Pumpkin Paleo Chili

While we were on our book tour / road trip for nearly a month I daydreamed about what we would do when we got home. I imagined how I could simplify our life and make more time for the kids. One of my thoughts was to do more menu planning. It’s so nice knowing what will be for dinner every night, breakfast every morning, and even lunch too. And having a plan prevents those days where I spend all day cooking meals. I create my one week menu around the idea of making no more than one meal a day, and I double it so that there’s leftovers.
Today for instance, we’re having these pumpkin chili leftovers for dinner and I’m baking biscuits from my new cookbook (a double batch). We had hot dogs and broccoli for lunch. Tomorrow we’re having the biscuits, then hot dogs and broccoli again, and I’m making my chicken pot pie (doubled) and salad for dinner. The pot pie will become the leftovers, and on and on it goes like that.
So I wanted to share the pumpkin Paleo chili with you because it came out so yummy. I based it on my chili in Paleo Chocolate Lovers. I hope you love it too!

Pumpkin Paleo Chili

2 tablespoons honey
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:
1) In a large pot saute the onions and garlic in coconut oil for about five minutes.
2) Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spatula as it cooks for about five minutes.
3) Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and bring to a simmer.
4) Simmer without a lid for about 15 minutes.
5) Add more chicken broth to thin slightly if desired.
6) Serve with a nice big salad.

Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for my free Paleo Pasta eBook, more recipes, and subscriber giveaways!

Comments

This looks delicious! I’m on the 21DSD right now, but if I don’t add the honey, I can totally have it! And I’m definitely in the mood for all things pumpkin at the moment, so thank you for the inspiration!

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl

Yummy, I love all the onions in this recipe, (just not cutting them up), going to make it for sure, thanks so much!

3. Tea says

This post could not have come at a better time!! I have some leftover pureed pumpkin in my fridge and now I have a place to use it! Thank you for your brilliant recipes!!

4. Sara Stonehouse says

Just made this tonight! Everyone loved it!!! Used ground chicken instead. So so yummy and easy. The kids and in laws thought it was brilliant!

5. Taj says

This is such a flavorful chili! Simply great comfort food! Quick, easy, hearty. I have made this several times using 1 lb of ground turkey. We are 100% paleo and love this site for coconut flour recipes… and we love Elana’s too!!! I am so glad you two are friends, your site compliment each other! Thanks a bunch!

Love the sound of this!! I’m currently renting an apt in Malaysia for a month and pumpkin is sooo cheap here – I’m talk $1 for a medium-large pumpkin so I’ve been looking up tons of pumpkin recipes as it’s not something I usually cook with. I’m definitely making this for dinner soon (just using ground pork instead of the ground turkey as that’s what I have on hand)! Also if I can ask you for a quick favor — if it’s allowed if you could add me to the http://www.pinterest.com/amys_ssgf/gluten-free-pumpkin-recipes/ board (my account is http://www.pinterest.com/acoupletraveler/ ) I would really appreciate it : ) If not, no big deal.

7. Tamara says

When you say “chili spice” do you mean a blend of spices specifically for making chili as opposed to the spice ground chili? If it is a blend. Can you ease list the ingredients of the blend.