Everybody has a go-to meal, don't you think? Something that (pretty much) everyone in the family will eat, that you can whip up in a matter of minutes. Something that tastes great. My go-to meal changes with time, and as we get tired of it. Right now it's chorizo and eggs with avocado.
Sometimes I add some spinach or finely chopped sweet potatoes (to cook with the pepper and chorizo), and sometimes we have it over a slice of bread, but usually we just have it all by itself. I think of it as an inside-out omelette—Same ingredients, but way less work. And although it may look like breakfast, I don't think we've ever had it in the morning :-)
Chorizo & Eggs with Avocado
gluten-free, Paleo, dairy-free
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 pound of chorizo sausage (I use Mulay's Natural from Natural Grocers)
7 eggs (or more as needed to serve your family)
1 to 2 ripe avocados
1) Set your oven to 375 degrees.
2) Saute the green pepper in a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over low to medium heat for about five minutes.
3) Crumble your chorizo in next (remove the casing if it came in casing)
4) Saute until the chorizo is cooked through, about five minutes
5) Crack your eggs over the top (don't worry if some yolks break—maybe one of your kids prefers them that way? —one of mine does)
6) Bake for about ten minutes, or until the eggs are done the way you like.
Note: Make sure everyone knows that the skillet was in the oven and NOT to touch it (yea, I've done that—ouch!)
7) Top with sliced avocado.