Rosemary & Garlic Gluten Free Dumplings

PaleoDumplings
I have been a long time fan of Soule Mama. I’m sure many of you are familiar with her. Recently she mentioned she had been making this recipe with rosemary garlic dumplings. The dumplings called out to me. I had to have them—spunky style of course ;-)
After making them and remaking them half a dozen times, I’m finally satisfied, and happy to share my gluten free dumplings recipe with you. I hope you love them too.

Rosemary and Garlic Gluten Free Dumplings

(casein-free)
Add to bowl:
3 whisked eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup almond flour (I use Bob’s)
2 tbsp butter, ghee or palm shortening (as tolerated)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh finely chopped rosemary (or another 1/4 tsp Herbs de Provence if you don’t have fresh rosemary)
1/8 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Mix with electric mixer and let rest for ten minutes or longer. (The longer it rests the thicker it will become.)
When the broth is simmering (I use about 6 cups of broth) add the batter one heaping tablespoon at a time (a tablespoon that you eat with, not the measurement).
I don’t try to make the batter pretty as I plop it into the broth. Also, I usually don’t wait very long to put the batter in, so it’s still quite runny, and making it pretty isn’t an option.
You can get six or so dumplings into the broth with this amount.
When all the batter is in, bring the broth back to a simmer.
Reduce the heat to low and cover with the lid, but keep the lid cracked a little bit.
Dumplings will be done in about 20 minutes. Like magic they have become full and plump.

Comments

Oh my, these look and sound so good!!! I can’t wait to order the Herbs de Provence so we can try these. Thank you so much:)

Oh yes. I saw that post too. I sighed. I didn’t know how to make it into our-kind-of-food. We’ll be making these this week. Thanks for doing the leg work!

I’ve been looking for a good GF/DF dumpling recipe, but have quite honestly been too scared to try any. Are these as dough-y as real dumplings? If so, I want to hug you!

I have some of the same questions already asked (are these good to put in chicken and dumplings?), but my these look yummy! :) Could I sub something else for the tapioca flour…perhaps more almond flour or g.f. oat flour? (allergic to rice, so couldn’t do rice flour and no tapioca on hand) Thanks for sharing! :)

• says

Arrowroot flour/starch and potato starch are usually acceptable substitutes based on density. If you don’t have a starch, try more coconut flour, but I cannot guarantee the results.

For the past week, I have been trying to make GF biscuits (trying being the operative word). I have not succeeded. These look nice, and I will use them as a topping for my GF chicken pot pie, with biscuit crust. I would LOVE to learn how to adapt and develop recipes as you do, and to take a gluten-filled book and be able to turn it into a wonderful GF recipe as you do. Can you write an article giving us some pointers? That would be absolutely amazing. Thanks!

Thank you, Kelly. I just told my family last night I wanted to make dumplings & then saw your post a few minutes later. Our family really enjoyed them. It was quite filling on its own.

In answer to another comment. I wouldn’t say they are “doughy” but definitely a delicious alternative! So quick & easy too.

I stored our leftovers separate….dumplings in one container & stock in another. I was concerned they might get mushy.

Thanks again!

7. Elena says

Thank you Kelly. You are so creative! I was going to ask if you can possibly use your talent and replicate some recipes for small pies.I recently purchased a book on Amazon.com “Cuitie Pies” by Dani Cone and am trying to make some recipes gluten fre,casein free for my grandson. But my every attempt failed so far.

I really and absolutely love your blog. I have become a dedicate follower and I WILL be trying your recipe. You have inspired me to start my own.
    I have mentioned on of your recipes on my blog please feel free to view.

Once I get the recipe down, I’d like to make them into small dumplings for Chicken Paprikash. It’s been YEARS since we’ve been able to eat it, and it was a staple in my husband’s house.

10. Sherry says

I’m finding a ton of recipes that look really good and can’t wait to try the dumplings. I just wish you had a print button so that I didn’t have to copy and paste so much, sure hope they turn out. Thanks!