I am super busy working on the next cookbook every minute that I'm not busy being a mom. And that isn't very many minutes ;-) So meals have become a question of what can I make that's fast, satisfying, and most of all that everyone will actually eat. Hash is one of those things. Or is it Paleo fried rice? I don't know, but whatever you call it, it meets the criteria. I hope you and yours enjoy it too.
Carrot, Kielbasa, & Fried Egg Cauli-Hash
grain-free, Paleo, dairy-free
1 head of cauliflower
3 large whole carrots
1/2 of a Kielbasa
1/2 an onion
1 tbsp lard
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/8 to 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1) Put a third of the cauliflower in the food processor and puree until fine.
2) Transfer the pureed cauliflower to a bowl and repeat step 1 until all of the cauliflower is fine (and looks like rice).
3) Chop the carrots into one inch pieces and puree them in the food processor in three batches as well.
4) Finally chop the Kielbasa and onion into pieces and puree them in the food processor until fine.
5) Put a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over almost medium heat.
6) Add the lard and coconut oil.
7) Pour the veggies and meat into the skillet.
8) Add the salt and garlic powder.
9) Use a spatula to give it a stir.
10) Cook for about ten minutes, stirring a few times.
11) Push the meat and veggies out to the sides, making a well in middle of the skillet.
12) Add a little extra oil if needed then crack the eggs into the well.
13) Scramble the eggs until they are almost done, then mix them with the meat and veggies to combine everything.
P.S. Thanks so much to everyone who volunteered to test recipes for me! Sorry I haven't emailed any of you yet—I've been busting a move to meet my first deadline. I will email many of you ASAP!