Blueberry-Lemon Bars

Good morning! Today I have a treat for you. I asked one of my good friends, Brittany, to share a recipe with you :-) You may remember that I was planning on sharing a pie recipe a while back. I can’t believe this, but I LOST the recipe! Aghhh! I have tried to recreate the pie, without success. I’ll figure it out (or find the recipe) eventually, but in the mean time I’m too busy working on the second edition of Dairy-Free Ice Cream. Yesterday, when we got this recipe (below), Andy and Zoe made it using coconut sugar. It came out so yummy! Thanks Brittany! Enjoy! ♥, Kelly

Kelly is in my top 5 list of favorite people in the world. Her recipes are always crazy delicious! And I’m telling you right now that if you don’t own her latest Paleo Chocolate Lovers book. You.ARE.Missing.OUT! Needless to say, it is such an honor to be guest posting here today!

Years ago, I saw Kelly’s first book at Barnes and Noble and thought to myself ” Wow this lady has some talent!” She inspired me in big ways, before I even went gluten free and learned I had an autoimmune disease. Today, I feel beyond lucky to call Kelly my friend.
Seeing that Kelly is the queen of all things coconut, I thought it would be sensible to share one of my favorite coconut flour recipes from my new Easy Breakfast Recipe E-book! I was on a mission to figure out how to bake some delicious egg free breakfast treats. If any of you have tried doing egg free, coconut flour baking you know just how tricky and borderline impossible it can be. Needless to say I was beyond excited when I cracked the code to these delicous blueberry lemon bars. I had so much fun creating these bars that I threw myself into developing 40+ more unique recipes like them that are all Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo (Many also egg and nut free too!) You can check out the full e-book recipe list here.
Additionally, when you get the the e-book you’ll also become a VIP Club Angell member which includes all kinds of fun perks. Coupons from 25+ gluten free and paleo companies, weekly bonus recipes such as Grain Free Bagels, Jelly Donuts, Calzones, Loft House Sugar Cookies and much more! Plus you’ll gain as access to forums to get your baking questions answered. Read more here.

Blueberry-Lemon Bars

3/4 Cup Coconut flour 1/2 Cup Tapioca starch 1/2 Cup Shortening + 1 TBSP (I used spectrum shortening!) 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (Organic Cane, Xylitol or Truvia Baking Blend or other granulated sugar or choice) 2 TBSP Lemon juice 1 TBSP Baking Powder 1/4 tsp Salt 3/4 Cup Applesauce 1 Cup Blueberries
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a square baking pan with parchment paper. (7 1/2 x 7 1/2 OR 8 x 8)
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, tapioca, shortening, sugar, salt, baking powder, lemon juice, and applesauce. Mix until it forms a thick dough.
  3. Fold in the blueberries.
  4. Place dough into the baking pan and press dough evenly into the pan.
  5. Bake for 43-45 minutes

Brittany Angell runs the popular blog BrittanyAngell.com formerly RealSustenance.com. A site with over 800 highly adaptable recipes created to make you fall madly in love with GOOD food. Wether you follow the Paleo Diet, eat Grain Free, Gluten Free, avoid Dairy, Soy or Sugar, there’s something for you!

Connect with Brittany Angell on:

Facebook/ Instagram/ Twitter/ Blog/ Pinterest

Comments

Ohmygoodness. This looks amazing. I *almost* have all ingredients on hand. You’ve given me inspiration for experimentation. Going to try subbing huckleberries and butternut squash puree. I hope they play well with the recipe! And thank you!

• Carol Blanks says

These sound amazing I plan to make them now. I hope I’m not going to mess the recipe up because I have some fresh figs that I plan to substitute for the blueberry’s. I was just wondering how I could use the figs I have and I think it might just work. I will let you know.

These look so delicious. Can’t wait to try them. Do you think I could modify them and use something else in place of the shortening? Or maple syrup/honey instead of truvia or the like.? Thanks.

• Kate Koger says

Yes you can use arrowroot instead of tapioca starch. I wonder if the maple syrup will give it a different flavour which many not work with the lemon & blueberries.

Yum! These look so fabulous. I’m a lover of all things coconut too but I don’t eat eggs so my trials with coconut flour haven’t been all too successful so far. It certainly looks like you’ve cracked the code though!

I just made these! FANTASTIC! I used butter instead of palm shortening and I also added the zest of the lemon. Yum yum – my boys are getting these in their lunches tomorrow!

Hmm it looked amazing, but I tried it and it turned into a dark crumbly mess… :-( no idea what I did wrong. i read that you could use coconut sap sugar and arrowroot instead to make it paleo. Such a shame!

Helpful if we had more information on baking time
    Soft, toothpick, etc.
    Not sure, mine is much darker but toothpick is not clean looks smells excellent,just not sure about tips for telling if done
    Thanks so much
    Enjoy your blog

I just made these, and they are so good! I misread the recipe and only baked them for 35 minutes, though. So they cooled, and I cut into them and had to put them back in the oven. Whoops! Still turned out yummy. And I used arrowroot flour with success. Thanks for the great recipe! :)

I made these yesterday afternoon and they turned out really good. I used 1/3 cup of maple syrup in place of the sugar and did 1 cup of apple sauce because the batter seemed dry, probably a reflection of my poor coconut flour measuring technique : ) I also added the lemon zest because hey, why not? My blueberries were wild frozen and so it looks like I had more blueberries in mine, which was not a problem. I baked for 50 minutes because I forgot about them. oops! They were a little brown on top but definitely not burnt and still moist on the inside. I did poke them with a knife that came out clean. These were very tasty and filling, which is the only thing keeping me from eating half the pan. I ate one straight from the fridge this morning, they refrigerated well but were not good cold! Reheated in the oven beautifully. Thanks for another great one.

9. Lili says

I just made this, and they are fantastic! I subbed butter and coconut sugar in the recipe and missread the timing (35 min.) and they still turned out fantastic. A bit more gooey! They were not as white or as airy as photo shows them, but browner and denser. I could eat the whole pan in one sitting!

These are delicious. I added lemon zest to the batter AND a streusel topping with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg (and more lemon zest)… Amazing!!! I had to swipe 2 pieces from the pan that I’m bringing to a luncheon today. (It’s important to sample to make sure they’re good… Right?)

Wow – these were just amazing! I used coconut oil (solid) for the shortening and they turned out beautifully. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!

13. Carol Blanks says

I have died and gone to heaven. The figs I used in place of the blueberry’s turned out great. I’m going to have to be careful this is something I could get hooked on. I will try blueberry’s next.

14. Margaret says

Made these yesterday morning and subbed concentrated orange juicej for the lemon, as that is what I had. Outstanding! My husband said it was the best grain free baked good he has had. In a moment of inspiration, I modified the recipe ever so slightly to make a base for strawberry shortcake, and it too was a hit! I had a mix of company for the holiday, but wanted to keep it easy – this was perfect! I left out the blueberries, subbed in acv and plain yogurt for the lemon, x1.5, and baked in a 9×13 for about 35-40 min. This made even my holdout son agree grain free could be delicious! Thank you !!

15. margaret says

I have made hese sooo many times and i absolutey love them they are super super good and healthy too, the first time i made tem with a friend we and her brother ate almost the whole batch and didnt want to share, this is one of my favorite gluten free recipies yet!!!!!

16. Joy says

Just made these today and they were a hit! I did add the lemon zest and I used cold coconut oil as the shortening and xylotal as the sweetener. This will be a repeat!!! Thank you so much for sharing.