Slowly but surely I replace my old favorite store-bought items with new homemade healthier ones. I haven’t had Nutella in years. I first had it on a crepe in Rome. Sigh. When I returned to Pennsylvania, where I lived at the time, I began buying it in the store. I look at Nutella ingredients now (sugar is the first ingredient!), and I know I can make it better myself.
Making my own chocolate hazelnut spread was so simple and fast, I can’t believe I haven’t done it sooner 🙂
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (homemade nutella)
1 & 1/2 cups hazelnuts
1 & 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 (3-ounce) bars 70% (or higher) dairy-free dark chocolate
optional: add another cup of coconut milk to make it spreadable straight from the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the skins are beginning to flake off.
- While the hazelnuts are toasting, place the coconut milk, coconut sugar, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the sugar has melted, remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate bars and set them aside.
- Remove the toasted hazelnuts from the oven and let them cool slightly. Rub the hazelnuts in a clean, dry kitchen towel to remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Add the hazelnuts to a food processor and purée until very fine.
- Add the melted chocolate bars to the food processor and purée until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add the milk mixture to the food processor and purée until smooth.
- Store in mason jars in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This spread also freezes well.
—Use this recipe as a filling in my Chocolate Hazelnut Pies.
—Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more recipes, news, and subscriber giveaways!
P.S. In my book, Paleo Chocolate Lovers’ Cookbook, you will also find all sorts of chocolate favorites like donuts, cheesecake, chocolate zucchini bread, cake, brownies, cookies, truffles, even a savory chapter! They are the healthiest chocolate recipes anywhere 🙂