Almond & Spice Bean Pie dairy-free, refined sugar free

Several days ago my friend sent me the link to this Bean Brulee Tart. (Am I getting better known for beans now than coconut? ;-) She said I could easily adapt this recipe, and she was right. I just changed the evaporated milk to coconut milk and the cup of white sugar to a third cup of coconut sugar (which is unrefined and low glycemic index).

I added arrowroot powder since the original recipe called for flour. Also, I thought some almond extract and allspice would be nice. A lemon variation would be good too, don’t you think? A few drops of lemon extract, a little lemon zest. Mmm.

I didn’t give mine a crust because it was my first time making this, and I didn’t want to waste my ingredients if the pie didn’t turn out. Next time, if I’m not feeling lazy, I’ll use this pie crust. (Note: There’s no need to pre-bake this pie crust since it’s going in the oven for half an hour.)
Almond & Spice Bean Pie
Add to blender:
1 cup cooked white beans (I used navy beans that were soaked overnight, and cooked in the morning)
2 eggs
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp allspice
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup oil (I used half ghee, half coconut oil, liquified)
Puree till creamy and smooth.
Add to greased pie dish.
Rather than broil mine afterwards, I sprinkled the top with another tablespoon of coconut sugar before baking. It didn’t brown as much as I was hoping, but you could brown yours in the broiler if you use a tart pan. I used a glass pie dish which can’t go in the broiler.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Let cool, then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Comments

LOVE this idea!! Thank you!! If you don’t mind, I’m going to link you to my blog. Every time I see your recipes, I can’t get over how amazing they look!! This looks like one we need to try asap. :)

2. Nancy B. says

So I just zipped into the kitchen and made this. I filled 4 custard cups. It’s as good as it looks. I was drooling over the original picture yesterday, but couldn’t bring myself to use all that flour. This is great! I bet it will be even better when it cools. Thanks, Kelly

Brilliant (but what’s new there ha ha!). You’ve outdone yourself again. Love almond, love allspice … giving this a try this weekend : ) Thanks Kelly.

Hi Kelly,
    This looks great! On a similar note, I’ve been thinking about making the flourless brownies from the whole foods website made with black beans– and butter and a whole lot of sugar. Would you just sub coconut oil for butter and use coconut sugar for sugar and reduce the amount? Or is there more that you would do?

This looks incredible, especially with those berries on top. Sounds like a perfect pie for valentines day! I’ve never baked with beans before, so im curious to try this… Thanks for sharing your version!

Teenie Foodie

My family loves your bean cake recipes. It is the only way I can get my 5 year old to even go near beans.

I was wondering how long beans will stay fresh after you cook them? I’ve been soaking and cooking a big pot on the weekend and using them for soups, chilis and your cakes. I like having the cooked beans ready to go during the week, but am not sure how long they are good for. Thanks!

The information that is popularly referred to and quoted that says coconut sugar is low glycemic is dubious and has been proven to be false.
    Also it is not a sustainable sugar. (please check Tropical Traditions for information on coconut sugar.They won’t sell it for these and other reasons).
    I thought this was important information. Continued use of coconut sugar should be based on all the facts and I just wanted to share what I came across. I no longer use it in my baking…
    I love your beautiful work and delicious recipes! Congratulations on your upcoming baby… you look radiant!

This looks delicious. We need to bake without eggs so if you could share your recommendations for an egg free variation (ripe bananas, egg replacer, applesauce, flax, chia, etc) I’d really appreciate it.

Made this last night, was loved by all! Turned out really well. Added zest and juice of one lime, subbed brown sugar for coconut sugar as didn’t have it, added a few tablespoons of almond meal, and gave it a base made out of dates and almonds! Great recipe, would make again!!