Paleo Taco Pie

PaleoTacoPie
My husband battled with me over the name of this recipe. He calls it a “fancy burger with fries,” while I call it a “taco pie.” I can see his point. The potatoes on the bottom are like fries, while the meat and condiments are rolled into one filling on top. But the spices are what give it that taco-like flavor for me. And I like to add black olives and guacamole to mine—very taco-like. In the end I had to go for calling it a taco pie, because I couldn’t bring myself to call it fancy :-) Even if it is just a burger and fries in a different format, is it really fancy? Haha, I don’t think so. But isn’t it sweet that my husband thinks it’s fancy?

Paleo Taco Pie

Brown 1 pound of organic (preferably) grass-fed beef or 1 pound of organic ground chicken
Drain the fat and set aside.
Saute about 10 minutes:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Add onion and garlic to the meat.
Add:
1/2 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes
1 tsp Herbamare
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
1/3 cup Bob’s almond flour
2 tbsp arrowroot flour
3 whisked eggs
Combine.
Line a greased pie dish with potatoes or (sweet potatoes for Paleo), sliced about 1/4 inch thick, and seasoned with Herbamare. Overlap them slightly.
Pour meat mixture over potatoes and spread evenly.
Cover (I use and upside down stainless cookie sheet) and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Optional: Remove lid after 20 minutes, top with Daiya dairy-free mozzarella and continue baking uncovered for the rest of the time.

Comments

That looks tasty. So cute that your husband called it fancy. It does look a bit fancy, I think. And definitely tasty.

I saw your post and was inspired to make hash for brunch today. I hardly have anything in the fridge–I have to go to the grocery store, but I made a ground beef and potato hash with a few veggies, and the hubs is getting eggs so we can have eggs and hash and maybe some tangerine juice and sparkling water so we can have something non-alcoholic to go with our meal.

Have a nice weekend,
    Hannah

This looks wonderful, I cannot wait to taste it.
    I love olives and cannot find healthy olives. What have you been able to find?
    Thanks,
    Betsy G.

This came out really good. I definitely will be making it again. I actually did one with ground beef and a second with 2 cans of lentils instead of the beef and both turned out well.

Hi Kelly! I support your taco pie title. We make a dish we call tamale pie for similar reasons. In our version, there’s a layer of corn masa (sort of like polenta), then carnitas pork or another taco-esque meat filling, plus some veggies like onions and peppers, some tomato, then another layer of corn masa. It’s a “pie” made with the makings of a good tamale. The cumin and chili powder spices in your ground meat, plus the veggies, definitely sound taco to me! =)

Cheers, Pete

Kelly — I don’t understand the potato reference in the recipe. It says to layer the dish with potatoes but in the ingredient list I couldn’t find a reference to potatoes. Did you mean the sun-dried tomatoes? Am enjoying your recipes and your blog!

I cut back to 1/4 cup flour, added salt, and used fresh tomatoes (sauteed with the onions) rather than the sun-dried, which I didn’t have. :) My husband really liked it! I thought it was good– a little bit dry– so I might mix cheese in with the meat next time. I’m definitely making it again. Thanks!