Almond & Apricot Dairy Free Cheese Danish Cake
grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free optional (see UPDATE at the bottom of the recipe)
Set oven to 325 degrees.
Dairy free Cream cheese ingredients
Dry Gluten Free Cake Ingredients
Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
Wet Gluten Free Cake Ingredients
1. Add the wet cake ingredients to the blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
2. Scoop the wet cake ingredients (not the “cream cheese”!) onto the dry cake ingredients.
3. Mix with an electric mixer for about 10 seconds. Stop when it looks like a crumble for coffee cake, not like a solid mass of dough.
4. Add the cake crumble to a greased 11 x 8 inch baking dish (I believe it is a 2 qt dish) or an 8 x 8 inch dish. Spread evenly, but don’t mash it down.
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sliced almonds
9 oz apricot fruit spreadInstructions:
1. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sliced almonds over the cake in the dish.
2. Pour the “cream cheese” topping over the almonds.
3. Warm 9oz of apricot fruit spread just slightly.
4. Pour the apricot fruit spread in diagonal lines across the dairy free cheese.
5. Use a knife in a figure eight motion to swirl the apricot and dairy free cheese.
6. Sprinkle with another 2 tablespoons sliced almonds.
Bake for about 25 minutes.
When it comes out of the oven the sides will be puffy and you might think it’s not done in the middle, but after it cools completely (and you refrigerate it some) it will set up nicely. My husband loves it cold from the fridge, but I love it room temperature. The girls eat it no matter what
*UPDATE: To make this with eggs and without psyllium husk: Change the Dairy Free Cheese to 1 cup cashews, and 1/2 cup nut milk, and add 1 egg white. Keep the other “cream cheese” ingredients the same. To the batter add 1 whole egg to the wet ingredients.