Nutty Gluten Free Banana Bread (dairy-free, sugar-free)

glutenfreebananabread
This pregnancy I have been craving one thing above all else. PROTEIN. I can’t get enough of it. So I decided to try pumping up my gluten free banana bread recipe with quinoa flakes and almonds, to get more protein in. You may know that quinoa is the only grain that is a complete protein (technically, quinoa is a seed, not a grain, but you get what I mean). I’ve been loving it even more than usual for this fact, eating cooking quinoa with stir-fried chicken and veggies for lunch or dinner, and quinoa flake porridge for breakfast.
Yesterday I was in the mood for some banana bread, but only if I could get more protein in it. Usually I have to make a new bread recipe at least twice (usually more) before it works. Amazingly, this one was a hit on the first try. Full of eggs, quinoa flakes, and almonds, this bread is high in protein. Plus, it tastes really good =) My family doesn’t like the taste of quinoa flour, but we love quinoa flakes. They’re much milder. The quinoa flakes and the almond butter give this banana bread a great nutty flavor. I think you will love it.

Nutty Gluten Free Banana Bread

Add to bowl:
2 mashed bananas
6 eggs
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar (which is low glycemic index)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp sea salt
Blend.
Add:
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 cup lightly toasted diced almonds
2 tbsp coconut oil, liquified
Blend.
Pour into 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 bread loaf pan, lined with unbleached parchment paper and greased.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

Comments

1. Angie van der Leek says

Kelly! I can’t believe I have JUST found your site! I found you through ELana, and I just ordered chocolate reaspberry and vanilla creme stevia. I can’t wait to start making some of these yummy GF Sf CF recipes. You are a blessing! I was just diagnosed last year at the age of 46 with celiac and a host of other food allergies. I have recently begun the daunting task of trying tom eliminate refined sugar, cane , beet etc. I have started using coconut crystals for sweetening and using stevia in my smoothies etc… Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I don’t mean to ask an ignorant question, put here goes: do you grease the pan or the parchment paper? I’ve only been gluten free a few months and not always sure about new things.Thanks for your help. I really have liked a lot of the recipes on your site. Keep up the great work!

Bobbie, I would think certified GF oat would work, but I can’t be sure.

Angie, Thank you so much. Big hugs :-)

Jacquie, I grease the pan anywhere the parchment doesn’t touch. I line the two long sides and the bottom with one long piece of parchment (down one side and back up the other side), so the short sides are bare, and I grease the bare sides :-)

Meagan =)

Gorgeous photo, Kelly! I look forward to trying this one. I love using quinoa flakes in recipes. I think the combination of proteins in this bread would be especially good. :-) It seems that I have more first-time successes with baking new recipes when I pack in the proteins and flours. Not sure why, but it seems to work. ;-)

xo,
    Shirley

5. melissa says

Do you think I could use egg replacer in this also? I’m afraid there are to many eggs for it to work. Maybe some chia eggs? Thanks!

Melissa

Hi!
    Bobbie, I would definitely use Quick Oats because Quinoa flakes are MUCH thinner than regular oats.

Thank you Kelly for a wonderful recipe. We’ve got the bananas and are ready to dive in!

So glad that this pregnancy is going well for you.

Take care,
    Barbara

7. SarieF says

I made a gluten-free turkey meatloaf with quinoa flakes today!
    I think I’ll try this one tomorrow! I’m loving the quinoa flakes!

Just took the bread out of the oven, and tomorrow I will use the rest of my frozen, ripe bananas to make another loaf. So yummy – my daughter will be less bummed about returning to school after spring-break with this banana bread in her tummy! Thanks!

Jessica, Quinoa flakes are like quick cooking oats, and they taste much milder than quinoa flour.

Tstanley2, They are similar. Different trees I believe.

I am making this for the second time! Kelly, thank you so much for sharing your BRILLIANT recipes!! You’re amazing!! :-) Happy Independence Day!

Cheers,
    Annie

RE: # OF EGGS IN RECIPE
    Melissa asked about using an egg replacer. Coconut flour recipes require more eggs to give loft to the super fibrous flour. Usually you will need 2-3x as many eggs and often more leavening than with other flours.

If you use egg replacer, you’d need to use 2-4x as much as the package calls for when baking with coconut flour and it still will not rise as much. Egg replacer doesn’t have the same volume as eggs.

I made this recipe as directed and found it wasn’t sweet enough and seemed very dry. I made it again with honey and found it more moist. I plan to try it with more banana as wel as the banana flavor was so faint. 1 medium banana = about 1/3 cup mashed. I want to try this with 1 cup of banana next time.