Walnut Bean Brownies, Egg-free, Gluten-free, GFCF

sodabread
This weekend I soaked and cooked some navy beans and made this soda bread from my baked goods cookbook. I think it’s my favorite bread in the book. I love the taste, and I love the way it rises and looks so pretty on top, without any yeast.
glutenfreebeanbrownies
There were two cups of navy beans leftover. What to do, what to do? I decided to try an egg-free walnut meal brownie using the extra beans. These brownies came out even better than I had imagined. Everyone ate them up, even the picky eaters. We love the walnut flavor, but you could most likely substitute another nut meal. If you want to use something like brown rice flour it would probably work but you would have to experiment. (Maybe you would need less?)

Walnut Bean Gluten Free Brownies

Egg-free, Gluten-free, GFCF
Puree walnuts in a food processor to make 1/2 cup meal, plus 1/2 cup for topping (optional).
Remove walnut meal and set aside.
Add to blender or food processor:
2 cups room temperature cooked navy beans (soak in hot water first if beans are cold, then strain) Note: I think red or black beans would work also.
1 tsp Chia Seed Meal (I grind my seeds in a Magic Bullet or coffee grinder)
1/4 cup grapeseed oil or coconut oil, liquified
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Puree very well.
Add:
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup walnut meal
Puree.
Scoop into greased square baking dish.
Optional: Top with extra walnut meal or dairy-free chocolate chips.
Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes.
Store in the refrigerator.

Comments

Great recipes, Kelly!

Going to try those bean brownies soon. I haven’t tried bean-based brownies yet although I truly want to.

And I would absolutely steal those oven mitts. They match the colors in my kitchen and dining.

Hope you have a lovely rest of the week,

Hannah

Yum! I’m trying to do no (or really close to no) sweeteners right now due to allergies and some other stuff, so I’m really intrigued by this recipe. Do you think I could add more stevia and omit the honey? I might try it and let you know. :)

I have a bunch of leftover black beans in the fridge so I am totally going to try this. I am less-than-impressed with my previous version of black bean brownies so I’m looking forward to a change :)

Hi Kelly, I made these with some changes and they were very good, although wet, so I baked for an additional 10-15 minutes.

For the honey, I used 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce and an extra 1/4 tsp vanilla creme stevia.

For the apple cider vinegar, I used lemon.

Thanks for the recipe!

I just heard from my osteopath that many digestive issues happen b/c people don’t get enough beans in their diets. See? It’s a good excuse to make these! They are necessary for good digestion! :-)

Kelly – I finally made your Irish Soda Bread recipe last night, and I can’t believe how good it is! I’ve made bread and cake from beans before, or from coconut flour, but never had I tried a recipe combining the two. What a perfect texture and taste! This is definitely my new favorite grain-free bread. I can’t get over how well it turned out! Thanks for a super recipe :) I’m going to try a chocolate version next I think…

Jana, I used honey and some molasses, and they were really good. I need to get some stevia. This was a great recipe. Next time I will make them ahead so I can leave them in the fridge to firm up for a while.