Shredded Coconut Blueberry Paleo Muffins

paleomuffins
Whenever we visit Andy’s parents in the Adirondack Mountains Zoe loves to walk around the woods picking tart wild blueberries. She loves them so much that she will not eat store bought blueberries. Zoe is a blueberry snob. haha!
These Paleo muffins have amazing texture, which is surprising since they don’t contain any starch. I used flax meal in place of the arrowroot and the results are equally good. These muffins are cake-like, but with some grittiness from the shredded coconut. So delish. And there’s only 1/4 cup of honey in all 12 muffins, thanks to my good friend Mr. Stevia :-) I would keep on and on about my love for these muffins, but it’s time for breakfast here, so I’m off now to eat one now.

Shredded Coconut Blueberry Paleo Muffins

grain-free, Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free
Wet Ingredients:
5 eggs, brought to room temp in a bowl of hot tap water
3/4 cup applesauce with no added sugar
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey

1/4 tsp liquid vanilla stevia

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)

Fold in:
1 and 1/2 cups blueberries

Directions:
1. Set the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
5. Immediately fold in the blueberries (the batter will thicken as it sits, so fold the blueberries in right away).
6. Use an ice cream sized scoop with a lever (a 1/3 cup scoop) to fill 12 unbleached muffin cups.
Note: If you don’t use a scoop the tops just won’t be quite so round.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Comments

Oh goodness! These look amazing. I think I will try them, subbing almond flour or something else for the flax meal (I’m not a fan of baking the fragile Omega 3s).

Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE your suggestion to warm eggs by placing them in a bowl with warm water! I always have this issue!!!!!! Thanks Kelly! :)

I made these today – so good! Thanks for the recipe. I used half the amount of honey (I ran out!) and they were still delicious!

The flavor and texture of the muffins were great. However it seems like all the oil sunk to the bottom and the bottom is really soggy. This happened when I baked muffins last week too (from a different blog). Is there something I’m doing wrong?

These sound brilliant for my kids – any ideas about a substitution for the stevia? Have never used it but thinking maybe 1tsp vanilla extract and upping the honey by 1-2Tbsp? Thanks so much for the effort and love you put into your blog.yagemer

5. Susan says

Made these for the first (of many) times two days ago. A week too early for fresh blueberries in this part of the country. Subbed black raspberries, sour cherries, and service berries (wild native blueberry like), all which were picked fresh on our property that day. Myyyyy these are tasty. Will be making them again and again, and again. Blueberry season starts Monday! Thank you.

Thank you, so moist, love the recipe. We bake and freeze them. This recipe will be repeated many times in our home.
    Thanks

Soooo delicious! My husband asked me if they were really starch free because they tasted so good! With autoimmune disease in our house we are always so happy to eat things that dont taste like cardboard. Thank you!

You mentioned that you subbed flax for arrowroot powder. Was that an equal substitution 1/4 c. for 1/4 c.?

9. Amanda says

These are incredible! The first time I made them I followed the recipe exactly as written, except I omitted the stevia (doesn’t treat my belly very nicely!).

The second time I made these I modified to cater to a client of mine! He is sensitive to apples, so I removed the applesauce and stevia (for my sake), added an extra egg, and doubled the coconut oil. I also added a tbsp of lemon juice and the zest of 1 lemon – because I read that applesauce adds a bit of acid to baking. They turned out just as amazing!

Thanks for a great recipe :)