Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Pockets

glutenfreepotpiepocket
I had some leftover chicken that I needed to use, and I thought a pot pie pocket sounded really good. We used to love pot pies before we went gluten-free, and like my gluten free chicken nuggets / strips, we haven’t eaten pot pie in ages. I can still picture us in the kitchen of our first townhouse, making pot pie. How I loved comfort food. And I still do.
Andy loved this pot pie pocket, but he said he would prefer a traditional pot pie to this pocket style. I think it’s funny, he thought there was too much crust. My how times have changed. Back in the day there was no such a thing as “too much crust” or too much breading of any kind. We were carb fanatics. Not that this crust is high carb, it’s actually low carb. And full of protein. But in the old days it was just carbs carbs carbs.
But he’s right, this crust would be excellent presented as a traditional pot pie, or even in large ramekins with crust only on the top. Those are always pretty. If you decide to use this crust for a large pie dish or to cover ramekins, this video on how to roll out and transfer my dough may be helpful.

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Pockets

gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

Saute:
3/4 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
While that’s sauteing, make the sauce:
Add to pot over low to medium heat:
2 tbsp ghee (which is casein-free) or coconut oil
When the ghee or oil has heated add:
2 tsp arrowroot flour
Whisk and let it cook for about a minute.
Add:
1 cup cashew milk
Whisk until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and add:
1/2 tsp Herbamare
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
Whisk together.
Add to bowl:
sauteed veggies
about 2 cups finely chopped or shredded cooked chicken (I used leftover roasted chicken)
and the sauce
Combine.

Gluten free Pie crust

Add to Bowl:
1/2 cup applesauce (with no added sugar)
4 tbsp Chia Seed meal (I grind my seeds in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet. 2 tbsp seeds is equal to about 4 tbsp meal)
Optional: For egg-users: add two eggs and omit half of the applesauce and all of the chia seed meal.
2 tbsp water
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil, liquified
Mix with electric mixer.
Add:
1 & 1/4 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob’s)
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1.5 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp onion powder
Mix with electric mixer.
GlutenFreePotPie_Dough_2 GlutenFreePotPie_Dough
Reach into dough with a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
Pack it down slightly and level it off.
Knock the dough out of the measuring cup, onto a small piece of unbleached parchment paper.
Fold the paper over the dough and press down to create a circle.
Pull the paper back, flour the dough slightly and roll it into about a 6 inch circle.
Use your hands to go around the edges, gently pushing them in for a nice circle shape.
GlutenFreePotPie_Dough_2
Add a couple heaping tablespoons of the filling to one side of the dough, as shown above.
NOTE: The filling in the photo above is not the chicken pot pie filling. I just put it in to illustrate the method :-)
GlutenFreePotPie_Dough_3
Lift the paper and roll the dough over the top of the filling, as shown above.
Peel the paper back and touch up the dough with your fingers if necessary.
GlutenFreePotPie_Dough_4
Use a fork to poke the top of each pie.
Place the pies on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 22 minutes.
(Keep an eye on it, as oven temperatures vary.)
GlutenFreePotPie_Dough_5
Makes six lovely pies. Yum :-)

Comments

This is an excellent idea. I love the hand pocket design. I’ve made gluten-free, dairy-free pot pies before (using almond milk in the base, etc) which was really tasty but I like the portability of this.

Also, I bet my husband would LOVE this version. I think I may try this one as well as a sort of ‘pizza’ version with the Daiya cheese.

Thanks for the cooking inspiration!

oh, you read my mind!!!!! I just cooked turkey legs tonight, so tomorrow I’ll make your pot pies with my leftovers!

Kelly,

This looks so goood. I am a huge fan of almond and coconut flours!. I am wondering though if ossible to use eggs in place of the water and chia and applesauce? Any ideas how to substitute?

Thanks guys!

You probably could leave out half of the applesauce, plus the chia meal, and add an egg, but I can’t be sure since I haven’t tried it yet myself. Next time I’ll make them that way and let you know. :-)

I tried these a couple of nights ago and it turned out super yummy! I was thinking of trying ham and vegan cheese next. These beat out Hot Pockets any day. Thanks for the inspiration.

These look so good, just wondering what else I could substitute for the apple juice in the crust as my son is allergic to apples/citrus too. Maybe some nut milk?

Awesome, Kelly!

Jeanette, Can he have pears? Pear puree might work. If not maybe nut milk. I’m just not sure how much nut milk you would need. I would add it gradually and mix until it looks like the picture (the one with the crust in the bowl).

Kelly,

I have to tell you, I just found your blog about a week or two ago. I am absolutely in love with it and so thankful to have found it. We have always eaten well in our house but recently I’ve embarked on an elimination diet that’s eliminated dairy, gluten, and much more. I feel AMAZING and am excited to continue eating this way. Your blog is such a great resource. Thank you!!
    P.S. Would love to have you stop by my blog sometime too. :)
    P.P.S. Colorado – totally a dream of ours… we’re visiting this summer again but we would LOVE to have the opportunity to move there at some point in the future. :)

I made these as pot pies last night. The dough was enough for 8 tops, but I filled the bowls pretty full so only got 4 pies out of them. I stuck the rest of the dough in the freezer, so we’ll see how it holds up and I can make more later.

I just have to say – the filling is so decadent and delicious – I was in heaven. How can you miss dairy with amazing food like this???

10. Rachel says

I love your recipes so much! I just wish there was nutritional info at the end of them for us calorie trackers!

11. Grace Beebe says

Hi, I would like to might try to make these, they look really good! I was just wondering, for the sauce, could you use rice milk or almond milk instead of the cashew milk? Or would that change the taste? And for the coconut oil or ghee, could you just use canola oil? THANKS!!

THANK YOU!! I’ve been looking for a hand pie to give my kids for lunches to avoid bread all the time. The crust was mind boggling but now problem solved. I can’t wait to try this in our home!