Last week I posted my Vanilla & Toasted Coconut Bars (with a mock-peanut and chocolate chip variation), which are my variation of a Lara Bar. After they were all
scarfed down eaten I decided to try another flavor. I added some acai powder which gave the bars this great dark color, as well as dried sour cherries and dairy-free chocolate chips. They are so delish.
Lara Bars are mainly dates, and my recipe is not mainly dates, because I needed more protein, fiber, and good fat 🙂 Coconut cream, shredded (unsweetened) coconut, and nut butter make up the bulk of my homemade Lara Bar recipe. I hope you enjoy it too!
Sour Cherry Homemade Lara Bars
gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo
For the base:
1/2 cup melted coconut cream concentrate (also sold as coconut butter or coconut manna)
1/2 cup soft pitted medjool dates
1/4 cup almond butter OR sunbutter if nuts aren’t tolerated
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp acai powder OR cacao powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
optional: 1/8 tsp vanilla stevia
1/2 cup dried sour cherries
To fold in:
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- Add all of the base ingredients except for the dried sour cherries to the food processor with the S blade and puree.
Note: You may need a couple more tablespoons of water, depending on how dry your nut butter is. Add extra water slowly so your base doesn’t become thin. You want it to look like thick nut butter.
- Add the dried sour cherries to the base and pulse to roughly chop the cherries.
- Add the base to the bowl large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Using a flexible spatula (or your hands), press the mixture into a square dish lined with unbleached parchment paper.
- Freeze for half an hour then cut into bars and store in the fridge.
Makes about 8 bars.
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more free recipes and exclusive giveaways!