Spinach Artichoke Pocket Pies

SpinachArtichokeDipPieI set out to make spinach artichoke calzones this afternoon. I made some a couple days ago, but I wanted to make a few changes to the crust. These came out amazing, and so much better than the first try (which wasn’t bad), but they also didn’t come out as calzones. They came out as spinach artichoke pies. And I’m soooo excited! The crust is flakey and fabulous, just like a great pie crust should be. The filling is so creamy and delish no one would ever know these pies are dairy-free. I hope you like them too!

Spinach Artichoke Pies

gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free, vegan

The Spinach Artichoke filling

Puree:
1.5 cups white beans (like navy beans)
2 tbsp artichoke heart liquids
3/4 tsp Herbamare
When the beans are creamy and smooth add the puree to a bowl with:
24 oz of artichoke hearts, no liquid (I get the glass jars that are 12 oz)*
1 cup Daiya mozzarella (or preferred dairy-free cheese)
16 oz frozen organic spinach that has been strained through a kitchen towel (to remove as much water as possible)
Combine and set aside.

Gluten free Pie crust

Add to Bowl:
1/2 cup applesauce (with no added sugar)
4 tbsp Chia Seed meal (I grind my seeds in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet. 2 tbsp seeds is equal to about 4 tbsp meal)
Optional: For egg-users: add two eggs and omit half of the applesauce and all of the chia seed meal.
2 tbsp water
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil, liquified
Mix with electric mixer.
Add:
1 & 1/4 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob’s)
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
Mix with electric mixer.
Reach into dough with a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
Pack it down slightly and level it off.
Knock the dough out of the measuring cup, onto a small piece of unbleached parchment paper.
Fold the paper over the dough and press down to create a circle.
Pull the paper back, flour the dough slightly and roll it into about a 6 inch circle.
Use your hands to go around the edges, gently pushing them in for a nice circle shape.
Add a couple heaping tablespoons of the filling to one side of the dough, as shown above.
Lift the paper and roll the dough over the top of the filling, as shown above.
Peel the paper back and touch up the dough with your fingers if necessary.
Use a fork to poke the top of each pie.
Place the pies on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes.
(Keep an eye on it, as oven temperatures vary.)
Makes six lovely spinach and artichoke pies. Yum :-)
*I like to save my artichoke heart liquids for pasta, dressing or dip.

Comments

This looks like such a great recipe. I haven’t tried any dairy-free cheeses, so I’ll have to experiment a bit.

Can’t wait to try this at home.

So great!

I’m definitely going to make this, or a variation of it. Unfortunately my husband is not a big spinach or artichoke fan, but I could substitute tomatoes or red peppers or something else…I would eat this, though! :D

Kelly, these look amazing! I can’t wait to try out this dough!!!!! Do you pack your flours in? Or spoon it into the cup? I bet these would be a perfect and very filling lunch and snack option!!

I’ve been looking for a grain free popkin dough recipe. Hurray!!!! I’ll be using it very, very soon. Not sure about the filling. I’ve got broccoli in the refridge, so it’s the likely victim.

Thanks guys!

Beth, If you can get Daiya I highly recommend it for these :-)

Hannah, My husband wasn’t so crazy about the spinach either :-) Next time I’m going to fill his with something like rice, tomato, meat, Daiya.

Yes, the liquids in the jar of artichokes.

Meagan, Do you mean do I pack the dough in when I scoop it up before rolling it out? If so, yes, slightly. I don’t pack the flour in when I’m making the dough.

I WISH I could get Daiya in bulk! I don’t know if it freezes well though. Anyone else know?

6. Susan M says

I have frozen Daiya Cheddar and then added it into a casserole without defrosting it. Baked it immediately and it worked just fine. Have not frozen and defrosted though. My kids love it and even my husband thinks its okay…he’s a dairy boy!

Looks amazing! I wonder if this would make a good pizza dough as well?
    Quick question…do you grind your chia seeds into meal each time you use it or could you grind a bunch at one time and store it in a glass jar in the freezer?

Kelly-
    This looks very good.
    One question? Can you post what you would use if you were to use rice, tomato, meat, Daiya, etc like you said for your hubby? That sounds much! more like the kind of filling I would like…since I don’t really have much of a like for artichokes or spinach even. Thanks! Ari

9. Jenny L. says

The gluten-free genuis at work again. These look so good. I have all the ingredients except the cheese. I can use flax instead of Chia seeds, right?

I like the way your recipes/posts make me feel like I might actually be able to bake something yummy and gluten/dairy-free. I like to cook but haven’t baked much. I have never attempted a regular piecrust dough, so it seems scary to start out with gluten-free, but I am going to give it a try.

They look like spanakopita! Its a savory filling of cheese and spinach wrapped around flaky phyllo dough. I haven’t had spanakopita since going gluten and dairy free. Thanks for the inspiration Kelly! I can’t wait to make these!

Oh my goodness! These look fabulous! I actually took a bag of frozen spinach out of my freezer the other day and have been wondering what I’m going to do with it ever since… I now know! I’m making these tomorrow night for dinner!

Mmm this looks delicious! My favourite flavours; spinach and artichokes.. Thanks for this. I’ve been looking for a good pie crust recipes and I like the way you have presented it. Great recipes, sounds like a perfect complete meal!

Teenie Foodie

Kelly- update… I made these for dinner tonight for me and my two young boys- ages 3 and 13 months. Holy cow did they ever devour them (great kid food)! I made a few modifications to your recipe but kept the concept the same. I’m going to blog about my success with them tomorrow… stay tuned.

I just have to say thank you for the inspiration of these. I have thought so many times how I would love to make GF calzones, but thought it just not possible without the gluten. Now I know that I can, and I’m going to be making these (with different fillings) on a regular basis.

Oh my goodness Kelly, these “pies” you are making lately look so, so incredible. I love the bean idea and want to work on trialing this recipe without the Daiya. That stuff is expensive!

I made this for dinner the other night, well sort of. I made the dough, but didn’t have time to roll them into pockets. So, I made a shepherds pie filling and topped it with your dough recipe. It turned out perfectly!!

16. gk says

I made these, and they were great! Everyone loved them. One strange thing was that I made a second batch of dough (and made a total of 12 pies) and there was still filling left over. Not sure what happened there!

17. Honey Cakes says

I just made these so yummy!! Can anyone suggest a substitute for the coconut oil. Im not a big fan and could taste it in the pastry! But am def making these again. So easy!

18. gk says

@Honey Cakes: Oh, also, when I subbed in the olive oil, I replaced the coconut flour with extra almond flour (more than the amount of coconut flour called for, and I omitted the water). So, that’s a totally coconut-free option.

This is perfect! I need something to send to the sitters and to school. But my biggest worry here is the almond flour. Our school is 100% nut free, making the Almond flour not an option. What type of flour should i substitute?
    Any suggestions would be great!
    oh, and do the pockets freeze well? I could use a day in the kitchen and these would be perfect to fill it!

These look awesome; I can’t wait to try them. You know what would make these even easier? A tortilla press. I have a cast iron one that I use that would make these the perfect thickness and size in just a couple seconds:) After I make these, I’m going to try omitting the spices for some agave to make pumpkin pasties! Thanks for the awesome recipe:)

21. Madison F. says

My mom helped me get started& then I finished these all by myself rolling them and adding filling. It was a really nice hot dinner right from the ovening after a long day. Thank you SO much, your recipes are the best. <3

Thank you so much for this recipe!! I made these tonight and they were a hit with my whole family (four boys and my husband and I) which is a rare occurance due to the picky ones. It even worked with the allergy elimination diet I am doing right now (I did alter the filling a bit) which means there are very few ingredients that fit the bill, but these worked and really hit the spot. Thank you, thank you.

Need your expertise, no eggs, or chia seeds for one of my children. We can use egg replacer from the box. I am not clear if we cut back on the applesauce, based on your feedback to those using eggs. Unfortunately, my child is intolerant of flax, chia, fish oils, etc. Thank you for sharing your recipes, they have been a blessing.

hey kelly, i haven’t made these in a long time, but finally did again last night. just wanted to let you know that i made your cashew cream and used that instead of the beans and it worked beautifully!
    ;)noosh.

I’m so excited to try these. Maybe tomorrow… Thank you so much for sharing your genius with us.

Anonymous – we use pear sauce in place of applesauce. You can whiz a can or 2 of drained pears in a food processor or blender.

Gina – we use cashew flour in place of almond or any other nut flour. It’s never not worked.