Do you have a CSA box or your own garden? If so, you may be overwhelmed with greens right about now.
Chard, kale, collard greens.
We get a local box from Door to Door Organics, and I can barely keep up with all the greens. Yesterday I decided to use up a ton of kale and collard greens, and do a spin on one of my all-time favorite recipes, Creamed Kale, by my friend, Ali.
I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ll ever convince my husband to like greens. The only way he doesn’t mind them is in my green smoothies. But that just means more cooked greens for me and the kids 😉
If you like cooked greens and bacon, then this is the recipe for you.
Bacon & Macadamia Creamed Greens
2 bunches of collard greens, washed, stems removed
2 bunches of kale, washed, stems removed
8 oz (226 grams) bacon
1 & 1/2 cups water
1 cup macadamia nuts + a handful to garnish
1 tsp Herbamare
1. Cook the bacon in a 12 inch skillet over low heat until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the bacon grease in the pan.
2. Rince and chop the collard greens and kale. Add them to the bacon grease over low heat.
3. Cook the greens for about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add the water, macadamia nuts and Herbamare to the blender. Puree until completely smooth.
5. Add the puree to the greens and continue cooking (uncovered) over low heat for about 15 minutes.
6. Transfer the creamed greens to a platter or individual plates.
7. Crumble the bacon over the greens and garnish with crushed macadamia nuts.
Tip: It’s really easy to crush macadamia nuts with the side of a chefs knife. Lay the knife on top of the nuts as you would to remove the skin from a clove of garlic. Crush the nuts the same way you would the garlic.
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more news and subscriber giveaways!