Apple Crisp by Iris from The Daily Dietribe

Thanks so much to Iris for today’s guest post! I do love how simple and quick it is :-) Check out more awesome recipes by Iris on her site: The Daily Dietribe. ♥, Kelly

When Kelly asked me to write a guest post for her, I knew immediately that I wanted a recipe that said Summer. Then I was gifted with a delicious box of apples and had to come up with a way to use them all. So my plan for peach crisp turned into apple crisp. Of course, when I think of apple crisp, I think Fall. But really, you can make this crisp with any type of fruit. Blueberries, peaches, strawberry-rhubarb. The topping is the star of the show here; the fruit merely a tasty supporting actor.

In addition to being delicious, this dessert is also easy to make. My goal here was to make something simple, as I’m sure Kelly isn’t looking to spend a lot of time in the kitchen right now with her new baby girl. The topping itself takes about a minute to put together, and while the apples need to be cut, they can easily be replaced with blueberries for a faster prep time. Pop it in the oven and you’ve got dessert 30 minutes later. Serve it over a scoop of coconut ice cream and you’ve got a very happy household.

Apple Crisp (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
An original recipe by Iris Higgins

Ingredients:
4 cups peeled, sliced apples (about 4 large apples)
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup pecans
1/4 cup coconut oil (at room temperature)
10 dates
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Toss apples in a large bowl with the cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of coconut palm sugar. Place apples in an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish.
Blend the rest of the ingredients in a food processor for 30 seconds. Spoon mixture evenly over apples.
Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are cooked through. Check after 10 minutes and place tinfoil over the topping if it starts to brown too much on top.

Thanks, Kelly, for having me! And thanks to all The Spunky Coconut readers for stopping by and checking out my apple crisp!

Comments

Iris… this crisp sounds fantastic! Apple crisp is one of my all-time favorite desserts [and breakfasts ;)] and I’m always looking for a new recipe to try out. The topping sounds delicious – I’m a total sucker for dates – and I MUST get my hands on some coconut sugar. Thanks Iris and Kelly for this post :).

Thanks Lauren! The dates add a perfect chewiness that I love. And coconut palm sugar is a lovely alternative to brown sugar that I’m only just starting to play around with.

3. Redefined Foodie says

Well this is definetly a thumbs up recipe. I switched it up just a bit. Very good and rich and sweet! This is a great fall recipe!

Crisp is my favorite dessert Iris, and this looks fantastic! I do a similar grain-free one with pecans, coconut, and coconut sugar, but no dates. Fascinating, will have to give it a go!

Thanks everyone!

Shirley, you know I love taking a page from your book and making it simple!

Gaea, blanched almond flour is different from regular almond flour, but I have a feeling you could use either one in this recipe with equally good results.

Redefined Foodie, so glad you enjoyed it!

Rhonnie, grilled apple crisp sounds amazing!

Danielle, thanks! Love the sweetness coconut gives.

Alisa, I’ll have to check yours out! Dates aren’t actually the best thing for me, but they worked so well in this I had to add them.

Debbie, I don’t see any reason why pecan meal wouldn’t work. Hazelnut meal would work too if you can do that.

Sara, you’re welcome! :)

6. Susan M says

I wanted to eat the topping right out of the food processor!! I subbed Blackberries for the apples. It was sooo yummy! With the almond flour in there for protein I just ate it for my dinner :-) Thanks for the great recipe!