Dairy-Free Coffee Creamer

creamer_1

DAIRY-FREE coffee creamer. Oh heck yes. When I have iced coffee I always use fair trade decaf coffee, with some almond milk in it, but then this recipe happened by accident, and I’m madly in love with it.

creamer_making

I mean, seriously. It even looks like dairy creamer when you pour it in. All marble-like. Then you stick in that spoon, and swirl it around, and you have caramel colored iced coffee. It’s insane. I don’t even think it needs added sweetener. The creamer is sweet enough for me.

What happened was I was soaking some blanched almonds in order to use the wet meal to make these stellar biscuits (that recipe will be coming soon) that taste like a McDonald’s bacon egg and cheese biscuit (yes, I just admitted that a million years ago I used to eat McDonald’s garbage. please forgive me, I was young and uninformed.)

Anywho, you know how we just moved… no, I’m wrong, I can’t blame it on that… it’s because we lost or broke or gave away all our big glass pitchers that we use for nut milks (mental note: buy more big glass pitchers.). So in my head I was thinking that I wanted lots of soaked ground almond meal, but that I didn’t have a container for all that almond milk. And that’s why I decided to use WAY less water, which resulted in concentrated cream. Eeek!

I hope you love it too :-)

Dairy-Free Coffee Creamer

2 cups blanched almonds**
1 and 1/2 cups water (this ingredient was edited on 6.1.14)

1. Soak the almonds overnight in enough water to cover plus 2 inches. (I’ve been soaking mine in the fridge these days.)
2. Strain the almonds, rinse them well, then strain again.
**If your almonds have the skin on then you need to add a step here: Strain the soaking water and pour boiling water over the soaked nuts (I don’t know why, but this makes the skins come off so much easier). When the nuts are cool enough to handle they will pop right out of their skins—Just rub one at a time between your thumb and your index finger.
3. Add the almonds to the food processor fitted with the S blade.
4. Begin pureeing, then slowly add the water while the machine is running.
5. Puree for about one minute after all of the water is added.
6. Place a cheesecloth (or a thin cloth napkin) over a strainer. Place the lined strainer inside a bowl.
7. Pour the puree over the cloth. Lift the cloth, twist, and squeeze out as much of the cream as you can.
8. Set the wet almond meal aside to make the cookies in my eBook or my biscuit recipe. (This direction was edited on 6.11.14)
9. Refrigerate the cream in a glass container with a lid.

Makes about 1 and 1/2 cups of cream.

Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more news and subscriber giveaways!

Comments

1. Ann Marie says

Note to self: buy almonds! Lol we have been doing whole30 (on day 25) and my poor husband is dying for coffee creamer! He tolerates coconut milk but it makes him gassy he says lol!! Maybe this will give him a better flavor :)

2. liese says

Do you find a difference between the processor and blender like Vitamix?
    i use the Vitamix to make almond milk.

I made almond milk this morning to make your incredible pancakes and found this post! Can’t wait to try it. My family of 8 LOVES your delicious recipes! Thank you for being so wonderful.

4. Nancy says

I’m on a Whole 30 (day 23) and am completely over coconut milk in the can. Will this work with cashews? I do not have a food processor or vitamix and am not able to buy either. Will a regular Oster blender work ok? Thanks!

5. Magda says

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I’m doing the Whole30 so no dairy for now and I cannot drink my coffee black. I tried a coconut milk creamer and it’s not that great. I tried the bulletproof coffee and while it’s okay, I have to break out my Blendtec every morning and when the coffee gets cold, it’s no longer that great…. this worked beautifully. I had some soaked and dehydrated almonds in my fridge (with skins) and I used that (halving the recipe). The creamer looks just like dairy in my coffee and it doesn’t separate at all. You rock!!!
    P.S. Totally love your picture on the main page – beautiful!

6. Jeania Messer says

I made this yesterday! I have used it all. Making more tonight, and I’m thrilled!! I got lazy (forgot) to remove the peels by blanching them. It was still awesome, but it made my food processor noisily unhappy with me, but it will do it right tomorrow! I will be using this to make flavored creamers. Love it with a smidgen of stevia and just coffee though! Thanks Kelly!!

7. Cassie says

My almonds are soaking now and reading back through the directions I am unsure of one thing. While I am pureeing the strained almonds am I adding back in the water I strained out or fresh water?

Cassie

8. Julie says

This is totally delicious. I made half the recipe and used my blender. I couldn’t get it to mix without adding slightly more water than half the recipe would have specified – everything just went to the sides of the blender. I added maybe 1/4 cup more water and the consistency was still great in my coffee. Next time I will just make the full recipe. Any idea how long this will keep in the fridge? I read something like homemade almond milk will last 3 days in the fridge, but that’s a whole lotta work for only 3 days worth of coffee creamer!

9. Barbara says

Wow! Almond cream! Fantastic! Please please please give me some awesome ideas of how else I can use this creamer other than in coffee. We don’t drink coffee, but I so want to make your bacon biscuits!!!!! Thank you!

Kelly, Do you think this would be good made with macadamia nuts? I am allergic to many nuts and am looking for alternatives. This looks amazing.