Last night (after talking to a BFF for like 2 hours, and then watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Andy) I was cruising around Pinterest when I saw these. And that’s when it clicked in my brain. The rhubarb. Never mind the fact that it was past 11 PM, I had to come downstairs and make strawberry rhubarb gummies. HAD to.
So I chopped the fresh rhubarb and simmered it with some frozen strawberries until it was soft. Then I added the dissolved gelatin mixture, and gave it a whirl in the Blendtec. I poured the puree into a rectangular dish, and put it in the fridge. No, back up, first I had to move around a bunch of stuff in the fridge, because there was no where to put the big rectangular dish. Then after some food Tetris I stored it away, and finally went to bed. Late.
This morning I cut it with cookie cutters, snapped this photo, and presented the strawberry rhubarb gummies to my kids. (Fortunately, they weren’t hungrily hovering over me as I took the pic, which sometimes happens. Sorry ’bout that little ladies!)
They all LOVED them. Which is good, because guess what’s coming again in the produce box this week…
Strawberry Rhubarb Gummies
1) Add the strawberries and rhubarb to a medium sized pot and simmer until the rhubarb is tender (about 15 minutes).
2) Add the water, lemon juice, and honey to a small bot and bring to a simmer.
3) Gradually whisk the gelatin into the water, lemon juice and honey. Continue to simmer and whisk until the gelatin is dissolved.
4) Add the strawberries and rhubarb to a blender with a vent. Pour the dissolved gelatin mixture in as well. (OR use a stick blender to puree all the liquids.)
5) Add a pinch of sea salt and stevia to taste. (I used about 10 drops of stevia.)
6) Pour the puree into a large rectangular baking dish and refrigerate to set.
7) Use cookie cutters or slice into squares.
Makes 11 gummy hearts plus scraps.