Banana Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts

GlutenFree_EggFree_Doughnuts

These cute little clouds are soft chewy banana cinnamon & sugar doughnuts. While my favorites are still the mini Boulder creams, these are Zoe’s favorite, so I thought I would share them too.

They’re made with coconut flour and no eggs or starch. —Something I thought couldn’t be done.

I used a combination of mashed bananas and psyllium husk powder. Psyllium husk powder comes from the fiber which covers the seed. I don’t know how to get this stretchy texture with eggs, but feel free to experiment yourself.

Banana Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts
grain-free, starch-free, egg-free

Add to blender or food processor:
2 ripe mashed bananas (about 2/3 cup)

3/4 cup cashew milk
2tbsp honey
1/4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread, soy-free, liquified (or oil of choice)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
NOTE: I like to add the psyllium husk powder last, just before blending
Puree.
Pour into mixing bowl.
Add:
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted (to prevent clumps in the dough)
Mix with electric mixer.
Line a cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
Use a large ice cream scoop with a lever to get the dough. Pack it in and level it off.
OR divide the dough into 8 balls if you don’t have a large ice cream scoop with a lever.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes.
Cool for five minutes.
Dip in melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread (or coconut oil) then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Cinnamon & Sugar
Puree in Magic Bullet or coffee grinder:
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Comments

I will be making those today! We don’t have to eat GF here, but we are sensitive to dairy and my son can’t have processed sugar. I love how your recipes never have processed sugar, as it’s the one ingredient we always NEED to avoid and your food always looks so good! Thanks for sharing :)

any idea on how they’d come out without the psyllium?? im not sure if i have an allergy or not (i know i’m not good with seeds and can’t do flax or chia for that reason) thanks!

Yummy! I made these this morning and used 3 Tablespoons ground chia seed and they turned out great! Not as pretty as the photo though cuz I didn’t have a scoop ; ) I made a glaze out of coconut oil and honey and used that on top with some sprinkles

4. missearlygirl says

Hi Kelly – I’ve used many of your recipes with great success, but this is the first time I’ve commented. I made the doughnuts this morning, and unfortunately, they didn’t work for me. I’m sure it was something wrong on my end, and I want to try them again, so I’m hoping you can help me diagnose the problem. The only thing I did differently is sub coconut milk (full-fat, canned) for the cashew milk, since I’m allergic to cashews. Could this be the problem? They looked beautiful on the outside, just like your photo, but the insides never cooked through, even after 15 minutes of additional baking. I’m also wondering if my psyllium powder is the same as psyllium husk powder…I bought it at the co-op, and it was only labeled as ‘psyllium powder”. Regardless, I hovered around my cooled doughnuts and peeled off all the tops, dipping them into the glaze, and stuffing them into my mouth! Those little bites were delicious, and I can’t wait Try them again!!

I made them today. They were good, but just tasted like banana bread in ball form. They tasted yummy enough, but I don’t think I would make them again. It’s a good alternative though, if you want banana bread but don’t have eggs.

Great post! sounds very delicious. I love your recipe for this making yummy Banana Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts. All I can say AMAZING! Thanks for sharing this info!

7. barb says

I love your recipes, but honey is too much sugar for me. The only sweeteners I can eat are stevia, and sweet fruit like bananas. Not even dates or figs or raisins, no agave…nothing like that. Would love to see more sugar free recipes

I love your recipes, but this one didn’t work for us. The texture was a little too doughy and the y were a little bland for me. But I love your other doughnut recipes!!

Hi kelly, so glad to discover your blog, I am an aussie with a 9yr old son who has ADHD. Thanks to an awesome naturopath we follow a wheat free casein free diet with fantastic success. I try to bake everything he eats to avoid processed foods & additives, your recipes are going to be my saviour as monotony has set in!!!

THIS TEXTURE!!!! It’s incredible! The taste is okay, like a subtle banana bread, but the TEXTURE… it’s like real bread! With a bit of experimentation I think it could easily become a miracle gluten free sandwich bread! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Do you have any idea of a replacement for the banana in this? Do you think applesauce would possibly work? I really want to make these for my son for Christmas but he can’t have banana because of the sugar. He has eczema reacting to candida growth.

Any idea how this would be without the banana? Is there a replacement like applesauce?? My son can’t have banana (eczema/candida) but I’d love to make this for Christmas

Hi! If I don’t have psyllium husks is there something I can use in it’s place, or could I omit it all together?

Thanks,
    Tanya

14. Amanda says

Thank you for this recipe!! I am allergic to eggs and dairy, and they seem to be in so many things. I’m also allergic to almonds, so having cashews in this really made my day!!!

Note: Make sure you measure your banana because if there is too much, they will NEVER cook.

I left out the nutmeg on my second try because that was all I could taste the first time I made these and I thought they were a bit gross with nutmeg overpowering the taste of anything else. This time I added some dairy free chocolate chips…and they were so good!!!

15. Sarah says

I can’t wait to try these!! I made the Boulder Cream Donuts this morning and they were SOOO good!!