Strawberry Gluten Free Cake

GlutenfreecakeStrawberry
I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe with you as part of Iris’s Birthday Cake Challenge! When I created my coconut buttercream dairy free frosting for those of you who can’t use the nut frostings in my second cookbook, I knew I had to make this strawberry gluten free cake next. Zoe and Ashley both have a birthday in July, and I think this cake screams July and little girls, don’t you? Oh, I’m so tickled with it. If you want to make it less, well.. pink, I would try adding more coloring, and see if you can get it red. Or of course, you could keep the frosting cream colored, or even make it yellow.
For those of you who were asking, I did substitute Earth Balance Soy-Free Buttery Spread for some of the coconut cream in the frosting, and it worked fine. But if you try it and your frosting isn’t as thick as you want it, just add another tablespoon or two of sifted coconut flour. Next I’m going to use Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate, just for fun. Same goes for substituting that: If you try it and your frosting isn’t as thick as you want it, just add another tablespoon or two of sifted coconut flour.

Strawberry Gluten free Cake

(I gave this cake a nice hint of berry flavor by adding 1/8 tsp of Chocolate Raspberry liquid stevia. If you prefer, you could substitute strawberry extract, but I’m not sure how much you would need.)
Add to mixing bowl:
5 whisked eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
2/3 cup arrowroot flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil, liquified (grapeseed oil would probably work also)
Mix with handheld mixer.
Pour equal parts into two round greased 9 x 1.5 inch cake pans.
Bake at 325 degrees for about 18 minutes.
Let cool for a few minutes, then flip onto wire racks to cool completely.
Using a large serrated knife, carefully remove the bottom crust and sides of the cake.
Lay one cake on a piece of parchment paper.
Spread a very thin coat of frosting on top, to keep the berry compote from sinking in too much.
Pour about a cup of strawberry compote on top and spread evenly. (I made my compote by defrosting frozen organic strawberries, straining the extra juice, and giving them a quick spin in the blender.)
Lay the second cake on top.
Cover with my dairy free frosting. Note: I made my frosting this beautiful pink color by using India Tree natural food coloring.
Store in the refrigerator till you’re ready to eat.
After refrigerating it will easily come off the parchment paper.
Optional: Decorate with fresh strawberries, cut in half, and small pink rose petals.

Comments

Not that there was a contest, but if there was, I think you just won it. I want this cake for my birthday!!! Seriously, I might just make this for the actual birthday…

Fabulous, Kelly! And who wouldn’t want pink?? I think it’s beautiful. ;) On another note, I adapted your Spunky Pie Crust (from Grain-Free Baking book) this morning into biscuits and they were heavenly! I used sweet potato puree and pumpkin seeds for the applesauce & almonds–even my hubby loved them! Thanks so much, again. :D

3. Charlotte Moore says

Just curious as to why you cut the crust off the sides and the bottom. It looks so pretty especially PINK.

This looks wonderful! I love that you have a coulis layer in the middle. I have been wanting to try your new buttercream, and I can’t wait to make this cake…we love berries and “cream” type desserts around this house.

I need to get that food coloring! Where do you purchase yours? This cake looks delicious. I think I’ll make this for my Dad’s birthday next weekend. If I made it on Friday night and kept it in the fridge would it be okay for Saturday evening?

This is gorgeous, just gorgeous. My baby Mona Claire is turning 2 in July (funny coincidence). I’ve always wanted to throw a strawberry shortcake birthday Party for my little girl. This cake is perfect! Thank you so much!

that’s a beautiful cake, and yes – all for the pink! I’ve used the juice that is left over from frozen berries after you thaw them, for coloring, and it even adds some flavor.

8. Sarah says

Kelly, this looks so beautiful! And your timing is incredible – my three year-old has been begging for pink frosting, but I’ve held off because I couldn’t find food coloring without all those dyes. I literally just found the India Tree Natural Food Coloring at our Whole Foods, but was contemplating returning it because I couldn’t justify spending $19 (!!) on three little bottles. But my daughter happened to peek over my shoulder when I was reading this recipe, and she said, “Oh, Mama, that’s BEAUTIFUL!!” Seeing her face light up like that, I decided it was definitely worth it! :) Thank you, we’ll be making this VERY soon. !!

Absolutely stunning, Kelly! You knocked this one out of the park, but no surprise there. :-) While I’m sorry you are not tolerating white beans, I’m always happy for you to create a new recipe, especially this sensational cake one. I swear I can almost taste it!

xoxo,
    Shirley

This looks like one divine birthday cake.
    Might make it later in the month for my birthday, as my hubby doesn’t bake.

I’m so jealous–I wish I was a Spunkette getting this cake on MY birthday!

To ease my jealousy, I’m going to make it to celebrate…oh…Thursday or something. :)

Beautiful cake, Kelly! It makes me wish that I could eat my screen! haha. Too bad most of my family’s birthdays have already passed or else I’d want to make this for them!

My daughter was SO excited to see this post! Her 8th birthday party is this month and we have been trying to decide on a cake. I think we found it!

14. Rin says

I forgot to add the REAL selling point. My hubby said this is better than the boxed funfetti cake (which says A LOT coming from him!) and he wants this every year for his birthday. It is his new favorite recipe! Best recipe!

Making this right now … Im not going to color the frosting but add strawberries and blueberries for a fun red white and blue cake … can’t wait! I wonder if I didn’t take the crust off … I just hate to lose any bit of it … why do you have to take it off?

Thanks for all your hard work … Erin

Your cake looks so delightful that I had to link to it in my recent post about a gluten-free cake. Picked up some strawberries at the Farmer’s Market. Their fate is sealed since seeing this post! ;)

Soo excited to find this and make it for baby girl’s 2nd birthday-as she requested a strawberry cake for her special day!

I just made cupcakes out of them and timing-wise it was about 30 minutes and made about 20. I haven’t made the frosting yet but the cake is DELICIOUS!! Who knew you could do gluten, grain, and dairy free and have it taste amazing!

18. Camilla says

So happy I found this recipe! Seriously the best cake ever, gluten free or not. I filled it with a jam made with 50/50 strawberries and nectarines, a little honey and a few drops of stevia. Perfect!