Whipped Coconut Cream Freezer Pie with a Mint Swirl & a Chocolate Coconut Crust

GlutenFreeMIntChocolatePie

This is one of those desserts that my oldest daughter and my husband informed me they would not like. We were driving home when I excitedly told them what was awaiting us when we returned. “No thanks.” they both said with that look on their face like they just smelled something bad. I tried to stay cool. “Just one bite,” I tried to persuade them, “and if you don’t like it then it’s more for me!” Joking around is the best thing to do in my opinion :-)

So we reached the house and I ran inside. I couldn’t wait to eat the freezer pie. I gave them a bite of my huge slice. Their eyes lit up. “Gotcha!” said the voice inside my head, as they both asked for their own piece.

Then the next day they asked me to make it again. A total hit.

I hope you love it too.

Whipped Coconut Cream Freezer Pie with Mint Swirl & a Chocolate Coconut Crust

Whipped Coconut Cream

Add to bowl:
cream from two cans of full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp honey
Mix with electric mixer for about a minute.
Chill in the fridge.

Next prepare the crust.

Chocolate Coconut Crust

Add to food processor:
1/2 cup soft pitted medjool dates (about 8 large dates)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Puree until it begins to form clumps.

Press the crust into a 7″ springform pan

Next make the mint swirl.

Mint Swirl

Add to food processor or Magic Bullet
Note: the Magic Bullet works better to puree small amounts like this.
1/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup honey that has been warmed to make it liquify
2 tsp lemon juice (to help keep the color and add a nice tang)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Puree for a few minutes. Set aside.

Assemble

When the whipped coconut cream is chilled take it out and whip it again for about 20 seconds. Add it to the crust.
Put the crust with the cream back in the fridge if needed to set some more before adding the mint swirl.
To get the mint swirl, slowly pour the mint puree in a spiral on top of the whipped coconut cream.
Note: You will not use all of the mint puree. Save the leftover puree and use it when you serve the pie (instructions to follow).
Use a skewer in a figure eight motion to swirl the mint into the cream.
Cover and freeze the pie.

Enjoy

Remove the whipped coconut cream freezer pie from the freezer.
Let sit on the counter for about ten minutes.
Run a knife along the outside to loosen it.
Remove the wall of the springform pan.
Run a knife under the crust to loosen it from the bottom of the pan.
Lift the whole pie onto a plate.
Slice with a large sharp knife.
Drizzle each plate with leftover mint puree before adding a slice.

Comments

1. EMC says

This looks SOOOO good. I cannot wait to try it! My daughter is a HUGE mint-chocolate fan, so I’ll probably make it as is at least the first time… But I’m also really looking forward to playing around with the swirl. Caramel swirl anyone?

OMG! That looks divine! My cans of coconut milk can finally be put to use! Thank you!

I happen to have raspberries.. do you think that would be a good replacement for fresh mint?

This looks amazing and I love that you used such simple ingredients! I dont have any dates right now, is there something I could use instead? Thank you so much for all your delicious recipes, Kelly!

This looks soooo good! Any ideas for what to use instead of the dates? I don’t feel good when I eat dates.

5. Natasha says

Sounds great. How much volume does the coconut cream come to? I’d rather just buy coconut cream than separate it from the milk.

Also, I’m in Australia, so don’t know if we have that brand here.

Thanks

Wow Kelly! That looks So Amazing!
    I want a huge slice! lol
    You are very talented!
    Can you make ice cream and soy milk in the BlenTec?

Blessings,
    Jeanene

Chocolate and Mint! You can never go wrong with the two! I’m curious as to the consistencies…I’ve been using coconut based products lately. Very tasty and the texture is very good. Definitely want to try this one out. Thanks!

8. Tamara says

Kelly, my kids have been after me to make a dairy-free, gluten-free Grasshopper Pie, and you seem to have dropped it into my lap! Is there any reason not to mix the mint puree right in with the coconut, to get a consistency green, minty pie?

I fixed this yesterday and cut my first slice of the pie at lunch time, and it was awesome! I’ve had two pieces so far. Thanks for the recipe, Kelly!

This looks amazing! My daughter has severe food allergies (peanuts, some tree nuts — but thankfully NOT coconut or almond — and soy)…and I am newly Gluten Free. I love that this is something she and I could both eat — we are big Family Dinner people. I actually think I can pull this off for her…and I cannot wait to try it. THANK YOU!

11. Robyn Mason says

Made this last night for two girlfriends today. Didn’t let the coconut cream set enough before drizzling the mint, and so it sank in, but this created a fantastic layering of colour and flavour when it was done. Before I served it I spread raspberry coulis (sugar free) over the top and it looked and tasted beautiful. My friends were seriously impressed, so a big thank you for this great recipe!!

12. Annie says

This is amazing!!! I used carob powder instead of chocolate in the crust (I can’t eat chocolate because my nursing baby is sensitive to it – so, so sad) and it turned out great still. Thanks for another awesome recipe!

13. Halley says

Another AWESOME recipe! Made the apricot Danish, and tonight THIS! Made it with my 6yr old, and she is eating it as we speak!! YUM! Thank you!