N’oatmeal Bars (gluten free mock oatmeal bars)

noatmealbarsLOW
Warning: These bars (and the cookies they’re based on) are seriously addictive.

But don’t worry—they’re packed with protein and fiber thanks to the almond butter and shredded coconut. And they have very little (natural) sugar, thanks to my good friend Mr. Stevia :-)

How did they come to be? That would be the brilliant Jenni, at The Urban Poser. She created these crazy good Grain Free No ‘Oatmeal’ Creme Pie Cookies, and I proceeded to make them about a dozen times. I gave two batches away, and my family and I devoured ate the rest.

At some point I decided to take the modifications I made to the cookies, and turn them into grain-free mock oatmeal bars. Yum yum. They are so good.

In case you’re wondering, I did make them with an egg and no chia meal to see what would happen. They did rise a little bit more, but otherwise there was no difference. They were crumbly before being refrigerated, just like these egg-free bars.

N’oatmeal Bars (mock oatmeal bars)

grain-free, egg-free, low glycemic index

Add to bowl:
1 cup almond butter
Note: If you use a more runny almond butter you wont need as much water. —your batter should be fairly thick.
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp water
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp vanilla stevia (you know how  we love stevia)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Mix with electric mixer.

Add:
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbsp chia seed meal (OR substitute 1 egg and use half the water above)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
Note: omit baking powder if you sub an egg for the chia meal
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
Mix with electric mixer.

Transfer to square greased baking dish. Spread evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Cool on the counter, then refrigerate until cold before serving.

Note: These are best cold. If you eat them room temperature or warm they will crumble more.

Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for my FREE Paleo Pasta eBook, more recipes, and subscriber giveaways!

Comments

These sound great. The one thing my son really misses eating a primal diet is oatmeal…but these will be right up his alley. Thank you so much. xx

2. Leah says

HI Kelly, I recently discovered I might have a nut allergy – do you know what i might be able to subsitute for the almonds butter?

• CJ says

Leah I n ade then with sunbutter because that’s all I had and they were great. I would imagine they tasted a little nuttier than if I’d used almond butter though.

OMG! I am so excited for these bars! I have been following you for months now and have loved every recipe I’ve tried so far. But this has me itching to get to the store ASAP to pick up some of the ingredients I need in order to make the bars. We’re addicted to homemade granola bars here and I’ve been wondering how to scale back our consumption of them due to the grain. This is perfect! Thank you!

4. Angela T. says

Sounds super yummy! What could I use in place of the vanilla stevia as I don’t have any? Thanks!!

5. Pam says

I made these tonight but didn’t have any honey and substituted it for agave and I had about 3/4 cup of almond butter and topped it off with peanut butter. My family don’t like raisins baked in food so I added a few 70% cocoa chips and they were really good that way too but I want to make them again with honey as soon as I can get to the store and get some! Thanks for this recipe it’s yummy!

I was desparate for a treat yesterday and the cupboards were relatively bare. So I made these with a few substitutions: natural peanut butter, coconut chips roughly chopped, no raisins. They are so good – remind me of a cake-y No-bake cookie. Next time I would use less cinnamon – but that is just a personal preference (or maybe due to the peanut butter). Kelly, when you said “addictive” you weren’t lying!!!

Hey Kelly – I substituted peanut butter and left all the ingredients the same because I am allergic to almonds. I found they kind of crumbled apart. How do I avoid this from happening again.

The peanut butter was natural organic peanut butter – was it maybe to dry?

If I use an egg in place of the chia meal, do I also use less water? Thanks in advance for your reply!

9. Mary P. says

I made these as a treat for my family. I used homemade pecan butter since I can’t have almonds. I used the chia seeds but left out the baking powder and increased the soda to 1/2 tsp. WOW! These tasted like real oatmeal raisin cookies. We have been on a grain-free, sugar free diet for 5 months and these were a yummy treat! Thank you for the recipe. My husbands first reaction was “these taste like oatmeal”. I will be making these again for sure.

10. Les says

Made this last night! Very tasty. I used an egg instead of the chia seed meal and dates instead of raisins. I think I’ll top it with coconut whipped cream tonight :)

11. golden1 says

I absolutely love these. I find it hard to find recipes that are gf,df,and sugar free. I am on this site everyday looking for new ideas. There’s not one recipe I haven’t loved.

12. Sarah says

WOW! These are amazing! I did have to make two changes-I substituted maple syrup for the honey, and used cut up pieces of date paste in place of the raisins due to pantry inventory. They are so sweet and decadent. They remind me of a brownie. My gluten loving family loves then! We are trying to go GF completely and with this recipe and website I think it will be very easy! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes!

13. Donna says

LOVING Mary and Sarah’s tips…using maple syrup works to perfection….and I want to try this with homemade pecan butter….Would hazelnut butter work as well?…

Any thoughts on Kitul or yucon syrup or coconut nectar as lower (?) glycemic-level liquid sugars?

Love the use of chia in your recipes and I can tell you do lots of kitchen-lab “testing” …as the textures are always perfection and spot-on as you describe. Thank you for your giving and generous culinary shares. We ALL profit shamelessly.

14. Donna says

OOps!!..Meant to respond to Ronnda’s questions as well…Perhaps, goji berries would be a lower GI dried fruit to sub?…Or think even bits of fresh fig?..

Also, here in France there is a liquid sweetener called Kitul (?) which is not supposed to affect glycemic levels much (safe for diabetics) which I see in the bio/organic food boutiques here…I am not sure it is “Spunky Coconut”-approved!…I have yet to try it…but it looks intriguing?

15. Donna says

I made these!! They ARE yummy! I didn’t have enough raisins so I added a bit of dried figs. I also threw in a handful of pumpkin seeds. Crunchy

17. christine says

These bar are amazing. The recipe as written is perfect. To change up the flavor, I’ve used homemade cashew butter in place of almond butter and didn’t add any honey because cashews are sweet enough for my family. I love the versitility of this recipe and how you can make it your own without a lot of work. Thanks for sharing.

18. Beverly says

The photo reminds me of my Mom’s Hermits. I want to make your recipe and shape them like she did for Hermits. Is the dough too soft to do this? I would portion the dough into tennis-size balls. and pat each into a long flat rectangle about 2-3 inches wide. Then brush with 1 beaten egg (for shiny traditional looking hermit top) Bake 350 for 15-25 minutes. Slice 1-1/4 inches on the diagonal while warm.
    For a sugar free substitute for honey, one could use Nature’s Hollow “Honey” or “Maple Syrup” There are very good xylitol based syrups. 1/4 cup has 50 calories and 19 grams carbohydrate.

19. Jennifer says

Hi,
    I am also interested in using coconut sugar instead of stevia, and have seen other comments about substitutions for stevia with no responses… can you please let us know? I will try this recipe this week using coconut sugar and can definitely let the group know the outcome.

THanks, and keep up the great work and giving us excellent recipes!

jennifer

20. Nicole says

I was soooo happy with these bars. My toddler recently had wheat, corn and oats taken out of his diet due to an intolerance and that pretty much ruled out all of the snacks I had at home for him. I made these bad with fingers crossed, and he LOVED them. I got 16 snack sized bars out of one recipe. I also added chopped dates to the recipe and they are fantastic! Thank you

21. Karen Taylor says

Hello! Have these in my oven right now – can’t wait to try them. Just a tip – really don’t need the electric mixer. They stir up very quickly without it (and it’s just another thing to wash). My mouth is already watering – thanks for sharing this great recipe!