Gluten Free Flatbread with Herbs and Cooked Garbanzo Beans

ChickpeaBread

We have been buying and eating hummus frequently lately. So I decided I should make it myself, by soaking and cooking dry garbanzo beans, which is so much cheaper. But before I could make hummus I had a thought: “Can you make socca with cooked garbanzo beans?” I know, I know, I have a history of using cooked beans as opposed to bean flour :-) I think they’re so much easier to digest, and I love the texture cooked beans create in baking. But you really can’t call this socca, because it’s very different.

After three tries I achieved the bread above. Which is amazing. It’s buttery (don’t ask me why) and flakey and oh-so-good. I tried to fiddle with it some more, but I came back to this version again. It’s the best. It tastes great alone, with olive oil and more herbs sprinkled on top, and it also makes a great pizza crust. We’ve had it as a pizza twice now. Yum yum.

If you use egg substitute, please let us know how it works out. And you can always use a socca recipe (which is egg-free), like in my friend Amy’s cookbook. I tried to make mine egg-free, but have not been successful yet.

Herb Gluten Free Flatbread with Cooked Garbanzo Beans

Add to blender or food processor:

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans at room temperature (If they are cold from the fridge put them in a pot of hot water for a few minutes, then strain.)
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil (cold pressed, extra virgin is best)
1 tsp Italian herb blend
1/2 tsp Herbamare (or sub sea salt)

Puree until very smooth.

Place 12″ cast iron skillet inside the oven.

Turn the oven on to 500 degrees.

Set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes.

After 15 to 20 minutes, carefully remove the cast iron skillet from the oven.

Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. (Make sure there isn’t any water on the measuring spoon, because water will splatter and could burn you.)

Scoop your batter into the skillet and carefully spread it out with a silicone spatula. (I do this with an oven mitt on, so I don’t accidentally burn myself.)

Bake for about 15 minutes.

Serve alone or add pizza toppings and return to the oven for a few minutes more.

UPDATE: Slice into 4 or 6 pieces with a pizza wheel while it is still in the pan, and remove each piece one at a time. It’s too flakey to come out in one piece.

Comments

have you found a difference between the garbonzo and navy beans in cooking?! could I use navy (off the top of your head?! )

Oh yum! Can’t wait to try it! I have some garbanzo beans in the freezer that I cooked up to make hummus, I think I’ll make both!

I don’t have a cast iron skillet. I have a cast iron pot and I have a stainless steel skillet that can go in the oven. Which do you think would be better to use?

3. Rachel Jimenez says

Perfect timing! I have a large pot of freshly soaked and cooked garbanzos sitting in the fridge waiting to be turned into hummus and bean-based cookie dough dip, roasted with cinnamon and sugar (or cocoa powder), and now, turned into flat bread. I will definitely try this tomorrow. This may be the properly prepared, gluten-free bread I’ve been searching for :)

4. Lauren says

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for for approximately a year now. I completely agree about cooked beans vs. bean flours, and I am so thankful for your effort. I currently don’t have access to an oven (sad, I know), but as soon as I do I think this will be the first recipe I attempt.

Thanks again!

hi kelly,
    i don’t have a cast iron skillet but would love to give this a try. any idea how i could cook it to get similar results??
    <3 susanne

I LOVE the idea, what a wonderful recipe!! I really have to try it next weekend; maybe I´ll serve it as a Pizza Greek-style topped with tomato sauce, spinach, goats-cheese and walnuts – yum! :)
    Have a great weekend,
    Bettina

7. Giorgia says

Hi, Kelly!
    First of all, I would like to pay you a compliment for your wonderful recipes. They are really very well suited for people with type 1 diabetes (my husband)as they have far less sugars and carbs than normal (GF) recipes. Our family and friends like your cakes, too! We are so happy that we found your blog! Thank you so much!
    Now, about chickpeas…I would like to give you the recipe for farinata, an Italian specialty from the coastal city of Genova.
    Ingredients: 900 ml water, 300 g chickpeas flour, salt, pepper, 1 glass olive oil (extra virgin). Circular oven dish, diameter 40 cm. Mix well water and flour. Wait for 5 hours (up to 10). Then add salt and 1/2 glass olive oil. Grease the oven dish with the remaining oil. Place in the oven (220C) for 30 minutes. If necessary, grill.
    This recipe comes from http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Farinata-di-ceci.html and you can how it looks like.

Thanks everyone!

I don’t know if the same proportions would work with another bean, like navy beans. I do think it would taste different (not bad, just different). The garbanzo beans give this a lovely buttery taste and flakey texture, so if you can have them I would try it :-)

9. Jen says

has anybody tried the Bobs Red Mill Hearty Whole Grain GF bread mix for bread machines? Did it work? Like or dislike?

Kelly, Thank you for the great blog. Do you know how this tastes differently from a socca bread? It seems very similar except it uses grabanzo flour. I love socca, so I think I HAVE to try this. You are awesome.

im wondering about making this with clay cookware. i can imagine it would work similar. I hope to try this soon,

How thick should the batter be?? I used navy beans instead and added extra beans cause it seemed really runny…is it supposed to be really runny? Thanks!

I had no idea you could make ‘bread’ with beans! Thank you, this is an exciting concept for me. I have recently given up gluten, processed sugar and dairy after deciding to love and appreciate my body and health. Cant wait to try this recipe and share it with the readers on my blog! What other beans could be used in this recipe? Could you use chickpeas?

This was amazing. I am allergic to garbanzo beans so I used great northern white beans. After it cooked I topped it with pizza toppings and even my husband who is very picky ate a slice and loved it.

I had to make this! I switched up the spices a bit and it was so terrific! I made a yummy carrot dip to go with it. I can’t believe how easy it was! Oh and the sizzle as it goes into the skillet is so satisfying!

I linked back to your blog for the recipe from my blog- where I rave about the recipe.

Thanks so much.

16. Sharmista says

I’ve made this twice now and it’s amazing!!! The first time I used my stainless steel skillet and the second time I used Pampered Chef stoneware. Both worked very well. I made pizza with it both times and my family was thrilled. This made REAL pizza that could be cut into wedges and held up with one hand (the true pizza test!) Thank you, Kelly, for this wonderful recipe!!

I wonder if it would be good to blend some herbs in while you’re processing the chickpeas? It could turn into rosemary flatbread… :)

18. Sarah says

I was pleasantly surprised by how well this turned out…it held together better than I expected it to. I topped it pesto and goat cheese. I usually have these ingredients on hand, so I will be making this again!