Blueberry Pie with Gluten Free Crust

glutenfreeblueberrypie
The holidays are right around the corner, which has me thinking about pie :-) My dear friend, Becki, is the pie queen when it comes to holiday pies. Many years ago (Becki and I have been friends for over ten years) I marveled at all the pies she would make for Thanksgiving or Christmas. But when I used to feel the need for pie, I would go out and buy one. Not anymore of course. Since starting our restricted diet seven years ago I’ve conquered homemade “cheesecakes,” pecan pie, apple pie, and more. One at a time. Today I decided to go for another one of my honey’s favorites: blueberry pie.
I based this blueberry pie on my Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Rhubarb needs more sugar than other pies though, so I was able to use half as much sugar as the strawberry rhubarb pie, and it came out plenty sweet enough. I also used an egg in place of the applesauce/chia seed meal in the crust, which you can do if you like.

Blueberry Pie with Gluten Free Crust

Gluten Free Crust

Pre-bake my gluten free crust for only 5 minutes. Set aside.
Note: I’ve been making this crust without the baking powder, and it’s been turning out fine.

Blueberry Filling

Add to medium size pot:

About 5 cups frozen blueberries
Note: Do not defrost them. We’re going to use their liquids and coconut sugar to make a syrup.
1/4 cup coconut sugar (which is low glycemic index)
10 drops vanilla liquid stevia

Bring to simmer over medium heat.
Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, strain the blueberries from the liquids and add them to a bowl.

Simmer the liquids for another 10 minutes.
At the end of the 10 minutes, whisk 2 teaspoons agar powder into the bubbling liquids.
Turn off the heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons arrowroot (tapioca flour would probably work also).

Add the thickened syrup to the blueberries in the bowl (the blueberries should still be hot so the agar doesn’t start to harden).
Add the filling to the partially baked crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for another 7 minutes only.

Let cool on the counter for half an hour, chill in the freezer for half an hour more, then serve.
(It’s meant to be room temperature—the freezer just speeds up the process :-)

Comments

Kelly, you mention your pecan pie. Is the recipe in one of your cookbooks? And if so, which one? I searched but didn’t find it on the web.

Yum! This looks scrumptious. I already love, love, LOVE your strawberry rhubarb and no-bake pumpkin pie recipes; now I’ll have another flavour to add to my crowd-pleasing pie repertoire. I can’t thank you enough for all the beautiful recipes you create :)

This looks so good! I am a huge blueberry fan and will eat them any way I can…and a yummy pie is a great way to pack in those amazing antioxidants without even realizing it.

4. Jackie says

Hi Kelly, you mentioned something I have been curious about: replacing the chia and applesauce for egg in the pie crust….so did you use one egg or two for this? And do you leave out the applesauce completely? I used two eggs in the Butterfly cookie recipe from your Grain Free Cookbook the other day (we used Halloween shaped cutters), but I left in half the applesauce…they tasted great but the texture was a little soft, so I’m still trying to figure it out. For some reason chia bothers me? :( BTW, you’re known by first name at our house! Thanks so much for being a baking genius; our 4 kids (grain, dairy, and refined sugar free) love you for it! They always say they want to meet you. :)

Kelly-

Your pies have brought me back to the days when I waited tables at a very famous pie shoppe chain back in high school.

My boys are enamored with your pumpkin pie, and this blueberry one is now on my to-make list for this weekend…

I’ve sent many a reader and autism mama your way when they seek GFCFSugarF recipes.

I have made your blueberry pie at this moment, and can’t wait to taste it when it has cooled. It looks delicious. Do you mind if I translate the recipe to norwegian and post it on my blog? I will link the post to your blog.

Ellen

Kel, this is Nancy! I have been using your recipes for 4 months everyday! My first time abstaining from eating grain It has been life changing. I have growing finger nails and am anxietyless.
    My husband laughs when I say thing’s like (we are shopping) Kel, uses this liquid stevia..which I love, need to purchase, or Kelly would love this glass piece…! One day I’ll tell him Kelly will be here for supper could you set the table with the orange plates!
    Thanks for making my world healthier! ncherven@yahoo.com

8. Hannah says

Can I substitute date sugar or honey perhaps in place of the coconut sugar? If so, would I need to change the portion size?