5 minute Cashew Mac-N-Cheese & book signing in Florida this Saturday

macncheese
We’re getting ready to leave for my mom’s in Florida so I’m trying to use up all the food in the fridge. I’m afraid I’ve done too good of a job though. We’re almost completely out, with more than 24 hours left to go. Oh well, I’d rather run out early than waste food, right? :-) So I had to reach in the pantry for lunch today, and use up some pasta. Zoe was thrilled of course, because this recipe is her favorite thing to eat.
I should warn you, this probably isn’t anything like real mac-n-cheese. Zoe, who will be 9 years old in July, doesn’t remember ever eating real mac-n-cheese. She was 2 when we found out she was reacting to gluten and dairy. Ashley was just a baby, so she’s never even had it in her life.
So if your kids are new to eating this way, you may want to make them another mac-n-cheese, like Cybele Pascal’s. Here is the link to her mac-n-cheese.

zoeletterI also wanted to share this letter that Zoe put in my suitcase before I left for the expo. How cute is that?!
And one more thing before I give you my recipe. If you’re near Fort Lauderdale, Florida I’d love to meet you this Saturday, May 7th, at 3:00! I will be hanging out with my family at BREW, near the Riverwalk, and I’d love to see you! You can bring your books for me to sign, and I will have some you can buy too. Here is the address to BREW.

5 minute Cashew Mac-N-Cheese

Add to pot of boiling water:
2 tsp salt

Boil for about 14 minutes.

While the noodles are boiling add to blender or food processor:
1 & 1/4 cup plain cashews
1 cup water
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp ghee or grapeseed oil
1 tsp Herbamare
1 tsp lemon juice

Puree till creamy and smooth.

Add more cashews for an even thicker sauce.

Strain the noodles, then return them to the pot used to cook them.
Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir.

Thickens slightly after cooling for about 5 minutes.

Comments

That mac ‘n cheese looks good, Kelly. Good AND simple–perfect combo! :-) Love the letter from Zoe … too, too cute. ;-)

All those Ft. Lauderdale folks are so lucky to have you do a book signing’ They will benefit from your loving, peaceful presence and many cooking talents just as I and others did at the Expo!

xoxo,
    Shirley

2. Julie Robbins says

Looks yummy! It’s amazing to think that an American child has never had Mac and Cheese. We went healthy about 2 years ago, which meant no more dishes like Kraft Mac and Cheese. I made Mac & Cheese a couple months ago and my two-year-old called it “green beans” because of the shape. My 5-year-old said, “What’s this called?” and my 8-year-old accidentally called it “oatmeal.” He, he, he.

Oh my! YUM! I will so be making these. My kids have no idea what real mac ‘n cheese tastes like. They would LOVE this one! And that picture and note from Zoe is just wonderful! That was way too sweet! Tell her she is quite the artist! ;)

4. Catherine says

Kelly,

So excited you are in my area! I am going to try to stop by Saturday to say hello! :)

Thank you! Just made this for our lunch on this fine chilly Saturday. We all loved it. My 7 year old is a huge fan. So glad to have an alternative to cheesy mac and cheese. And so glad to have found your site.

Thank you for this recipe. Just made it for our lunch on this fine and chilly Saturday. My 7 year old loved it and is excited to have me pack it in her school lunch. So glad to have such a tasty alternative to cheesy mac and cheese and to have found your blog.

7. Laura says

I just made this, and it totally hit the spot. I was doubtful, because sometimes cashews have a strong flavor for me, but this was perfect. I didn’t soak the cashews. I used Vogel’s vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth or the herbamare. I just used salt instead of the herbamare. Also, I only used 1 cup water total (not the other 1/2 cup broth), because I wanted it to be “cheesier”. I used it with the quinoa-corn pasta, and it was delicious!!!!! And soooooooo easy. Thank you so much! I’m so happy to have an easy and healthy comfort food dish to make.

Made this for lunch today but we didn’t have any chicken stock. Still pretty good. Will try it again when we remember to buy some chicken stock.

9. Nancy B. says

This was wonderful! Comfort food and fast too. I can’t do nutritional yeast that’s in most cheeze, but I never thought about just leaving it out. I’ll make this again.

10. Maya says

Hi Kelly!

I just made this tonight and it was De.Lish.Ous! As another poster mentioned, I witheld a little water to make the sauce little “cheesier” and since I didn’t have the original Herbamare (I had Herbamare “Ocean”), I added a bit more sea salt, 2 teaspoons of Nutritional yeast and used coconut oil instead of grapeseed oil. It was wonderful! My Italian friend who’s quite sad he can’t make me any of his famous cream sauces now has hope he can use your recipe to make some new dairy-free creations! Thanks again :)

LOVE ur food! I made this in a large quality last year for my son who is autistic too. He was hesitant bc of the pasta & he gets overwhelmed by portions. Anyway I added sweet potato & carrot purée & baked them in cupcake tins & then froze them. He LOVES it!! I need to make more today & thought I’d pass on the trick since u help us SO much. Thx