I decided to make my own cheesy kale chips to see if I could get more for my money, and I think I probably made twice as much for the same price as storebought. I broke my dehydrator before we moved or I would have used it. I’m sure this would work with a dehydrator if you have one (we were happy with that Nesco, so I recently bought the same one again). Otherwise you can bake them.
And did I mention the way they taste??? Wow! Just like a cheesy chip!!! Next I’m thinking of adding curry spices or maybe fresh rosemary, leftover from Christmas.
Super Cheesy Kale Chips
dairy-free, paleo, gluten-free
1 bunch kale, stems removed, COMPLETELY dry
1 cup cashew pieces
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
3 tablespoons water
a few cranks of pepper
- Set the oven to 300 degrees (or put the tray liners on the dehydrator trays if using a dehydrator).
- Line two cookie sheets with unbleached parchment paper and lay the kale on top, close together (or lay the kale on the lined dehydrator tays).
- In the food processor puree the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a silicone basting brush coat the kale in the thick cashew butter.
- Bake the kale for 15 minutes then rotate the trays and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and leave the kale chips in the oven for another 10 minutes or more, keeping a close eye on it, so that it doesn’t burn. Burnt kale doesn’t taste good
- I’m not sure how long they will take to dry in the dehydrator, probably 24 hours. Let me know how long it takes if you make yours in the dehydrator!
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for my FREE Paleo Pasta eBook, more recipes, and subscriber giveaways!