Lemon Herb Chicken

lemonchicken2

This is our new favorite chicken dish. It is so simple and yet such an explosion of flavor. I’ve always loved getting chicken with lemon sauce when we go out to eat, and now we can have it at home with organic ingredients.

I’ve read that chicken (which isn’t organic) is fed arsenic to make the chicken hungry so that they eat more. This would explain why so many kids with autism show such high levels of arsenic. Our DAN! doctor says that other ways of getting arsenic are from drinking tap water and being exposed to old porch wood. We drink reverse osmosis water, we have a new house, and we only buy organic chicken. However, we do eat (non-organic) chicken when we go out to eat. After Ashley’s last test showed yet more arsenic, I’ve decided we should stop eating chicken out.

Lemon Herb Chicken

Mix in a small bowl:
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp chicken seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Optional: 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Set aside.

Cut 3 chicken breast halves lengthwise into cutlets.

(How to Slice Cutlets Video)

Sprinkle one side of the cutlets with Herbamare.

Heat a large pan over low/med heat.

Add a couple tablespoons of oil to the pan.

Lay the cutlets in the pan, seasoned side down.

Sprinkle more Herbamare on the other side of the cutlets, which is facing up.

Pour your sauce over the chicken.

Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid, slightly cracked.

Cook for about 20 minutes (or until the chicken is done), flipping once.

Sauce thickens slightly as it cools.

We have been eating this with a side of Cauli Rice (seen in the background above) from page 59 of Eat Like A Dinosaur.

Comments

I have a question for you. I have been looking into finding a water purifier that I would love. You mentioned you use a reverse osmosis water filter to avoid arsenic, do you mind sharing the brand and how you like it??? Thanks!

I am in the early stages of lerning about foods and ASDs. I’ve always been the obnoxious family member who begged Mum to buy organic foods not really knowing why. I knew that they are cleaner in terms of pesticides and steroids, but never knew about chickens being fed arsenic. That’s insane. Thanks for the info as well as a great chicken recipe! http://adventuresofdutchandme.blogspot.com/

Thank you for this recipe! I just got done eating it and it is SO good! It was so easy to do, too =) I’ll definitely be making this one again and again.

Also, I had no idea about the arsenic! My husband is a special ed teacher so we’re constantly talking about dietary issues as they relate to special needs =)

4. Marisa says

Hi Kelly! Love your site, have learned a lot. My daughter also has autistic symptoms, and we have been able to recover her from diet and supplementation. We use an oral chelator and lipoceutical glutathione; her initial hair test showed high levels of heavy metals, and after 6 mos of active chelating her hair test showed even higher levels. I was alarmed and dismayed as you are, but our nutri-practitioner said this was a good sign as the higher levels show they are coming out of her body and that the chelating agent is effective. I hope this is the case for you and your precious one. God bless your family! – Marisa

5. Melaina at Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery says

We just did a feature on great spring recipes and this looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing this light and yummy spring dish!

6. Momsy says

Love love this recipe. Made it twice and success both times. First time I used a Tahini sauce and it was all a bit too lemony. This time I used tahini butter and it was way better. Also used boneless chicken thighs instead of breast. My family prefers these and they are cheaper. Thanks so much for your great recipes. I have referred a gazillion people to your sight.