Mock Peanut Butter Cups

homemade_peanut_butter_cups_2

Even if my kids didn’t have allergies, and I weren’t celiac, I would still prefer homemade Easter candy. Do you know what drives me crazy about store-bought candy? The refined sugar, the dairy, the gluten, and the peanuts. Try finding candy without those four ingredients. It’s nearly impossible. I know there are a couple out there that are refined sugar-, dairy-, gluten-, and peanut-free, but they are few and far between. However, this isn’t meant to be a rant about candy :-) Besides, how amazing does this candy look…

Are we feeling deprived? No way!!! Making homemade peanut butter cups was easy. It was just a little time consuming (lots of steps).

Homemade peanut butter cups *

*Mock peanut butter, that is. We’re using sunflower seed butter, or you can use almond butter.
Add a couple teaspoons of melted dairy-free chocolate to about 12 mini paper cups. (I melted about one bar over a double boiler. No, my chocolate isn’t 100% sugar-free—I use Chocolove 73%) If the chocolate in the cups is too warm, stick the tray in the freezer for just a minute.
Then, using the back of a spoon, brush the chocolate up the sides of the cups.
You want the sides to have a good coating, not too thin.
HomeMadePeanutButterCupsStep_1
After each has a good coat of chocolate all around, put the tray back in the freezer while you whip up the filling. For the filling I used my Frozen Sunbutter Fudge recipe, cut in half.
HomeMadePeanutButterCupsStep_2
Fill each one to the top, and freeze for a few hours, or until it’s solid.
Optional: Pipe the top of each with frosting (cut this recipe in half also), and add sprinkles. I used Marigold Orange decorating sugar by this company.

Keep them in the freezer until serving. Perfect consistency approximately 15 minutes after taking them out of the freezer. They will liquify again at room temperature after an hour or two, so do keep them cold.
Also, here is my 5 months photo :-) I feel amazing. This pregnancy is so wonderful, knowing that I’m celiac this time. When I’m hungry I eat, and I feel satisfied. Such a difference. That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t mind eating all day long (haha!) but it’s a big change from when I was pregnant with the Zoe and Ashley, and I never felt nourished.

Thanks to those of you who have already sent me your entries for Our Spunky Easter Holiday, and for those of you who haven’t yet, please do! If you don’t have a blog, just email me your photo and recipe and I’ll include it too. Click for the details here!

PS I hope to see you in Chicago! Click for my presentation time, and come see me as I’m selling books in the vendor fair :-)

Comments

Look delicious! I’m, gasp!, allergic to coconut AND dairy AND soy (as well as celiac!). Any other substitute you recommend?

Funny, I had just been thinking of making our own chocolate and nut butter cups, but to fill it with your sunbutter fudge would be even better! That looks incredible! Can’t wait to try it (and I just bought some French Vanilla liquid stevia to try some of your recipes that call for it :), thanks Kelly!

You look amazing Kelly! I am so glad you are feeling nourished! I was so sick during my pregnancy, I never felt nourished and was sick the whole time. Needless to say my health went downhill after giving birth, it took doctors 7 years to find out what was wrong with me. I am happy you get to experience the joy of your pregnancy this time around! :) Oh, and thank you for the recipe, I was just thinking today about what I was going to do for Easter candy this year, and here it is!!!

Looks yummy! I think I am going to make this for my family… as a surprise :o) We used to LOVE the easter egg reese cups. But yours looks so much better :o) You look good!

Hi Kelly, this is Tessa from mypearfectlife.com
    I am so in love with your blog and I own both of your cookbooks, which are amazing. What I like most about your blog and recipes, is that you also add a lot of nutrition information and extra things we can add to our food to make them even more nutritious.
    My question for you has nothing to to with food (lol)
    Our family has made the switch to a healthier lifestyle not only in food but in our household and toiletry products. Doing this has become more expensive and we have cut out other things so we can offered to keep this lifestyle. I was wondering what kind of products do you use at home?
    soap, shampoo, d.o. toothpaste and cleaning products?…I was doing a lot of shopping at Wholefoods but had to stop. It was getting waaaay to expensive. On the bright side I have found a couple of affordable products we like and now use. I would love some recommendations from you… Sorry this comment is so long lol. I look forward to hearing from you. Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Hi Kelly

you look amazing! that belly is so cute. Just glowing:)

I too noticed an astounding difference between my first 2 pregnancies (undiagnosed) and then my last pregnancy (diagnosed). Huge. MY first 2 pregnancies I was incredibly ill and lacked energy. I also gained about 40 lbs with each. My pregnancy with Sarah was unbelievable. I never once felt nauseous. Rarely tired and only gained 24 lbs. Sarah’s (birth weight) was a full pound smaller than my previous 2 but my nutritionist said that is to be expected on a GF diet. IT sure wasn’t for lack of eating that’s for sure. My recovery was quite amazing as well. Midwife suggested chicken soup as much as possible after delivery. What a difference that made!

I am thrilled to learn that you are having such a wonderful experience. A & Z must be getting so excited to be mommy’s little helpers!

xo
    S

Thank you guys for your comments!

I dont’ know what to sub for coconut, so sorry!

Tessa, I should do a post on that. Great idea! :-)

Stephanie, I keep thinking about your comment, so I had to come back and say that I don’t agree with the doc who told you that at all. I gained 60 pounds with Zoe and 60 pounds with Ashley, eating massive amounts of gluten, and they were not big at all. Ashley was 6.5 pounds and Zoe was 7 pounds. If what he said was true, then they should have been 10 pounders ;-)

PS So glad you mentioned the chicken soup! I’m going to freeze some that I make in the crock pot this summer, so my sweetie can heat it up for me after the baby comes :-) (Andy doesn’t cook… at all ;-)

Do you have any idea how much I LOVE you Kelly? Thank you so much for this recipe, my little guys are going to love these (although, we have to use carob for the time being but they seem to like it). They just polished off the second batch (in 2 days) of your brownies, LOL!

xo,
    Heidi

Hi Kelly, I made the fudge (without the chocolate cups because I was out of chocolate. shocking, but true, lol), and the fudge was amazing! I had just ran out of almond butter, so I used natural peanut butter and it tasted exactly like the filling in the reese peanut butter cups. Even both my kids can’t get enough! I’ll be getting some chocolate soon and making them into cups next time, so they’ll have some chocolate treats for Easter. Finally, an Easter (or anytime) treat I approve of! Thank you, thank you!

Stephanie

Kelly – do you think these would work using Enjoy Life chocolate chips instead of a dark chocolate bar?

Homemade easter candy is SO much better! When my first nephew was born, my sister found a funny mold and made him homemade chocobunnies for years. It was amazing and tasted much better than anything store bought. Fun to do too!

14. Whitney Mathew says

The link for your frozen sunbutter fudge is missing. Could you please fix it. Mock peanut butter cups looking amazing.