Lately I have been craving ground beef. I take this as my body’s way of telling me that I need to eat it. So one night I decided to make cheeseburger soup. I’ve been creating recipes for long enough to know that I was most definitely not the first person to think of this 🙂 I knew that a quick Google would show me a bajillion recipes for cheeseburger soup. But I also knew that they would all be made with dairy, probably not even real dairy, but like Velveta. Eew. I whipped up this dairy-free cheeseburger soup in no time, and amazingly enough my entire family loved it. So I made it again, and again. We’ve had it three times now, always this exact same way. It’s so easy. We have it with salad, and then I put so much shredded lettuce on top of my soup that it’s practically another salad. (I held way back on the lettuce in this photo – I figured you needed to see some of the soup 🙂 )
Don’t forget this Saturday is my 12-year-old daughter Zoe’s book signing! Please join me in celebrating her first published book, and while you’re at Snackin’ Free get some paleo tortillas and pizza crusts to take home with you!
Dairy-Free Cheeseburger Soup
paleo, gluten-free, grain-free
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
2 cups tomato puree
2 cups beef broth
1 and 1/2 cups plain cashews
2 teaspoons arrowroot flour
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 and 1/2 teaspoons pink salt
1. Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over low to medium heat.
2. Add a tablespoon of fat (I use bacon grease), the onion, garlic, and ground beef.
3. Stir occasionally, breaking up the beef, and cook until the meat is no longer pink, and the onions are tender.
4. Add the tomato puree and increase the heat to medium.
5. Add the beef broth, cashews, arrowroot flour, tomato paste, and salt to the blender, and puree until completely smooth.
5. Pour the puree into the pot, and bring to a boil.
6. Once a boil is reached, turn off the heat, and allow to cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve with shredded romaine lettuce, and chopped green onions.
This recipe comes from the soup chapter in my new book, Easy Paleo Meals. Soups are one of my go-tos for fast easy healthy dinner 🙂