Paleo White Chocolate Pie

In a month our lease will be up, and we decided to change things up a bit, and go to California for a while. We have friends and family in both northern and southern Cal, so it will be great catching up with them. One in particular is a very close friend from college (where Andy and I met). He was a professor of ours who became a mentor, and our closest personal friend. After we graduated Dr. Murphy was there with us at our wedding. He was the first person I called after each of our babies was born. Through thick and thin he has been our greatest supporter, guidance counselor and trusted friend. I love him so much.

We are also really looking forward to admiring the new landscape, and all the new (to us) parks, museums, beaches, farmers markets, and more. We will be staying in wine country, but also traveling up the coast when our new book comes out in October. But I’ll tell you more about that later. I can’t wait to meet you!!!

So yesterday I was looking in my cabinet, which we fondly referred to as “the chocolate cabinet” during the making of Paleo Chocolate Lovers. I was thinking that we only have 4 weeks left before we drive to California, and so I should use up my ingredients. The first one that caught my eye was cacao butter. And in an instant I knew what I wanted to make. White chocolate pie. Sigh.

Of course when this pie came out all heavenly-like I kind of wished I had done it sooner so I could have included it in the book. But oh well. That’s what always happens. And this way you get to enjoy the recipe right away.

White Chocolate Pie

dairy-free, Paleo, gluten-free

Paleo Pie Crust Ingredients

2 cup (224 g) almond flour
8 soft pitted Medjool dates
pinch of sea salt

Paleo Pie Ingredients

9 oz cacao butter
1 (13 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grass-fed gelatin (I think agar powder would also work, but I haven’t tested it yet.)

Directions

1) Add the crust ingredients to the food processor fitted with the S blade, and puree until it begins to clump together.
2) Firmly press the crust into a 7″ springform pan, and set it aside.
Note: A larger springform pan or a pie dish would also work. Individual mason jars would also be sweet.
3) Bring the coconut milk to a simmer in a saucepan and slowly whisk in the gelatin, until it is completely dissolved. (This may take several minutes.)
4) Add the honey and vanilla to the coconut milk mixture, then transfer the liquids to the food processor or blender with a vent.
Note: The vent is crucial so that the heat can escape while pureeing.
5) Place the cacao butter in a bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. The water level should be a few inches below the bottom of the bowl. As soon as the butter is melted remove it from the heat, and add it to the other liquids.
6) Puree until smooth, then pour over the crust.
7) Refrigerate until set (at least a few hours).
8) To serve the pie heat a chefs knife in hot water, then run the knife between the pie and the wall of the pan. Remove the wall and reheat the knife to slice. Best eaten room temperature.

Note: The pie photographed whiter than it is in real life.

Update: I think you could get the pie whiter if you substituted 1/4 cup coconut milk, the contents of 1 soft vanilla bean, and 1/8 tsp liquid stevia in place of the honey and vanilla extract.

Comments

1. Teresa says

I wonder how your pie can be so beautifully white when it has honey and vanilla in it. Every time I use those items in things that should be white, I end up with a dingy off-white color. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Saskia says

Kelly, am I selfish for being excited that you’re coming out my way? I live in the Napa Valley and think meeting you would be a hoot!
    Wishing you safe travels from Colorado!

Looks divine!! By the way, how did you become a recipe developer? Very curious about that. Maybe you could do a post about that.

Hi,
    How much Agar Agar would you suggest to use? I’m not really sure how I actually use it.

Pie looks amazing!

Thanks Winnie!

Thanks Saskia! It will be fun!

Anonymous, I did a post on that HERE :-)

Anonymous, If you want to test it with agar powder I would try the same amount (1 tablespoon), and let us know how it turns out!

This pie looks yum! And I love “switching things up a bit”. How long will you all be in CA.?
    Our oldest son, soon to be 12, has high functioning autism, but he LOVES travel (which usually they dig routine). He is a people person though. Hope you guys have a blast! Safe travels!
    Hope in Spokane

7. Cherie says

Looks great! Good luck with your move. I hope everything goes well for you and your family! Very exciting for sure!

Hi Kelly, just made this, but sub’d MACADAMIA NUTS for the almonds in the crust…oh my! It’s divine. Thanks for posting this. Good luck transplanting yourself to Calif!

9. Tamara says

The pie looks amazing! We are honored to have you out here in So Cal. We are just west of Temecula in Oceanside. North county SD is beautiful and really fun for kiddos. I bet the girls will love it!

I’m wondering if we could just add the coco butter to the warmed coconut milk mixture and melt it that way? What do you think?

read your post about how you started your blog…did you take cooking classes to learn how to invent recipes or does it come naturally?

Oh my! Why didn’t I know I could buy cocoa butter on Amazon?? I’ve just added some to my next order and I can’t wait to try this pie! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys!

Jeanne, OMGoodneess that is an AWESOME idea!!!!! SO happy you loved it :-)

Anonymous, I don’t think that would work, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous, I didn’t take classes. I got really into Cooking with Coconut Flour (by Bruce Fife) and raw food uncook books. Then I started experimenting from there :-)

Wow, Kelly. WOW! This pie was so good I ate the entire thing in just a couple days. My youngest son did help but he only ate 2 pieces. :) I used lite coconut milk, which is all I had on hand and increased the gelatin to 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp to compensate for the lack of coconut cream. I also subbed maple syrup due to my son’s intolerance to honey. This pie is so decadent and beautiful I plan to make it for a large party I’m hosting next week. We’re serving finger foods so I plan to try these out in mini cupcake wrappers. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Please, please , please tell me i could use a substitute for cocoa butter? I have been planning on making this tomorrow for Valentines Day (my prince charming wants this pie!). Unfortunately I got shocked today at Whole Foods = 9oz of cocoa butter would cost 50$, no time left to order online. Any ideas for an alternative ingredient? I got everything else ready.
    Also hoping that you would feel the sense of urgency. :/
    Thanks in advance!

DD, I’m afraid there is no substitute. Cacao butter is pricey, but $50 for 9oz is totally over priced. 1 pound shouldn’t be more than $16 to $25.

Is there a way to vent without having a blender with ventilation ability? I read about holding a cloth over the top of the blender, would that work? I really want to try this recipe, I’m planning on getting a ninja but I don’t think it has any ventilation. thanks!

18. Kristin says

Was it supposed to be 9oz of cacoa butter once melted? Sorry I’m not much of a baker. I just made it with 9 oz melted cacoa butter, I now have a feeling you meant melt 9oz of cacoa and use that amount, which is about half the melted amount. We’ll see what happens?! Either way, Thanks for the recipe!

19. Ley says

I’m planning on doing this recipe but not everyone in my household like coconut. Can i sub with raw milk?

Also any other sweetener I can use besides dates for the crust?