Today I have the easiest oven roasted steak recipe for you! Zoe and Ashley are so excited when our box arrives and we get to have this amazing steak. And speaking of our box, I’d like to say a big welcome and thanks to our newest sponsor, Bos Creek! We are so happy to have you!
Andy’s dad Jeff grew up on a farm in Upstate, New York. They raised grass-fed cattle in the 1960s, but Jeff laughs that this wasn’t because their family was trying to be progressive. His dad (Andy’s grandpa) was just too cheap to buy grain feed, hormones, or antibiotics. Because Jeff grew up eating superior beef, he’s always been critical of the alternative. He says (and we agree) that grass-fed beef tastes so much better.
Easy Oven Roasted Strip Steak
New York Stip steak (I’ve also done this with other kinds of steaks)
about 2 tablespoons of ghee
salt and pepper
1. Bring the steak to room temperature. (Do not skip this step.)
2. Put a cast iron skillet in the oven, about 6 inches below the broiler.
3. Turn the broiler on low, and let the skillet heat for 20 minutes. (I always set a timer.)
4. Pat the steak dry, then coat both sides generously in ghee.
5. I like to go crazy with the onion and garlic powder. Use as much or as little as you like though. Sprinkle on a good amount of salt as well (I use probably half a teaspoon on each side), and add a few cranks of pepper. Do this to both sides.
6. When the timer for the skillet goes off, carefully take it out using oven mitts. Lay your steak straight onto the hot skillet and put it back under the broiler.
7. Set the timer for 3 minutes for rare, 5 minutes for medium.
8. Carefully remove the skillet with oven mitts, flip the steak over, and put it back under the broiler for the same amount of time as the first side.
9. When the timer goes off for the second side carefully remove the skillet with oven mitts, and use tongs to put the steak on a plate. Cover the steak (I use a mixing bowl turned upside down since we don’t use foil) and let it rest for 5 minutes.
10. Serve alone or sliced on top of salad, however you like.