Taco potato wedges

In ongoing effort to not use my oven (as much as possible) in the heat this summer, I decided to make potato wedges in the crock pot. I used my friend Stephanie’s technique . They came out really yummy—so yummy we made them twice. We had white potatoes, but next time I’m going to try sweet potatoes. I think sweet potatoes would be really good too.
Taco potato wedges:
Scrub 6 medium sized potatoes and cut lengthwise into quarters.
Toss wedges in a bowl with:
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp gluten-free taco seasoning
Note: Do not add oil or liquids to the potatoes.
Pour seasoned wedges into lightly greased crock pot:

Set to 4 hours high, but turn off after 3 hours.
Optional: Broil cooked potato wedges for about 5 minutes for a drier skin.
Drizzle with olive oil and toss in sea salt.

Have questions? See my FAQ page here
P.S. For another variation I would love to use Old Bay Seasoning in place of the taco seasoning (but I’m out of it). That’s how we seasoned potato wedges in my home town of Annapolis, MD :-)

Comments

Old Bay. YUM! Oh the days of summer crab feasts. Going to the docks to buy bushels of fresh, live crabs, going home to spice and steam them, then spending all day swimming and eating crabs. Ahhhhhhhhh. THAT is the taste of summer from my childhood.

I totally agree with keeping the oven off as much as possible in these extra warm times. Your Taco potato wedges sound like a perfect quick and easy alternative. Can’t wait to try them.

Love the slow cooker idea. We must be on a similar wavelength…I took little red potatoes and used my homemade taco seasoning on them. Of course, I boiled them partially and then finished “roasting” them in a foil packet on the grill…but they were still taco potatoes. The slow cooker would have been way easier though!

I need some clarification on the recipe- is tossing in the olive oil and salt optional, or just the broiling part?
    You say to turn the crockpot off after 3 hours and let cool for an hour, so you aren’t eating these hot?

Thanks.

Janis, Broiling is optional, but I guess so is tossing in oil and sea salt. You can eat them hot, I just let them cool then broiled them.

6. Barbara B. says

Okay, my brain is really tired (and I don’t even have a newborn! — HUGE congratulations to your family, btw). After the potato wedges have cooked in the crockpot, you tossed them with the oil and more salt, right? How much salt would you recommend adding? For the photo did you broil them as well? And how long do you recommend broiling them for? Thanks so much for your patience! We absolutely LOVED the photos of Ginger. She is absolutely adorable. Hope nursing is going well for the two of you.

Oh Kelly!!! Your from Maryland!!?? My mom’s side of the family is from the Beltsville area and as a child I spent time every summer in Maryland!! I still have lots of relatives in Maryland, but more spread out now. :-)

Here where I currently live (the Pacific Northwest) it is NOT hot… and so using my oven isn’t a big deal… yet! Saturday is supposed to be hot… OK, for us it’s hot! LOL I will have to give these a try… my guys LOVE potatoe wedges!

And ‘Old Bay’ seasoning… isn’t that a food group…?!! I use that stuff in… well everything!
    Blessings,
    ~Mrs. R

I just love your recipes, kelly! This was such a hit with my kids. We went to church and came home to some yummy “fries”. Since my kids are gluten, soy and dairy free..these were such a treat. A big thank you for always posting practical and delicious recipes.

Ooh! I’m going to have to try this. I do love to put sweet potatoes in the crockpot. Add some dairy free margarine or olive oil and some maple syrup and they are almost too good to be eaten as a main dish. Thanks for the idea!