Kelp Noodles with Thai Coconut Curry

currykelpnoodles2

We are crazy for curry. This recipe is nice because I can make it mild for Zoe, then add more heat for the rest of us, and everyone loves it : ) I have it pictured here by itself, but we often add cauliflower, red pepper and chicken.

These kelp noodles are a-mazing and Paleo/grain-free. I don’t think kelp noodles work well with Italian sauces, but they are delish with Asian sauces, like this Thai curry. We also love them with Elana’s sauce.

Paleo Kelp Noodles with Thai Coconut Curry

For the kelp noodles

You don’t need to cook kelp noodles, but they are very crunchy. I simmer the noodles from two packages in water for ten minutes, then turn off the heat, put the lid on and let them soak in the water for another ten minutes. They will still be crunchy after this process, but when they meet the sauce they soften some more. They won’t be very soft in the end, more like al dente pasta.

Update: Lauren left this comment: “To make kelp noodles soft, all you have to do is soak in water with juice from half a lemon. You can soak them 20 minutes or longer. As they soak, massage the noodles in the water, as you would massage raw kale. This makes them super soft and not crunchy! And it keeps in all the nutrients by avoiding heat and boiling water :)”

For the sauce

Puree:
1 cup coconut milk, canned full-fat
3 tbsp coconut butter (this is optional, but I like it better if you have some)
Note: You can also make your own coconut butter.
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp ume plum vinegar
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 cumin
1/8 chili powder (I make it this way for Zoe, then add about 1 tsp more for everyone else)

To assemble

Heat the sauce on the stove.
Strain the kelp noodles then put them back into the hot pot.
Pour the sauce over the noodles and let them sit for a few minutes before serving.

Serves 4.

Leftovers / Make Ahead

These noodles stay al dente in the fridge! You can eat them straight out of the fridge or reheat : )

Comments

YUM!! This looks amazing Kelly. I just bought some NoNoodles at the store yesterday and I had the kelp noodles in my hand too. I put the kelp noodles back and figured I would try those next time. Maybe I will make this with the NoNoodles that I bought, it looks amazing and I am obsessed with coconut curry!

We recently discovered kelp noodles as well. Love them. A little gross straight out of the package (yes I went there) but delicious once heated slightly. We have bought them both from our local co-op and from iHerb. Thanks so much for all you do here – my naturopath sent me your way :)

I agree with you, I’m not crazy about the idea of kelp noodles with tomato sauce. But I love them with Asian sauces like this! I also just found out that they’re a good source of calcium and have good anti-inflammatory properties, so I will definitely be making a point to eat more kelp noodles :)

To make kelp noodles soft, all you have to do is soak in water with juice from half a lemon. You can soak them 20 minutes or longer. As they soak, massage the noodles in the water, as you would massage raw kale. This makes them super soft and not crunchy! And it keeps in all the nutrients by avoiding heat and boiling water :) going to try this recipe soon! Sounds delicious!

5. jenabh says

I have been contemplating trying these since you and Elana have been talking about them. However, I, too, am concerned about the radiation and mercury levels. Do you have any idea how to know they’re safe levels? (Especially concerned as I’m pregnant.)

Kelp noodles are an amazing idea and so healthy! However, if you have autoimmune thyroid disease like me, kelp and other forms of seaweed have extremely high iodine that will aggravate your condition. Iodine is a trigger for autoimmune thyroid disease, because it stimulates the thyroid, and that stimulates the immune system soon after to attack it even more. So if you have Graves or Hashimotos like me, try making the veggies noodles instead. Your thyroid will thank you for it. Sounds weird, but it’s true.

Made this and can we say YUMMY! I was gonna post pics, but couldn’t. Maybe because we’re in the southwest, but we had to make ours MUCH spicier by using Cheyenne pepper and about 3 tbsps chilli powder. My husband practically licked his plate clean! I put it with quinoa, but don’t know much about quinoa or if its gluten free. Need to do some more research. I’m going to make some custard for dessert now :)