Coconut Milk Bread

CoconutMilkBread
I have been working on this almond and coconut bread recipe for a year now. In case you’re wondering, I did try using arrowroot in place of the psyllium and it didn’t work as a loaf. At all. First of all I had to double the amount (twice as much arrowroot as psyllium), and it still didn’t fully cook. Second, the texture was completely different. The arrowroot version (the part of the loaf that cooked through) was much more crumbly. I think it could be nice as a mock-cornbread, and that it might cook through if you made it in an 8 x 8 inch dish, but I haven’t done that yet myself.
It was just so much better with the psyllium that I went back to using it. And we all adore this loaf of bread.
Part of the reason the loaf is this nice shape and size is because I use this glass bread pan. The bottom of the pan is narrower than most bread loaf pans, so you get a slightly taller loaf. Just make sure that your ingredients are room temperature so that the bread cooks evenly, and you’re good to go.

Coconut Milk Bread

gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo
Wet Ingredients:
1 & 1/4 cups coconut milk, room temperature
4 whisked eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups | 240g almond flour (I have used both Bob’s and Honeyville in this recipe)
1/2 cup | 70g coconut flour, sifted to remove any lumps
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1) Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across the bread loaf pan so that it goes down one of the long sides, across the bottom and back up the other long side.
NOTE: If you use a different bread loaf pan the cooking time may change.
2) Grease the two exposed glass ends of the dish. Set aside.
3) Add dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
4) Add wet ingredients to a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer.
5) Add whisked dry ingredients to wet mixed ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer.
6) Using a flexible silicone spatula, scoop half of the batter into the prepared pan, and press it down firmly.
7) Add the rest of the batter to the dish using the flexible silicone spatula, and press down firmly again. (The top should be smooth and level when you’re finished.)
8) Bake for about 70 minutes.
9) Let the bread rest in the pan until cool.

Comments

Hi Kelly – this looks awesome! I’ve been searching for a good GF bread recipe! Can you tell me what purpose the psyllium husk powder has in this recipe? I have all the ingredients except that. Can I sub chia, or simply leave it out? – Kelley

Kelley, Psyllium husk is 100% fiber. It gives the bread elasticity, kind of like gluten would. I don’t know if chia meal would work, but it’s an excellent question. I know my friend Iris has used ground flax in place of psyllium with good results, so there is a strong possibility that it chia meal would work. Please let me know how it turns out!

Michelle, I always use canned coconut milk. It’s like the difference between cream and skim milk.

Anonymous, I hope you enjoy it!

Kelly, I have psyllium husk from my bulk food store – I wouldn’t consider it a powder. Do you think it would work? Or maybe I could put in in my spice grinder?
    Thanks, Andrea

Kelly,

Looks like a great recipe! I love your inventiveness. This bread looks like it isn’t too eggy and coconutty, and I have tried many a coconut/almond flour bread recipes!
    I have everything to make this as well, I have psyllium left over from the last recipe I made of yours, the mini Boulder Cream doughnuts. Thanks again for sharing your creativity.

5. Melinda P says

Ooh, I am so excited about trying out this recipe! I just got psyllium husk powder for the first time recently, just for recipes like this. Gonna do some baking tomorrow!

-Melinda

Looks delicious! I love using psyllium husks :) I’ve successfully used ground chia as a 1:1 replacement for whole psyllium husks in my recipes but not powder… would definitely need more to replace the powder.
    Thanks for the recipe!

7. bob <> says

This bread looks great! I am looking forward to making it soon.

Also thank you thank you thank you for putting the dry ingredients in ounces too! I love working with weight rather than volume = )

8. Emily says

Hi Kelly,
    I made the bread today. Yum! How do you store your bread? Thanks for all your wonderful recipes! I am in love with the ooey gooey butter cake. It is the best cake I have had in a long, long time.

Hi Kelly,
    I just ordered the glass bread pan and the psyllium powder. Cannot wait to try your bread!! One question…when using the coconut milk, do I mix the thick cream in with the watery milk, to make it one consistency?
    Many thanks!!
    Amy K

Thanks guys!

Andrea, I think it might if you grind it with a Magic Bullet of coffee grinder.

SPD, I don’t think it will work without eggs.

Emily, So glad you like it! I keep it on the counter with a kitchen towel over the top.

Rochelle, We can’t taste coconut anymore, so I don’t know. The more you use it, the less you taste it.

Amy, Yes, shake the can or blend to mix it.

Just made this bread and it is excellent! I used my regular glass loaf pan and it turned out perfectly. LOVE this recipe!
    Andrea

Kelly,

This recipe sounds wonderful, but we are also casein free – any suggestions for an egg substitute?

Thanks!

Jen

Have you grilled or toasted the bread? I want to make grilled cheese with Urban Poser’s crock pot crab and pumpkin soup (tasted just like She Crab soup!!) I’m wondering if it will hold up to it. Thank you for all you do!!

Hi Kelly, I just made the coconut milk bread and wanted to let you know, it’s DELICIOUS. I made a couple of alterations: (1) I omitted the honey (I didn’t want to eat a sweet bread); (2) I used psyllium husks, not powder; and (3) I baked it in two mini-loaf pans, not one pan. The resultant bread is moist but not cakey. I’ve tried many grain-free bread recipes over the last couple of years, but this is my favourite as far as being like BREAD, not CAKE. Congratulations!

This is amazing. I am already happy that now your books are available in Europe (I bought them all and I am very glad I did), and now this perfect bread! Thank you Kelly.

This is the answer to my prayers with the exception of the almond flour, unfortunately I am allergic to nuts, is there another flour or could I use coconut flour entirely ?

Hi, Kelly!
    Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve just made this bread and it tastes GREAT!
    I don’t have a glass loaf pan, so I just used my old non-stick bread tin (with baking paper) and it was ready after 40-45 minutes.
    I hope this helps someone who does not have a glass one.

Do you think this would bake up just as well in a metal/aluminum bread loaf pan?

I really want to make this, but don’t have a glass/ceramic bread loaf pan!

Thanks <3
    -Sophie

19. Jen says

I just had my first bite of this yummy bread and I’m thrilled! I used a regular nonstick loaf pan and it was done in about 50 minutes. Thanks for the great recipe!

I made this bread successfully but substituting flax meal for the psyllium husk. It has the texture of a very firm and dense banana bread. When sliced it doesn’t crumble. It was great with almond butter and cherry jam! I did the math and this bread (when sliced into 12) had 7g of fat and 7g of protein per serving.

This looks fabulous! I love randomly finding new blogs that I like and then reading the “about me” and realizing the author practically a neighbor. Hi from Westminster!

Hi Kelly. I just saw you page for the first time today. Wow! Your site is very impressive. I love how you have set it up.
    Also, I am very impressed with all the work you and your husband have done on learning and sharing information on foods and cooking. This is a site I will be using continuously in the future.
    Thank you so much. Cathleen

I love this bread! I made it as written except I used un-blanched almond flour. It is the first gluten-free bread I have made that doesn’t fall apart in a sandwich. I love the coconut flavor.. I used lite coconut milk-I wasn’t sure if that would make a difference. Thanks so much for all the work you put into making this recipe!

Hi,

We’ve recently launched the site RecipesUS.com, where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and blogs. We noticed that you have a lot of delicious recipes on your blog and we would like to suggest you have a look at our site: http://www.recipesus.com/.

If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow these instructions: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog.

Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

Kind regards,
    Senka
    info@recipesus.com

Kelly,
    I was so excited to see your bread recipe! We made it and love it. I’m always looking for a yummy yeast free bread. Thanks for sharing it with us.

this is one of the BEST grain-free bread recipes i have tried. i made a couple of small changes: i used yacon instead of honey and mixed artisana coconut cream with water and almond milk to make a coconut milk. it turned out so delicious. it freezes and toasts beautifully.

thanks for this great recipe!

Ely,

Mine didn’t really rise either. The top became rounded, but overall it isn’t taller than before baking. I think it rises more if you add a little more coconut milk (another 2 to 4 tablespoons), but then you need to bake it longer of course.

Kelly, I made this today and it is my new favorite bread! The texture and taste is wonderful. My dh said, “THIS is grain free??!” Thank you for always sharing your recipes.

Hello Kelly, I baked the bread in my glass pan and it didn’t rise? I went over all your steps and exact ingredients. Help? Tastes amazing but really dense.
    London

30. Glynnis says

Thank you so much for this recipe, Kelly! The bread baked perfectly in my glass Pyrex bread dish. This is just what I’ve been looking for since going from gluten free to grain free. This bread is delicious right out of the fridge as well as toasted. Enjoying it with eggs for breakfast or as an afternoon snack with almond butter and cinnamon!

Thanks for the recipe but I didn’t understand how much of the flours to use. The recipe said 2 cups as well as 7.4 oz almond flour and
    1/2 cup as well as 2.5 oz. coconut flour. I used the first set of numbers and it was very dense so I’m thinking of trying the smaller quantity but would really like some direction to be absolutely clear.

32. Susan says

I recently started trying out recipes with psyllium powder because it’s such and AWESOME textural substitute for gluten. I’ve been making a bread/bun recipe from another blog just using almond flour. The cohesiveness is great (I can actually make sturdy, non-crumbly sandwiches out of it), but it never fails to turn my result a weird grayish-purple. Your bread looks SO WHITE! Have you had purplish results? I’m using the NOW brand of powder.

LMWorks,

I included the volume (the measurement in cups), but it is more accurate to use weight (the measurement in ounces). If you would like to try using the weight measurements I recommend picking up an inexpensive postal scale at places like Office Depot. They cost about $20. After you put your bowl on the scale you can zero it out and then add your flour to get the exact amount.

Alternatively, you could try adding 2 to 4 tablespoons more coconut milk. I find that it rises more this way, but takes longer to cook.

This the best grain-free, gluten-free bread EVER! I do replace one of the eggs with ground chia, but everything else I keep as is. I just found it too “eggy” for my taste the first time.

I love the texture, the taste, how it rises and so on.

I’ve been following you and making for recipes for years, and really appreciate what you do for your family and for us, your readers.

Thanks Much!
    Sonia

Great recipe! I’ve tried making several different paleo breads without great success. This one came out perfect. Thanks!

Commenting again. I just love this bread. So far I’ve baked it in a 4 loaf stoneware mini pan and as muffins! Both were fabulous. The muffin shapes were much easier for transporting and kept me from scarfing a whole loaf in one sitting. It’s fabulous with marmalade and this lovely ficoco spread I found at my local coop. Thanks again Kelly!

My second comment:) I make these into hamburger buns! I use english muffin rings and fill 3/4 full with batter. They are awesome cut in half and spread with butter and jam too!

Kelly, Thank you sooo much for this recipe! I have yet to find a gluten free bread that doesn’t either taste like eggs or fall apart on me.

It is just my daughter and I so I halved the recipe and I used chia seeds soaked in water for a little bit to replace an egg (I was worried it would be too eggy). I didn’t have any phylum husk powder but I did have some organic fiber powder, I used that instead and it turned out AMAZING! Held together great, even when toasted, and remained very moist also. Slightly denser than normal bread but that also means it filled up up more too! :D Thank you again, I look forward to trying some of your other recopies!

Hi Kelly,
    I have this in the oven now,only I did not use a glass loaf pan,it’s a heavy non stick one.Hope it still comes out ok?! My question is, how should I store this to keep it moist? Thanks in advance :) Christine

I must have tried about 10 grain-free bread recipes in the 3 months I’ve been on the Wheat Belly way of eating. This recipe is THE BEST I’ve tried. I made a double batch and it turned out really delicious, moist but not wet, springy but not rubbery ! So delighted. (I’ve tried another recipe which calls for psyllium husks which came out quite rubbery… and purple! So I made one change to your recipe; I added 1 tsp of turmeric to try to counteract any “purplishness” that might appear. The result was a lovely golden loaf with no sign of purple at all.) Thank you SO MUCH!!!

• zosia says

Psyllium husk needs to be GROUND to make psyllium husk POWDER.

Do you have a grinder for coffee beans? That works well.

Just made this. This is the best gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free bread I’ve ever tasted. Perfect texture and not too eggy, which is often the case with this category of bread. Thank you so much!

Anonymous above: cows around your way must be well different to those we have over here, as ours certainly don’t lay eggs! It isn’t advertised as a vegan recipe, so why such a strop?

Kelly, thanks for the lovely recipe, I made a loaf over the weekend and it turned out absolutely lovely! Even my bf liked it, and he’s usually rather dubious with my experiments… This one is definitely a keeper! I was slightly worried when the dough was liquid enough to be poured into the loaf pan instead of being scoopable, but it rose well and the texture is very good. Might well be because I used almonds I ground myself and homemade coconut flour, so go figure… Mine turned slightly purple though due the psyllium, but I suppose that’s just cosmetic.

Thanks!

I can understand why a vegan would want an egg substitute, but I don’t understand why the misconception persists that eggs are dairy. Eggs are an animal product, but since they are not the product of the mammary glad of a mammal, it is just not possible for them to be a dairy product. They may occupy the same space on the food pyramid we all stared at as kids, but they are not dairy. This bread may not be vegan appropriate as written, but it most certainly is dairy free.

45. Michael says

Hello,
    This looks good. I wanted to ask (and I think others have already done so) about replacing eggs. I know of egg replacement products like Ener-G and I know that there are other ways to replace eggs- but would they work in this bread recipe or will there be a better choice for replacement?

My other question is about the coconut milk. I wanted to know if there is a reason why you used coconut milk, would this recipe work with almond milk?
    Thanks!

46. Naomi says

Hey Kelly, I love love love your recipes. I can’t seem to find the sunflower seed variation here. Feeling v sheepish but could you point it out for me. Thanks :)

47. Rhonda says

Hi, love your site!! Is the coconut milk used as a binder or to assist as a rising agent? I am going to give the almond milk a shot and maybe replace an egg or two :) I will let you know how I go :)

48. Teeky says

I had a grilled egg and cheese sandwich this morning for breakfast with this bread! What a wonderful treat. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

49. Holli says

Please tell me does this recipe need the honey? Can it be substituted for something sugar free? Also is it pysillium husk POWDER that we would use? I hope to try this recipe soon! Thanks so much!