Pizza Flavored Dairy Free Quiche

DairyFreeQuiche
I didn’t set out to make a pizza flavored dairy-free quiche. I was just scrambling for ingredients, and an Italian theme emerged accidentally. In the pantry I grabbed black olives and sundried tomatoes. From the fridge I grabbed spinach and an onion. Oregano and garlic seemed to go with everything else, so I grabbed those too.
It wasn’t until the quiche was baking that Ashley said, “I smell pizza!” And she was right. It did smell like pizza. So I say run with it—fill yours with your favorite pizza toppings.

Dairy Free Quiche, Pizza Flavor!

gluten-free, Paleo, dairy-free

Makes two quiche.

Ingredients:
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes (for the crust)
8 eggs
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 onion, diced
2 handfuls spinach (I used frozen spinach, but I think fresh would also work)
heaping 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
black olives
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus a pinch for the sweet potatoes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
Note: OR substitute the onions, spinach and olives with your favorite pizza toppings.

Directions:
1) Set the oven to 375 degrees.
2) Peel the sweet potatoes and slice thin.
3) Grease 2 dishes and arrange the sliced sweet potatoes across the bottom, overlapping slightly, for your crust. (see a photo of this here)
4) Season the sweet potato crust with sea salt and pepper. Set aside.
5) Saute the diced onion then divide it evenly between the two.
6) Add a handful of black olives and a handful of spinach to each (I used frozen spinach that was thawed then squeezed through a kitchen towel to remove as much water as possible).
7) In the blender puree the coconut milk and the sundried tomatoes.
8) Add the eggs, salt, garlic and oregano and puree again.
Note: the blended eggs will be nice and frothy.
9) Pour the egg mixture evenly over them and bake right away so it has as much air as possible.
10) Bake for 30 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
11) Let them cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: They will deflate as they cool, but they will still taste nice and light.

Comments

I am laughing … so I was on Pinterest and saw this and repined b/c it looked SOOOOO good. Then today I check in at my old fave The Spunky Coconut and it’s YOUR recipe and YOUR photo :) Now I REALLY must try. xoLexie

2. Joette says

Should I rehydrate my sundried tomatoes before I use them in the recipe? They are not packed in oil but dry.

3. Kristin S. says

I made this tonight, although I did it as one large quiche and added wild mushroom and used fresh spinach. It’s very tasty. I would like to experiment with another non-dairy milk as I tink the subtle coconut flavor isn’t totally ideal. Overal I really am enjoying this…so fluffy too! Great new recipe in the repertoire. Thank you.

I just looked at the archives of your blogs in my gmail. I saw Ashleys progress and it brought tears to my eyes and the photos were great. For this pizza quiche, I think I will try. And, one thought is that if you cook and cool the sweet potatoes first, then slice for the crust, and put into a greased pan, you may get a crispier bottom.

I am so going to try this over the weekend…would never have thought to use the sliced sweet potatoes for a crust…love sweet potatoes…and pizza…yum!

I wish you could link your recipes to pinterest. I am pretty computer illiterate and I don’t know how else to save or organize yummy sounding recipes like this. I email them to myself, and then don’t know what to do with them to organize them. I hope you might consider this in the future. Thanks!

This turned out great! Thanks for the recipe! We ended up taking out the olives and added 3 cooked chicken breasts (cut in smallish pieces), 1 large red bell pepper (cooked it with onion), and 2 jalapenos (blended with coconut milk and tomatoes). Very good! Next time, I need to make sure to slice sweet potatoes thinner so they will cook through. They were still a little hard. Or maybe even steam them for a little bit before? I am so glad I stumbled across your blog yesterday! Thanks again!