Vegan Pumpkin Pie

VeganPumpkinPie

Despite the fact that it was 90-something degrees yesterday, and will be again today, I am in the mood for fall and pumpkin pie : ) I already have an egg-free pumpkin pie made with gelatin, but I wanted a vegan version too, like my vegan pumpkin chai bars. So after reading this comment on my vegan pumpkin chai bars I decided to try turning it into a pie myself:

“Thanks SO much for this yumminess!! I made this last night for my family and followed your recipe exactly… except I put it in a pie pan and made it a pumpkin pie. I had to double the filling, and I also baked the crust for about 10 minutes to give it a drier, toastier flavor. But it was a hit (even with my son who claims to not like pumpkin pie!) I loved the cardamom-chai-spiciness of it.”

I left out the cardamom in this pumpkin pie, but I’m sure it would be really good with it too. Whether you make yours pumpkin chai or just pumpkin, I hope you love this recipe, and thank you Dottie for inspiring it! xoxo

Vegan Pumpkin Pie, no-bake

gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, dairy-free

Crust:

Add to food processor:

2 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob’s) or ground walnuts*
8 soft pitted dates (soak first if they are dry)
1 tsp cinnamon

Puree until it begins sticking together.

Press into a deep ceramic pie dish.
Note: You don’t need to grease or line the dish first. The raw crust won’t stick.

Filling:

Add to a small pot:

1.5 cups coconut milk
1.5 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut sugar (which is low glycemic index)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 to 3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 1/8 tsp ground cloves
Optional (for chai flavor): 1/2 tsp cardamom

Simmer till coconut sugar is just dissolved.

Add:
4 tsp agar powder (Not flakes! You would need far more if you use flakes!)

Whisk agar powder  vigorously while simmering for about one minute.

Pour over crust.

Refrigerate to set.

I prefer to eat it room temperature.

*Ground walnuts are my favorite. I think they create a crust that tastes similar to a graham cracker crust.  But I used almond flour in the photo above.

Comments

YUMMY! I love the idea of the ingredients you use in your crust. If this had eggs in it – how many would you use, and then you wouldn’t have to use gelatin yes?

I have to tell you, I absolutely adore your site and am on here daily, using everything! Your sandwich rolls, wraps, pies,cashew milk, you name it! I brought your pumpkin chai bars to Thanksgiving last year and will bring this vegan pumpkin pie to it this year. I look forward to your postings so much! I’m intrigued to make the grape jam!

Hi Kelly! I loved your chai bars, and this one looks great as well! I have a quick question about your cookbooks- are any of them rich in low-added starch (like tapioca, potato, etc.) gluten free, egg free recipes? I’m always on the lookout for recipes that don’t have added starch or eggs, and I’ve loved every recipe of yours I’ve tried, so if one of your cookbooks matches my diet requirements I’d love to buy it! :) Thanks!

I was wondering if you have any different recommendations for the pie crust. Due to food intolerances almond flour and walnuts are out for me. Any thing else I could use?

Liz, I would try shredded coconut. I think that might work.

Meagan, I don’t know how many eggs, and I don’t think you could bake this kind of crust the way you bake traditional pumpkin pies.

Thank you all so much for the love! ♥

Kelly, I love this recipe! It’s perfect timing, too, as I’m starting to gather recipes for a presentation I’m doing for our local vegetarian group. I’m providing all Thanksgiving gluten-free, vegan recipes. I’ll be making some of them and a few other gluten-free members will be making some of the recipes, too. Now I have the pumpkin pie recipe–thank you!!

xo,
    Shirley

Sunflower, My cookbooks do use arrowroot or tapioca starch, some recipes more than others. They are all gluten-free and dairy-free with many egg-free recipes.

I do something similar for this for my family on Thanksgiving…only instead of stevia or honey, I add a melted white chocolate bar. Not exactly vegan or dairy free, but it sure is good!
    Teresa

9. Kristine says

Made this pie filling for Thanksgiving! Great texture! I’ve been making egg-free pumpkin pies for the last few years but they’ve always been to jelly like. This one finally had the similar texture as a regular pie. I used thai full fat coconut milk, maple syrup, and canned pumpkin. As well I used a knox gelatin pkg, in the past I have used agar agar, but I liked the gelatin. Thanks for the recipe!

10. medina says

Hi Kelly, I tried the recipe and it has been in the fridge for 15 + hours to set however it is still runny.

At this point it won’t set at all.

Can I bake this though there is agar in it?

It’s our Thanksgiving in Canada :)

Thank you for your recommendation (and the recipe!)

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for this recipe. I recently made this recipe and used 4 tsp of gelatin instead of agar (didn’t have any in the house).

I do have a simple question: what size of pie plate did you use? I think I have a smaller one because the crust seems to be thick in some parts.

Yay! I have been looking for a vegan pumpkin pie recipe that looks as nice as its non-vegan brethren. Thank you so much!

13. shawna says

What kind of coconut milk did you use? One from a carton or can? I cannot wait to try this recipe and want to get it right!

My son is begging for pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, which is hilarious because he’s never had it and I’m not even sure he’ll like it, but I think I’m going to give this one a shot! I’m going to sub ground pepita for the crust though, since we have tree nut allergies to contend with!

15. Donna says

Decisions…decisions!! We’re having a “late” Thanksgiving gathering this weekend ..and it seems you have two amazing pumpkin pie recipes totally in alliance with our diet requirements..Question…WHICH ONE do you prefer?…Which one “mimics” most the custardy egg/dairy version in texture and taste…Recent discoverer of your superlative blog..and have signed on as an avid (and impressed!) follower!!

We are currently waiting for this to set up in the fridge. (By far, this is the hardest part about the recipe! haha)

I omitted the stevia and replaced the milk with homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk (sweetened only with honey)… (recipe from Detoxinista).

And I only had almonds on hand so I made my own almond meal and increased the dates since it was drier than almond flour.

The crust and filling taste AMAZING w/out even setting. Can wait to slice it up tonight! (No, I’m not waiting until Thanksgiving. haha).

Thanks for the recipe!

17. Catherine says

Thanks so much for this recipe! We tried it on Thanksgiving, but it was very runny (even after 20+ hours chilling) and ended up having to serve it as a parfait (which was still delicious). We followed the recipe to a T… Should we have more frivolously whisked the agar? What provides the consistency? Would love to know as I look forward to making this recipe again! Thanks!