You may remember the scones I packed last year, on our road-trip to California. I quickly realized that they were great crumbled with almond milk, and that the kids preferred them that way. Just as Zoe loves “mac-n-cheese,” despite the fact that she’s never actually had “the real thing,” my kids are drawn to cereal, although they’ve never eaten cereal before. I think it’s fascinating. And it’s not that they’ve seen cereal advertising either, because we don’t have TV. We had it for a month after Ginger was born, but not before or ever since. There’s just something really appealing about cereal I guess.
This Shortbread Gluten-Free Cereal is so good, especially with some sliced strawberries (think Strawberry Shortcake – yum). It’s not super crunchy, so if that’s what you’re looking for, then I would keep searching. My cereal is a buttery kind of crunchy, like shortbread. Next time I make it I’m going to add cinnamon. It would be AMAZING with cinnamon.
***Keep in mind that if you make it with gelatin (collagen powder), like I have been, that it will err… prevent constipation… if you know what I mean. Since Ashley struggles in that department, this cereal has been BRILLIANT for her. Personally, I don’t need any help with that, so I have to keep my portion to a minimum, or make it with egg protein instead. By the way, did I ever tell you how I stumbled across the reason that gelatin helps treat constipation?! It increases stomach acid production, which aids in digestion!!! I’ve also heard that coconut oil makes you go, but we’ve never noticed that in our family, and we eat a ton of coconut oil. Everybody’s different though 🙂
Shortbread Gluten-Free Cereal
gluten-free, GRAIN-Free, dairy-free, low sugar,
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/3 cup protein powder OR this collagen powder*** (see paragraph above)
2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder (I don’t think a substitute would work for this)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (I think it might work with 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup applesauce, but I haven’t tested it yet)
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons honey
- Set the oven to 200F.
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients on top of the dry and combine with an electric mixer.
- Line a cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper, then pour the mixture onto the lined sheet.
- Place another piece of paper over the top, then roll the cereal out between the papers, to the desired thickness.
- Remove the top paper, and use a pizza wheel to score the dough, to the desired size. (mine are about 1/4 inch squares)
- Do NOT attempt to separate the cereal at this point.
- Bake for about 1 and 1/2 hours, or until it’s nicely golden brown. Keep in mind that the bottom with be more toasted (and darker) than the top.
- Let it cool completely before breaking the pieces apart.
- Serve with almond milk and sliced strawberries.
Makes about 6 servings, depending on the serving size.
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more news and subscriber giveaways!