Pumpkin Paleo Chili
Makes about 5 servings.
4 cups 3 cups chopped yellow onion
8 cloves garlic, chopped
2 pounds 1 pound ground turkey
2 (15 oz) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large pot saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil for about five minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spatula as it cooks for about five minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer without a lid for about 15 minutes.
- Add more chicken broth to thin slightly if desired.
- Serve with a nice big salad.