Chocolate Dairy-Free Ice Cream
1 (13-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
heaping ½ cup (about 10) soft, pitted Medjool dates
1 cup almond, cashew, or hemp milk
1/3 cup cocoa or raw cacao powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
optional thickener: 1 tablespoon gelatin completely dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water OR ½ teaspoon guar gum
- Put the coconut milk, and dates in the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add the almond, cashew, or hemp milk, cocoa or raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, and thickener (if using). Puree until smooth.
- Freeze for about an hour or refrigerate until cold.
- Pour into the ice cream machine, per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Eat right away or freeze until hard for pretty scoops.
- If frozen solid, thaw for 10 to 20 minutes before scooping.
Tip: A shallow dish allows for more even thawing than a deep dish.
P.S. Real Food Recipes from The Spunky Coconut is on sale this weekend! Expires 5/26/15