Cashew Cheese video

Cashew Cheese

(For a double batch)

Soak 2 cups of plain cashews (I use organic cashew pieces) overnight in enough water to cover, plus two inches.

Add the strained cashews to the food processor with 1/2 cup coconut cream (or water), one tablespoon of maple syrup (or other sweetener), and the contents of enough dariy-free probiotic capsules to equal about 50 billion.

Puree for about ten minutes, scraping the sides once or twice during that time. It should be completely creamy and smooth.

Transfer the puree to a glass dish and cover with a cloth napkin.

Place the covered dish on a heating pad that is sandwiched between two cloth placemats or two kitchen towels.

Turn the heating pad on so that the bottom of the dish is warm, but not hot. (Note: I’ve also heard that placing it in the oven with only the oven light on works too.)

Ferment the cashew cheese for about 12 hours.

Season with 1/2 tsp Herbamare and herbs of choice. (Sauteed onions and garlic are also excellent in this.)

We love to eat it with peeled thinly sliced jicama (like chips) and carrot sticks, or smeared on lettuce or chard as a roll-up. (I’m also going to share a savory cheesecake made with this cashew cheese very soon.)

Store in the fridge.

Note: Make sure your hands and all of your equipment are very clean to ensure proper fermentation.

Comments

1. Kiki says

I have been afraid to try making my own “cheese”. You have inspired me with your video! I really enjoyed you and it’s great to meet your daughter too. Thank you for doing this.

Yes, You could definitely use an Excalibur.

Thanks Kiki!

Emily, I was wondering about that too. I think it would work, but I can’t be sure until I try it.

Kelly -

Another winning and inspiring recipe! I can’t wait to try this. I’d love a scoop in an omelet, on cauliflower pizza, schmeared on grain free bread….my mind is going!

Thank you for posting this! I love the how to video. So helpful.

Jen
    My big fat grain free life

Kelly,

Another winning recipe! Thank you so much for posting this especially in video form.

I want to make this now! I’d love a scoop in an omelet or on grain free pizza OR spread on grain free bread!

Thanks so much
    Jen
    My big fat grain free life

So excited to see your recipe for cashew cheese! It looks like a very yummy modernized version of the same, which I learned from Dr. Ann Wigmore at the Hippocrates Health Institute when it was in Boston, years ago. Cheers!

What dairy free probiotic do you use? Do you know if it is still milk derived? My kiddos have a milk allergy and I have been trying to find a good probiotic for them.

7. Carrie says

Hi Kelly,

My son is allergic to nuts. Would this work with oats, or coconut?

For Michele -A great hypoallergenic probiotic is from kirkman labs Pro bio gold .

Thanks,
    Carrie

A few questions…

Would this freeze well? Would the harder version freeze well?

How long is it good in the fridge?

If you make the hard cheese, after you strain the moisture out, do you finish the same as the soft cheese you made on the video?

Your little girl is adorable :)

I want to make this! I will try in my dehydrator on 95 degrees since that’s the lowest it will go. Since going dairy free, my hubby has missed cheese and crackers. Gluten free crackers are easy, replicating cheese is a little more difficult. Thank you!

10. carrie says

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your postings. My kids are allergic to nuts would you be able to do this with oats ?

For Michele Kirkman labs has hypoallergenic probiotics that are milk and free of any allergens.

Thanks Carrie

Michelle, I use Klaire Labs (from our doctor) or Solaray dairy-free from the health food store and Amazon.

Devon Spires, I’m afraid we have never frozen it, so I don’t know. We keep it for a few days in the fridge, but usually we eat it really fast – it’s so good! You can watch raw nut cheese videos on youtube to see how they do it with the cheesecloth and strainer :-)

Carrie, I don’t know. I would do a search to see if anyone else has made cheese with oats or coconut.

12. Anne L says

Kelly, This may sound like a dumb question but is it suppose to smell and taste like sour milk? Followed your recipe and video but mine just smells and taste sour…

Anne L, I guess you could call it kind of sour, like yogurt or strong cheese. Did you season it? It tastes better seasoned. Also, you can ferment it for half the time so it won’t be as strong : )

What a great video! We love cashew cheese! I have a similar recipe in my new book though without any coconut milk/cream. I even use Klaire labs probiotics – they are the best! The savory cheesecake looks amazing too. :)

Hi Kelly,

Love your recipes!!! Was wondering where you gets your nuts & other products you use?How do you ensure there’s no cross-contamination? Would you be able to write/list products & where you get them from? Thank You
    Liz

Aw, Ashely is adorable!
    Kelly, what temperature setting is the heating pad on? I’m a bit intimidated by the fermenting piece of this recipe! :)

Aw, Ashely is adorable!

Question, for the coconut cream, do you let the coconut milk sit with the can open to get the cream? How long do you let the can sit? Usually when I have opened my coconut milk even if I have not shaken it is not thick the way yours looked in the video. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am new to using coconut milk and all these type products.

Hi Kelly !

Thanks for that recipe, Im really excited about finding an alternative to cheese as it is the only thing I really miss in my new diet.

I tried to make it with cashews today and I’m not sure whether I like it or not, or if something went wrong…

After the 12-hour fermenting process, there was a layer of yellowish, dry like crust on top, the taste is rather acidic and it smells a little like yeast. Is it supposed to be like that ?

Would love to make sure I didn’t do anything wrong. For two cups cashews, I put the whole can of coconut cream (it had separated so I put both cream and liquid).

I haven’t added anything to it yet. I’ll buy Herbamare this afternoon and maybe it’ll do the trick.

Hi Kelly !

Hi Kelly !

22. Samantha says

oooooooo! Do you think I could make creamed pearl onions with this? Or do you have a recommendation how I could do a gluten free and dairy free version of creamed pearl onions for thanksgiving?

• says

This cheese will turn into runny sauce when it becomes warm, but you could thicken it with some arrowroot. I wouldn’t really cook it though, because it will kill the good bacteria :-)