I am bonkers for orange and ginger marmalade, but it was Andy who had the idea to use it in my thumbprint Christmas cookies. Excellent idea. Also, I wanted to try this recipe with an egg for those of you who prefer that, and I used coconut sugar to see if it would work. I had to add a tablespoon of water to get the dough to stick with the coconut sugar (rather than honey), and then it was good to go. If you prefer an egg-free version, click here to see my original thumbprint cookie recipe. xoxo
Orange & Ginger Marmalade Thumbprint Cookies
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1/3 cup almond meal flour
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup ghee or coconut oil, liquified
3 tablespoons coconut sugar + 1 tablespoon water OR 3 tablespoons honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg, brought to room temp in a bowl of hot water (cold eggs will harden the ghee or coconut oil)
Ginger & Orange Marmalade with no added sugar
1) Set the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Add the coconut sugar (if using), salt, arrowroot, almond flour, and coconut flour to a bowl and combine.
3) Add the oil, honey (if using), vanilla, and egg to a separate bowl and combine.
4) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine with an electric mixer.
5) Roll into little balls and place on unbleached parchment paper.
6) Use you fingers to create an indentation and fill it with ginger and orange marmalade with no added sugar.
7) Bake for about 15 minutes.
Makes 15 to 20 cookies, depending on their size.