Fettuccine Alfredo

Fettuccine Alfredo. Swoon. Right? I’m totally one of those anti-milk-drinking people who loves recipes that taste like they’re made with milk, but they’re not. :-) Like a vegetarian who eats fake chicken. That’s me and milk.
I didn’t give up milk because I thought it was strange for people to drink cow milk (which of course it is, even calves wean :-) I gave it up because the protein in cow milk, casein is almost identical to gluten on a molecular level. So Ashley and I have a very similar reaction to casein that we do to gluten. It isn’t pretty.
It’s interesting though, my oldest, Zoe, who is 11, doesn’t even remember eating cow milk or cheese. She had just had her second birthday when we found out that dairy and gluten were the cause of her health problems. (She hadn’t grown or gained weight the entire year before her second birthday!) But guess what Zoe’s favorite thing to eat is? Yup, you’re lookin’ at it. Fettuccine Alfredo. Which she calls Mac-N-Cheese.
So I guess even people who didn’t grow up eating wheat and dairy are just as much in love with Fettuccine Alfredo as those of us who did :-)
Fettuccine Alfredo
dairy-free, casein-free, paleo, gluten-free
2 packages of Cappello’s fettuccine or whatever gluten free noodles you use (rice, sweet potato**)
1 & 1/4 cup plain cashew pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil, butter substitute, whatever you use
1 tsp Herbamare
1 tsp lemon juice
1 head of broccoli, chopped and steamed
**If you use sweet potato noodles or zucchini noodles note that they won’t absorb the sauce the way Cappello’s fettuccine will, and you may want to cut the sauce ingredients in half.
1. Puree the cashews, broth, water, oil, Herbamare, and lemon juice until completely smooth. Set aside.
2. Cook the noodles according to the directions.
3. Strain the noodles, and discard the cooking water.
4. Return the noodles to the hot pot.
5. Pour the sauce over the noodles, add the steamed broccoli, and stir.
6. Leave it (uncovered) to thicken for 5 to 10 minutes, then stir again, and serve.
Makes 5 or more servings, depending on the portion size.

Comments

I have to try this! I’m always looking for healthier ways to make my old favorites. Your page is a great place for such recipes!
    I’ve cut out dairy, because the stuff just ain’t meant for humans! I’m working on cutting out grains, I’m pretty sure it’s the cause of my son’s eczema flare up. But he loves noodles and “cheese” so this will be great for him!

I’m with you, I love fettucine but not the cream. I too make my alfredo w cashews but add Nutritional Yeast for a nutty cheese flavor. Have you heard of it?

How often do you use the Herbamare – what types of recipes could I use it in. I want to purchase it but not if it goes bad before I use it.

Looks yummy! I love cashews to make non-dairy cheese type sauces but my daughter is very allergic. Can you recommend a different type nut for this dish?

THank you so much. My daughter (5 years old) and I are both gluten and dairy free…not fun for a kid…but she absolutely LOVED this! And I did too! Thanks so much for sharing!

HISTORY OF ALFREDO DI LELIO CREATOR IN 1908 OF “FETTUCCINE ALL’ALFREDO”, NOW SERVED BY HIS NEPHEW INES DI LELIO, AT THE RESTAURANT “IL VERO ALFREDO” – “ALFREDO DI ROMA” IN ROME, PIAZZA AUGUSTO IMPERATORE 30

With reference of your article I have the pleasure to tell you the history of my grandfather Alfredo Di Lelio, who is the creator of “fettuccine all’Alfredo” in 1908 in restaurant run by his mother Angelina in Rome, Piazza Rosa (Piazza disappeared in 1910 following the construction of the Galleria Colonna / Sordi).
    Alfredo di Lelio opened the restaurant “Alfredo” in 1914 in Rome, after leaving the restaurant of his mother Angelina.
    In 1943, during the war, Di Lelio sold the restaurant to others outside his family.
    In 1950 Alfredo Di Lelio decided to reopen with his son Armando his restaurant in Piazza Augusto Imperatore n.30 “Il Vero Alfredo” (“Alfredo di Roma”), whose fame in the world has been strengthened by his nephew Alfredo and that now managed by his nephew Ines, with the famous “gold cutlery” (fork and spoon gold) donated in 1927 by two well-known American actors Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks (in gratitude for the hospitality).
    See also the site of “Il Vero Alfredo” .
    I must clarify that other restaurants “Alfredo” in Rome do not belong to the family tradition of “Il Vero Alfredo – Alfredo di Roma” in Rome.
    I inform you that the restaurant “Il Vero Alfredo –Alfredo di Roma” is in the registry of “Historic Shops of Excellence” of the City of Rome Capitale.
    Best regards Ines Di Lelio

7. Danielle says

Oh my goodness…this is the first recipe of yours that I have made and I’m HOOKED! My almost 2 year old gobbled it up and this very pregnant mama is beyond excited to have a delicious dairy free version of one of my favorite dishes from my milk eating days! Has anyone tried freezing the sauce? I’d love to have a supply available for a quick dinner when I have a newborn.

8. jane says

my son is allergic to peanuts and nuts. We eat GF and do our best at staying dairy free. What can we substitute for cashews?

9. Char says

You can try almonds as a sub but if he’s allergic to all nuts go for the dairy. You have to pick your battles