Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread

glutenfreepumpkinbread

The other day my mother-in-law called Andy asking if I had a gluten free  pumpkin bread recipe. “Do you have a pumpkin bread recipe?” he asked me, holding the phone. “I think so. I don’t know. Do I?” I said. “Can she use the pumpkin muffin recipe for bread?” they asked me. “I don’t think that would work, but I don’t know. …maybe.” I fumbled.

Then I looked on my site, and I couldn’t find a pumpkin bread. It’s possible that it’s on there, buried in the archives and hiding from me… Anyway, I decided to make (a new?) one. It was really simple. I just based it on my popular gluten free banana bread recipe. If only I had made two loaves, because we’ve already eaten almost the whole loaf as I type… :-)

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread

(gluten-free, grain-free, low glycemic index)

Add to bowl:
1 cup pumpkin puree
4 room temp eggs (cold eggs will harden the coconut oil)
1/3 cup coconut sugar
3 tbs liquified coconut oil, or ghee
1/4 tsp vanilla liquid stevia, you know we’re big fans, but omit if needed :-)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if nuts are tolerated
1/2 cup raisins

Beat with electric mixer. Line the bottom of the loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper, then grease the walls where the paper doesn’t cover. Scoop batter into the loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.

Makes one loaf.

Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for my free Paleo Pasta eBook, more recipes, and subscriber giveaways!

Comments

1. Barbara B. says

Your loaf looks awesome. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I was also wondering what size loaf pan you used. Thank you!

2. babs says

I just made this loaf and its delicious! I cut the recipe in half, and used all the ingredients as written, although I did end up adding an extra 1/5th cup pumpkin puree by accident, but it turned out moist in the center and absolutely yummy! Definitely a keeper.

I love your banana bread so I am tempted to try this one. Do you think butternut squash would work instead of pumpkin? I have an open can of it and prefer to use that up. Have you ever made muffins with this recipe?

I have made a lot of things with coconut flour and this is by far one of the best. I omitted the tapioca flour and added 1 additional tablespoon coconut flour. For the sweetener I used 2 tablespoons honey plus nunaturals vanilla Stevia extract. I also let it cool completely before slicing. Thanks for the great recipe!

Hi Kelly!

I just found your blog a couple days ago and just made this bread. Delicious AND great texture. I used 1/4 c buckwheat flour 1/4 c almond and 1/4 c coconut, and substituted erythritol for the sugar. Do you have any experience with erythritol? I know, it sounds like one of those terrible sugar alcohols that give you gas, or worse, are carcinogenic, but this one is super. I’ve researched it extensively and cannot find anything bad about it (used in the EU, Japan, AU since the 80s and the FDA gave it its highest food safety rating). Plus, it is absorbed about 90% in the small intestine and excreted unchanged in urine so it doesn’t cause cramping or gas. I’ve used it about 1:1 in recipes calling for sugar. It’s slightly less sweet than sugar, and when eaten plain has a bit of a “cool” taste, but no bitterness and tastes great in baked goods. I’m going to make the yellow cake this weekend and top it with your homemade nutella–can’t wait! Thanks!

I can’t wait to try your recipe, but would like to know if using Eggbeaters to sub for the 4 eggs will be a problem. Thanks!!

Hi Kelly! It’s been a long time since I’ve been here because although everything you make has always looked yummy, I couldn’t have eggs for the longest time. Now I’m feeling better (auto-immune) and can tolerate eggs here and there! WOOHOO! So, in also wanting to keep this holiday season low on the nuts, too, I came back here and am baking this loaf as I type :) I don’t know how it will turn out…I subbed 1/2 banana for the honey and used a little bourbon vanilla, but hopefully it’ll still be as yummy as your picture looks. Thank you for making recipes, and sharing them, with all of us girls with allergies and auto-immune stuff. It makes being back in the kitchen encouraging rather than stressful! You ROCK! Congratulations on your fun cookbooks and great success to you and yours!

8. Lisa Perry says

I’m posting for others but mostly as a note to myself so I’ll know what to do the next time I bake pumpkin bread I’ll know what I did. ;) Delicious! A double recipe made 4 perfect tea loaves. I used homemade vanilla instead of vanilla stevia and subbed a combination of barley malt and honey for coconut sugar. It turned our very well. Baked for 40 minutes. Thanks, Kelly, for your awesome recipes and site. I refer it over and over again to others.

9. Meliss says

This sounds great.
    What could you use as a substitute for the arrowroot flour? I can’t seem to find it locally and would love to make this cake.
    Thanks