Banana Chocolate Pie with Gluten Free Pie Crust

gluten-free-banana-chocolate-pie
I have been craving a pie with a pudding-like filling. The other night I looked at three ripe bananas in the fridge, and the light-bulb went on. I quickly began assembling my ingredients: Dates, bananas, raw cacao powder, vanilla, nuts for the crust. Zoe became very interested. “What are you doing, Mommy?!” she asked. “I’m going to make a banana chocolate cream pie. Want to help?” I said. “YES!” she answered.
We got out the food processor and blitzed some walnuts to add to the crust. I don’t know why, but I think the walnuts make this gluten free pie crust taste a little more like a graham crackers! Maybe it’s just me ;-)
Zoe gets such a kick out of using the food processor. But then, after we finished the crust and put it in the oven, we couldn’t get the food processor to work for the filling. The machine was “on,” but it just wouldn’t go. …Oh, no. Try and try, and still it wouldn’t work. Hmm…
So we threw the filling ingredients into the Blendtec instead. “I don’t know if the blender can do this,” I warned Zoe. And guess what? It did. It even pureed the dates (which were soft-ish, but not soaked first) like you wouldn’t believe. “Yea!” we shouted in support of the blender, bouncing up and down and cheering the blender on.
We waited for the crust to cool before adding the filling, then put it in the freezer, and licked the spoonula and the blender dry.
Next my husband came up from his office, and we broke the bad news to him. “The food processor is broken.” Zoe said sadly. “Gone.” I added dramatically. He looked at it, and saw that we had put part of the lid on backwards. After turning it around, it worked perfectly fine. “Oops!” I laughed.
A couple hours later, we had such a lovely banana chocolate cream pie—oh my! Haha. We covered the remaining pie back up, and put it in the fridge. (I was only cheating with the freezer to get it to set up more quickly. It’s meant to go in the fridge.)
I hope you and your loved ones have as much fun making and eating this pie as we did :-) I think it would be excellent for Easter or Passover, so I’m going to add it to Our Spunky Holiday!

Banana Chocolate Pie with Gluten Free Crust

Gluten Free Pie Crust

This crust is the same one I always use, and have posted before. The only change we made was to substitute some walnut meal that we pureed in the food processor. You could use the original recipe (almond meal flour) if you prefer.

Add to bowl:

3 tbsp flax seed meal OR 1.5 tbsp Chia Seed meal
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp applesauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
Mix with electric mixer.
Add:
1 cup walnut meal flour (walnuts that have been pureed in the
food processor) OR almond meal flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
Mix again.
Roll out the dough.
See: Video on how to roll out and transfer this dough. Or simply pour the pie crust mixture into the dish and press it into place with your hands.
Bake the crust at 350 degrees for about 12 to 14 minutes.
Allow the crust to cool.

Filling

Add to food processor or blender:
8 pitted dates (soak first to soften if they are very dry)
3 ripe peeled bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder OR cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
Puree till creamy and smooth.
Add to cooled crust. Freeze for a couple of hours (if you want it to set up quickly), then store in the fridge.

Comments

Well, you know, isn’t a Blendtec supposed to blend everything? :-> I found out the hard way that a normal blend won’t blend dates when I started making raw desserts (didn’t break anything, but it was a mess).

Sounds pretty yummy, by the way!

This looks absolutely delicious! Something different and tasty. I have a question about the ingredients. Can I replace the Vanilla Creme liquid stevia with something else since I don’t have that on hand and I’m assuming it won’t be in my small town grocery store? Any suggestions?! Thanks so much. :)

Wow, this pie looks fantastic! Cannot wait to try it out. Great idea to sub walnuts for the almonds this time! Looks like a keeper; thanks so much for sharing! Cheers.

That looks amazing! I really want to make that for my dad. He’s a type 1 diabetic so he has to watch the sugar. But two of his favorite sweets are chocolate and banana cream pie. Ooh la la!

5. Barbara B. says

Kelly, you have now spoke my love language! Banana cream pie is my absolute favorite. I cannot wait to make this! Thank you so much!

This would make a perfect Sunday treat, so I think that is exactly what I am going to do this weekend. This just looks wonderful!
    And I had to laugh, because when you said your Food Processor just would not go, I was going to ask if the lid was on right. I did the same thing not too long ago and my husband walked in, did a little adjustment, and boom! Worked perfectly! Glad to hear I am not alone! LOL

7. babycatcher says

I found this recipe while looking for something else and I’m SO glad I did! I made this for a dinner party for friends who are gluten/dairy free. It was scrumptious! I’m definitely adding this to “Family Favorites.”

@Becca – I used plain stevia powder and vanilla extract since I had both on handm and wasn’t willing to shell out for flavored liquid stevia ;)

I read the ingredients, and I went ‘mmmm’. I love how you use nut meal & coconut flour in your crust. I’m certainly trying your crust for my next pie:)

9. Amy says

Oh My! is right! I made this for Easter and it was a hit with the adults. My 94 yo grandmother said it was the best pie she’s ever had! The crust is definitely better than the recipe I’ve been using, but next time, I will either make more filling (for my 10-inch) or use less crust in a 9-inch pie. I used 1/2 tsp stevia powder instead of the liquid in the crust. And I didn’t have dates, so I used a little less than 1/2 C honey for the filling. I used 1 1/2 tsp of the chia and it seemed to work pretty well (filling).

This is just what I needed to read today. I’m gf and sugar free again. Health issues. Headaches. Long story.

I miss you, friend! Playdate soon? I still have a couple of things of yours I need to give back to you, too.

Thanks, Kelly! I just made this. Figured out the hard way that dates don’t pit themselves – no harm done. It’s delicious!

12. Andrea says

Yum, just made this last night – my first Spunky recipe and my husband couldn’t believe how yummy it was! I want to make a batch of the filling and just eat it like pudding – fantastic :) So glad found your site.

13. Erica in Pemberton BC says

Kelly, thank you so much. I love your recipes. I made this 2 days ago and me and my 2 kids have devoured it. It seems you and I have similar taste in sweets. We are wheat free, egg free and dairy free and I turn to your site almost daily.
    Thank you!!!!!!!!! Ps we also love the vegan pumpkin pie!

14. Marisa says

I made this crust today to use for a different recipe and OMG it is so good! This is the first pie crust recipe I’ve found that I actually like and I have been gf for almost ten years. I used pecans and almonds this time which turned out really well. This is a great recipe and one I can see myself making again and again. Thanks Kelly!

Dearest Kelly – just wanted to say a quick hello from Sydney! I made this for dessert tonight and it went down a treat. Will be sampling many more – looked exactly like the picture – came out beautifully. Much much wellness to you!