Cinnamon Gluten Free Donuts

Cinnamon-gluten-free-Donuts

Last week or so Andy was missing cider doughnuts. I never had them, but he did. When I ask him where he had them he says, “the northeast.” This frustrates me because I think of myself as being from the northeast, even though technically I’m not. I’m from Maryland, which is just south of Mason-Dixon line. Still I think Annapolis feels like the northeast, like some suburbs of Philadelphia (Andy and I met in college in Philadelphia), and Newport, Rhode Island, for example. But he is, or was, more of a northeasterner than I am. I never heard of cider doughnuts or pirogies (until college). I go to the “grocery store,” not “the market” (unless it’s the farmers market). I wear tennis shoes (pronounced, “tenni-shoes”) not “sneakers.” I use maple “surup”, not syrup. And so on, and so on.

AppleCiderDonuts

Above photo: Lakeside Farm donut truck sign, Ballston Lake, NY. Andy took this photo when we were in New York for his sister’s wedding in October 2012.

So I made cinnamon gluten free donuts. They’re donut hole size… at least I think they are. I haven’t actually even seen a doughnut hole in practically 10 years now. Anyway, you get the idea. I hope you like them.

Cinnamon Gluten Free Donuts

gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 & 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup palm shortening (I buy in bulk from Tropical Traditions. A small tub is on iHerb)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
2 eggs

Topping:
about 1/3 cup coconut sugar
water to wet the donut tops slightly

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) Whisk together the dry ingredients, and in a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients with an electric mixer.
3) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients then blend with an electric mixer.
4) Use a 3/4 oz (size 40) scoop with a lever or your hands to make the balls, and put them on a cookie sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper.
5) Bake for about 15 minutes.
6) Add some water to a small bowl, and some coconut sugar to another small bowl.
7) When the donuts are cool enough to touch, dip them into the water and then press them firmly into the sugar. (The water is just to help the sugar stick).
8) When all of the bites have coconut sugar tops turn the oven to broil, and put them under the broiler for about a minute to slightly melt the sugar. Keep a close eye on them the whole time.
9) Enjoy warm.

Makes 20.

Comments

I was born in Maryland and grew up in Delaware. My mother is from Boston and my hubby is from Maine, so even though I am a Central Atlantic state-er, I have a lot of nor’easter in my life, too. Love your cinnamon bites!

These looks super yummy! I live in Ohio, and everyone goes nuts for apple cider doughnuts in the fall, but I have never had one, and have yet to try creating a Paleo-version. Eh– I guess you can’t miss something that you’ve never had, right?

Technically, you were from the mid-atlantic, not the northeast. But even down Virginia way, we don’t do cider doughnuts either.

The apple cider donuts taunted me every time I went to BJs this fall. Ask your husband if he ever went to Highland Orchards outside of West Chester. They are drool worthy.

I haven’t been on your site in awhile and it seems some of the labels have changed? Also- your search option does not seem to be working. I used to make your brownies all the time, so I am looking for the brownie post. When I search- nothing happens??? And I don’t know the month they were in- didn’t you used to have a desserts category? I am a bit lost and sad because I find it harder to find your recipes. Can you help?
    Thanks

6. Lisa says

I’m from the South and I never heard of cider donuts until I moved to the Midwest. People wax very nostalgic about cider donuts!

I love your website, by the way. Have been reading for a couple years.

Hi Kelly, I recently bought your books and I really enjoy them. Thank you. I’d like to ask you how I can replace coconut flour because where I live I cannot find it anywhere unfortunately. Could you help me please?

8. Meera says

wow, these are kind of amazing. I was a little worried when I first looked at mine (pre-topping). They looked dry and mine had a couple of cracks in ‘em (not as pretty as yours!) But one bite and they were so moist and delicious I was kind of swooning. what a fabulous recipe. thank you so much!