Gluten Free Waffles made with Quinoa and Coconut

glutenfreewaffles
Once in a while I love to make waffles. I would make them more often if I had a healthy waffle maker. But unfortunately, mine is coated in non-stick—the only non-stick appliance I own. If you know of a company that sells stainless or ceramic waffle makers (is there such a thing?) please let me know!
These waffles are based on my gluten free pancake recipe. I just added more flour, and some baking powder. See my corn-free/grain-free baking powder recipe.

Gluten-free Waffles made with Quinoa and Coconut

Add to blender:
6 eggs
1/2 cup quinoa flakes (you can probably substitute almond meal flour)

1/2 cup coconut flour + 2 tbsp

1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free baking powder recipe)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup ghee (which is casein-free) or coconut oil, liquified (grapeseed oil might also work)
1 cup cashew milk

Blend well.

Pour into greased waffle maker, set to high, and almost full.
Mine take about 2.5 minutes each.

Makes 4

PS I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet these would be great for making a few batches at once, keeping them in the fridge, and toasting them throughout the week :-)

Comments

Mmmm, waffles! My (new) maker is nonstick, too–I couldn’t find one without teflon. How did they make waffles before nonstick?? (I guess they used lots more oil). These look fabulous. Even willing to brave the teflon for these! :D

If you want a non non-stick waffle iron, prepare tog o antique shopping. Old Victorian hand-held ones were all metal (even cast iron), and designed to be held over a fire while cooking. I suppose a stove burner would suffice.

You might try Amish kitchen equipment catalogs like Lehman’s.

Here’s the Lehamn’s waffle iron page: http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=waffle%20irons&asug=

I found this place years ago when trying to answer the question “what would I do when the power went out (possibly permanently)?”

3. Gretchen says

How about a cast iron waffle maker? Well-seasoned cast iron is almost as nonstick as teflon, but the seasoning is a lot safer (and more heat tolerant to boot.) I haven’t tried a cast iron waffle maker myself, but that’s how waffles used to be made, and I adore my cast iron skillets.

I found a variety of cast iron waffle makers on a cursory search, so they’re still out there.

Hey Kelly – I tried the non-stick but it was a major bust. I gave up kind of fast though so maybe it’s worth another shot?!???? These look like perfectly perfect waffles!

The kids loved your waffles this am! I can say that the substitutions worked – I only had a 1/4 cup of quinoa flakes, so I added 1/4 cup of almond flour. I also subbed grapeseed oil for coconut oil (because it is 50 degrees here in WI this morning – the coconut oil is hard and I was too lazy to melt it!)
    Thanks for the great recipe!

6. Kristi B. says

I have that round cast-iron waffle maker that Emily refers to…I haven’t gotten it to “work” yet. I use my cast iron skillet daily and love it but haven’t gotten the waffle maker anywhere near seasoned and have had one too many waffle-making/sticking disasters. I’ve pondered buying a new non-stick waffle maker for my waffle cravings but it would also be the only non-stick thing I would own and I just can’t do it yet. I’ve settled for eating more pancakes and buying the boxed GFCF frozen waffles occasionally for my daughter (I can’t eat those because of the cane sugar and they’re probably made on non-stick industrial machinery anyway). Sigh. But your waffles look SOOOO lovely!

7. Rebecca Magliozzi says

how do you get these to not stick to your waffle maker? I can do other gluten free waffles, but coconut waffles just don’t work. I even use the nonstick cooking spray.

8. Jennifer L. says

Funny I should read this post right now, as I just ordered a cast iron waffle iron today. I am, admittedly, not too hopeful that the process will work out, but I suspect that if you can use eggs, cast iron should work fine. My daughter doesn’t eat gluten or eggs and I do not eat grains. Gluten/egg free waffles stuck like crazy to our belgian non-stick waffle iron. It can’t get any worse than that. At least with the cast iron I can soak the whole pan and scrub it out, whereas with an electric appliance, I had to tediously use a chopstick to remove my failed attempt, hopefully without scraping some yummy teflon into our food. I am done, done, done with teflon. I’ll keep you posted on how it works out. We ordered the Texsport Cast Iron Waffle Maker. If we had a gas stove, instead of induction, I would have gone with the simpler Rome version since it seems like thin gluten free, egg free waffles might hold up better. $40 was much less expensive than some of my other cast iron cookware, and the Rome one is just super cheap!

I would not be able to live without my 40+ year old Sunbeam waffle iron. It will take awhile to get the seasoning right on it, but after that…..perfect waffles everytime. And no teflon! Just check Ebay for one of these great antiques….they are definitely worth the little bit extra you will be paying for shipping because they are heavy!

I don’t think I could live without my 40+ year old Sunbeam waffle maker. Once you get the seasoning right….perfect waffles every time! Just check on Ebay for one of these antiques.

My mother had one of those Sunbeam waffle makers – perfect waffles every time.

Cast iron is not as dependable as the old Sunbeam, but they will work. It takes time to get them seasoned just right, and like Jennifer said, at least you can soak the cast iron.

I was wondering if it has to be cashew milk? I know that it will taste different however we use coconut milk and almond milk bases. Just wondering. Thanks

My family is in LOVE with these waffles. We love to add chocolate chips and swap out the milk (or most of it anyway) with double the amount of cooked and pureed squashes. Sometimes a little cinnamon. Yum! Thanks!

These waffles are great! My husband doesn’t like coconut, but loved these. They were a hit in our home! I love that you have cooking options that don’t use rice as I can’t have it! Also, I can’t have Tapioca so I substituted potato starch and it worked great. Thanks for this recipe!

15. Susan P. says

Made these with almond milk instead of cashew milk b/c I forgot to soak the cashews. They a little more cakey than we are used to but still good. I am thinking the extra fat from the cashews would have helped make them a little crispier

I am literally eating these waffles as I type this! SOOO yummy & a hit with my 19 month old who has all the allergies :-( I love your website!! I also just finished making cashew cheese! Yes!!

Cheers, Kristyn

17. Melissa says

Oyster now make a ceramin waffle maker. they have other ceramin products too that replace teflon coated kitchen staples.