Chocolate Doughnuts (grain-free, gluten-free)

Gluten_Free_Chocolate_Donuts

There have been doughnuts in the air lately. I’ve seen them popping up on some of my favorite blogs. It’s contagious. I’m afraid I’ve caught the bug ;-)

I decided to make mine without eggs for all you guys who have an egg allergy, or a child with an egg allergy. I know a few kiddos myself who are allergic to eggs. Then I made them with an egg for those of you who can use them. Both ways are YUM-O.

As I was taking the photos of the doughnuts I look over and what do I see? Ashley B, eating the Tropical Traditions, Coconut Cream Concentrate (CCC) with a spoon. LOVE it.

UPDATE: I tested the doughnut recipe (made with an egg) some more, and I think they will work for you now. After I had problems with the egg-free doughnuts sinking (and I took both recipes down) two of you left me a comment saying that the doughnuts had worked wonderfully for you. Thank you so much for telling me! Your comments and my continued testing have given me the confidence to put the recipe with an egg back up. When I am sure that the egg-free version is working I will put it back up also. Happy doughnut eating :-)

Chocolate Doughnuts with Coconut Cream Frosting
(grain-free, gluten-free)

Add to blender:

1 egg

1/2 cup almond butter (I’ve been loving this organic one)
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 to 1/4 tsp vanilla stevia (to your taste)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp cocoa powder (or 2 tbsp coconut flour for vanilla doughnuts)
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup coconut milk, as needed
Note: The amount of milk you need depends on how thick your almond butter is. You want the batter to be fairly thick – almost too thick to pour from the blender. Add the milk gradually – you can always add more, but you can’t take it out :-)
Puree the batter.
Add 1/2 tsp of oil (I use coconut oil, liquified) to each doughnut well. My doughnut pan holds six regular sized doughnuts, and it is non-stick. You really need the oil for these doughnuts even with the non-stick pan. Rub the oil all around each well.
Pour the batter evenly between the six doughnut wells. There may be a little left over.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. They will continue cooking slightly as they cool in the pan.
Cool the doughnuts in the pan for at least 10 minutes before carefully taking them out.
We topped ours with melted Tropical Traditions, Coconut Cream Concentrate. I made the frosting just like this one, by The Urban Poser, minus the lemon juice. I also sprinkled toasted shredded coconut on top. Yum.

Comments

These look amazing Kelly. Donuts are definitely in the air. Besides you guys and myself, I knew of three other people that made donuts on Sunday :)
    I am actually working on a similar recipe to this inspired by the Roost donuts. I cannot wait to try yours – I cannot believe there isn’t any flour in these, thats amazing! Thanks for sharing!
    Oh and your photos are incredible by the way!

Kristen, I’ve been using it as an egg-substitute for people & kiddos with an egg allergy :-)

Anonymous, That might work. Sunflower seed butter would most likely work also if you can do seeds.

Thanks Beth! Can’t wait for yours! XOXO

Coconut cream concentrate? I think that might be what I’ve been looking for. Can you make coconut milk with it?? Where do you buy it?

Last week I nearly cut my thumb off trying to make coconut milk from fresh coconuts. I told myself there must be an easier way to get coconut milk without the can!

4. Charlotte Moore says

I did not see where you used the coconut cream for the icing. The one I saw was coconut butter. How am I missing this/

Hi just wondering how you would change the recipe to make non-chocolate donuts? I cannot wait to try these I ordered a Dounut pan today cuz I saw this! Thanks!

Kelly, don’t you feel bad for one second. Live and learn right? I mean who would’ve thunk that the consistency of a nut butter could have such an impact on this recipe?

Your readers understand that you create and post recipes out of the goodness of your heart—to heal and to help others. I can only imagine how many jars of almond you have gone and will go through just to perfect this recipe (you are soooo close). It will get there. I hope people understand and appreciate your labor of love.

Hello!

Just wanted you to know that I made them using Trader Joe’s roasted almond butter…and coconut oil and they were perfect, moist and awesome!!! Unfortunately, I didn’t write the recipe down…just made it from the website…please, please post again when you can!!! My whole family went nuts! Thanks! ~Sue~

My whole homeschool co-op is waiting for this recipe!!~no pressure :) I hope you are able to work out the kink because these doughnuts look fantabulous!!

Hmmm, just to let you know, I made these yesterday and they turned out great. I quadrupled them because I have four boys and they have friends, so it was sorta hard on my blendtec, but it worked. I used homemade almond butter from unblanched almonds that I roasted first. I made the egg version and they had a nice fluffy texture, not oily at all, and there was no sinking. The boys all loved them and would have eaten them all if I hadn’t made them save some for lunches today.

I really want to make these! I’m on GAPS though, so I can’t do baking soda or powder. I’m usually able to get away without using it, but I’m wondering if it will work for these. Hmmm….

Did those of you that had success do the egg free version? if so, what did’ya do? need to do this for friday donut days:) thanks, tracy
    I kow Kelly is working on it, but I am soooo eager and I know she has alot on her plate.

12. Lauren says

I tried the recipe with the egg and it worked wonderfully!! We loved the donuts. This will be my go-to donut recipe from now on. I used a generic store brand almond butter. Thank you for this lovely recipe.

Hi Kelly,
    I made these this morning and they were great. I’m wondering if you have doubled the recipe. I have both a regular (6) pan and a mini donut pan (12) so I’m thinking about filling them both. I’m guessing I should cut the time a bit with the mini pan. Any thoughts. Thanks again for your great recipes!

My kids loved these, but I didn’t have a doughnut pan, so I used a mini-cupcake pan. Today I doubled the recipe and poured the batter into a small cake pan so they can have birthday cake for Grandma’s birthday. The only subsitution I made was I used sunflower seed butter instead of the almond because that is what we had. Delicious – thank you!

Erin,
    You can get coconut cream concentrate on Tropical Traditions website. You can make coconut milk with it (though for me it didn’t quite work).
    Erica,
    I’m on GAPS, too, and you can use small amounts of baking soda in baking (no powder, though). I’m going to try it and see how it comes out.
    I can’t wait to try these!!

I would love to know the best donut pan to buy or if you can recommend one to me.I would really appreciate it.Love your recipes! Thank you in advance. Take Care, Jacqueline

I made these today for a special New Year’s Eve breakfast for my GAPSters. Thank you so much for the recipe, they were a huge hit, my children were all begging for seconds. I frosted them with a silky chocolate icing I made from honey, butter, and unsweetened chocolate. I think the only thing I would do differently next time is to double the recipe. ;) Thank you for helping to make our New Year’s Eve special!

Just made these today, very rainy day. However, they turned out more cupcake like than donut like and I had to bake for 32 minutes. Don’t really know why….I live in Montreal, which is considered a depression so maybe that’s low-altitude baking. But they were tasty. Made them in 12 donut tin, instead of 6, so were smaller.

Thank you for posting this recipe. I am planning on making these today for my boys. Can you clarify the use of coconut concentrate. I wasn’t clear if you made frosting and then put the coconut on top, or if you sub. the coconut butter with the concentrate.Thank you again, appreciate your sharing with the gf community.

Wanted to post feedback, we made the donuts, lovely, yummy, boys ate them.
    I made them twice, first time, made the batter to thick not enough milk, second time, they were great. Both tasted wonderful. Thank you!
    I put a plate on the kitchen table, my son was doing homework, I came back down, most of them were gone! he said, I know, I am sorry, they were so good, I couldn’t help myself, they just kept staring at me.

The first 6 have come out of the oven. They look like “real” donuts. We’ve made donuts with coconut flour that are tasty, but these should fool our resident gluten eater if any are left when he gets home.
    Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just found out I have celiacs, and I am in mourning for all the delicious food I feel like I will have to give up. This post really helped! I made these in a donut hole maker, and they were delicious! I put a simple chocolate glaze on them, and the whole family loved them! Thank you so much.

Is there something I can substitute for almond butter? I made these in hopes that my husband would be okay with them. (Almonds did not show up on his allergy test but almond milk bugs him sometimes). Unfortunately he didn’t do too well with these and I think it’s due to the butter. But he really thought they were delicious so I’d like to try them again with something else. Any suggestions?

25. Stephanie says

SO glad I found this recipe! Can’t wait to try– I’m trying to avoid baking with paleo flours (sensitive to almond, don’t like the texture of coconut) so this recipe fits the bill!